BBO Discussion Forums: Play partial or 6 - competitive bidding horrendous - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play partial or 6 - competitive bidding horrendous GIBidding

#1 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-April-25, 04:51

you tell me.

Hand 1

Hand 2 why not 3NT showing heart AND spade stoppers? Very fortunate did not bid 6 (even after the double. have seen that too)

vrock

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-April-25, 07:19

Hand 1:
- why you don't just try 3nt over 3d.
- GIB doesn't really play fast arrival in minor suit game sequences. Probably it should, and tend to bar itself after partner jumps to 5m generally. But you can see from the blurb you are showing 17-19 with 5c which is a quite a lot on your 11 count. So maybe you should content yourself with 4c and if it considers that non-forcing and passes, rather than bidding 5c, that you might well be high enough and haven't missed anything. At least until they change things such as 4c is GF and 5c fast arrival.

Hand 2:
-From the blurb you can see that 3c is very minimum, so maybe you should just pass this.
- agree that it should try 3nt with both majors sort of stopped. GIB isn't really great at offering 3nt when it should in competition, it's hard to cover all possible auctions.

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-April-25, 22:11

Hand 1 2 is GF so expect to get high when you later show a fit AND values
Hand 2 you cuebid twice. Only -1. I think you have your bid. Why did Gib bid 2C to hear it's own voice. Simple pass why make a free bid. Apparently because a free bid doesn't show extras. What a silly method.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-26, 00:35

I don't think 3c is so bad. It's descriptive, showing a real club suit but a min hand. As opposed to some 4333 balanced min crap which passing should show. Showing real club length can help South judge over further competition, like whether to go to 4c or not.

2d already showed an inv hand with a club fit, you definitely want to compete to 3c at least, it's perfectly fine for North to go ahead and bid it right away, which adds some description before East can raise spades or rebid diamonds (on some other hand than actually posted). There's plenty of other bids available for North to choose with stronger hands, I don't see why 3c should show extras. Normally if you are forced to a certain level, rebidding a suit, even if pass becomes available, doesn't show anything extra.

#5 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-26, 08:01

Always check what 4 minor means before jumping to 5 minor on any auction. Very often, with GIB, 4 will be the one you want to choose.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users