• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Racism Hate filled comments

#21 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-April-30, 14:21

View Postplayplay10, on 2018-April-30, 07:18, said:

I believe I am entitled to know what the consequences of his actions are. I wonder if there are any?

If I were you I would be collaborating with BBO and my national police to discover if the offender can be pursued by law.
If you, the offender and BBO are all in different countries it could be impossible, but if at least two coincide it might not be.

#22 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-May-01, 08:33

View Postpescetom, on 2018-April-30, 14:21, said:

If I were you I would be collaborating with BBO and my national police to discover if the offender can be pursued by law.
If you, the offender and BBO are all in different countries it could be impossible, but if at least two coincide it might not be.

I don't know about other countries (I'm in the US), and IANAL, but I don't think racial epithets can be prosecuted because of the 1st Amendment. We have civil rights and hate crime laws, but you actually have to harm the target in some way, or pose a credible threat. Free speech allows you to say hateful and hurtful things, e.g. you can go around shouting "I think all <name ethnic group> should be eradicated!". It only becomes illegal when you take action or incite others to action.

This is the price we pay for living in a free society -- it's not always comfortable.

#23 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-01, 12:38

View Postbarmar, on 2018-May-01, 08:33, said:

I don't know about other countries (I'm in the US), and IANAL, but I don't think racial epithets can be prosecuted because of the 1st Amendment. We have civil rights and hate crime laws, but you actually have to harm the target in some way, or pose a credible threat. Free speech allows you to say hateful and hurtful things, e.g. you can go around shouting "I think all <name ethnic group> should be eradicated!". It only becomes illegal when you take action or incite others to action.

This is the price we pay for living in a free society -- it's not always comfortable.

Every respect for that Amendment and the reasoning behind it, but it's not universal in free society. In many European countries the epithets cited here would constitute a crime, even if the author has no means to put people in gas chambers or whatever.

#24 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-May-01, 13:22

View Postpescetom, on 2018-May-01, 12:38, said:

Every respect for that Amendment and the reasoning behind it, but it's not universal in free society. In many European countries the epithets cited here would constitute a crime, even if the author has no means to put people in gas chambers or whatever.

I said I was only speaking about the US. It's not clear how any of this could be prosecuted if the perpetrator and victim are in different countries, which seems very likely. They might violate a law in the victim's country, but their law enforcement wouldn't have jurisdiction to arrest the perpetrator.

So the best you can reasonably hope for from this is that we ban them from BBO.

#25 User is offline   John Dick 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-May-04, 05:41

I feel very strongly that playplay10 should be supported in this matter. It would appear a simple matter to bar the offender from all connection with BBO and announce on the forum that this has been done. I am sure all BBO players would not want to be associated with such behaviour.

it seems incredible that, apparently, no action has yet been taken.

#26 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-04, 06:32

View PostJohn Dick, on 2018-May-04, 05:41, said:

it seems incredible that, apparently, no action has yet been taken.

Action has been taken, not sure why you'd assume it's not the case.

Closing this thread. Please report abuse issues to abuse@bridgebase.com, Forumers can't suspend offensive BBOers or deal with abuse issues, but BBO's Abuse department can and does so - even if it won';t share the follow-ups later on.

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2018-May-04, 07:22

#27 User is offline   playplay10 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-May-20, 10:24

I’m back after again being targeted with hate comments .

I will not change where I come from Israel to appease people.
I have sent screenshot to BBO .
What are they going to do about it. Can we have a definitive rule that racism means an automatic ban from playing on BBO????

#28 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-May-20, 15:10

View Postplayplay10, on 2018-May-20, 10:24, said:

I’m back after again being targeted with hate comments .

I will not change where I come from Israel to appease people.
I have sent screenshot to BBO .
What are they going to do about it. Can we have a definitive rule that racism means an automatic ban from playing on BBO????

We do ban users for this type of thing. But it's hard for us to prevent them from creating a new account and coming back. We do the best we can.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users