• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Racism Hate filled comments

#1 User is offline   playplay10 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-April-24, 07:33

I am writing to complain about the upsurge in anti Semitic comments I have been receiving. As well as the usual "idiot" comment I was recently told to go to the "gaz chambers where my family are waiting for me ".

I put my country as israel. I took a picture of this and sent it to BBO but the player is still playing and has had no consequences for his hate crime comment.

I want to know what BBO is doing to deal with this problem which is happening at least once a day when I play.

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2018-April-24, 07:54

I'm sorry that's happening, and of course the player in question should be banned if what you say is true, but these reports should be sent to the abuse email and not posted on these forums!
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   playplay10 

• Pip

Posted 2018-April-24, 08:02

Unfortunately there has been no action from BBO which is precisely why I am writing it here.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-April-24, 08:04

View Postplayplay10, on 2018-April-24, 08:02, said:

Unfortunately there has been no action from BBO which is precisely why I am writing it here.

I moved it to the General BBO Discussion forum, since it's not about bridge in general.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-April-24, 08:09

I'm trying to find the report, but I can't find any ticket with your username in it. Do you have a ticket number?

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-April-24, 09:52

View Postplayplay10, on 2018-April-24, 07:33, said:

I am writing to complain about the upsurge in anti Semitic comments I have been receiving. As well as the usual "idiot" comment I was recently told to go to the "gaz chambers where my family are waiting for me ".

I put my country as israel. I took a picture of this and sent it to BBO but the player is still playing and has had no consequences for his hate crime comment.

I want to know what BBO is doing to deal with this problem which is happening at least once a day when I play.

FWIW, I'm normally quite in favor of freedom of expression, however, even for me anti semitic hate speech is way over the line.
To me, the punishment for this sort of thing should start at long term bans...
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-April-24, 19:01

I feel truly sorry for you. Whilst all of us must have endured a nasty comment or two on here, when it becomes a hate-filled racist rant it crosses a line where Bridgebase need to deal with it swiftly. Such language should not be tolerated whatsoever.

#8 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-April-25, 02:24

View PostFelicityR, on 2018-April-24, 19:01, said:

I feel truly sorry for you. Whilst all of us must have endured a nasty comment or two on here, when it becomes a hate-filled racist rant it crosses a line where Bridgebase need to deal with it swiftly. Such language should not be tolerated whatsoever.

I fully agree with you.First thing all of us remember is that all of us are HUMANS.It is inhumanly to admonish or make objectionable unsporting remarks on any one when we are playing a GAME and NOT POLITICS or any thing else.Personally,I would banish such a player FOR LIFE unless he openly expresses an apology.

#9 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-25, 03:46

View Postmsjennifer, on 2018-April-25, 02:24, said:

Personally,I would banish such a player FOR LIFE unless he openly expresses an apology.

I would have left out "unless he openly expresses an apology". I would rate the chance of a sincere apology when faced with a ban as slightly smaller than the chance that a bridge cheater will stop cheating.

#10 User is offline   bkenner 

• Pip

Posted 2018-April-25, 04:17

I hope that this has been properly passed on to BBO and expect they will take appropriate action.
There is no room for this type of "speech" in society let alone in the bridge community.

#11 User is offline   Egarofalo 

• Pip

Posted 2018-April-25, 05:51

Not sure why it needs to be posted in a specific place. When BBO is made aware of this sort of problem it should investigate it immediately

#12 User is offline   playplay10 

• Pip

Posted 2018-April-25, 07:02

The ticket number for my complaint is # 696484

I have sent more pictures of what was texted to me to abuse@bridgebase. That number is #697260.

Thank you for all the support. this is not new I have been playing here for many years. However there is no question that that the rudeness and the hostility has grown immensely. There is no doubt that being "removed by the host" give people a lot of power and is very readily used after there is name calling.

I also do not know why this post was moved. This is for sure about Bridge and our enjoyment on this site. Hate is hate and cannot be allowed. I believe strongly that the person who said those hateful sick comments should be barred for life from BBO.

#13 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-25, 08:09

View Postplayplay10, on 2018-April-25, 07:02, said:

The ticket number for my complaint is # 696484

I have sent more pictures of what was texted to me to abuse@bridgebase. That number is #697260.

Thank you for all the support. this is not new I have been playing here for many years. However there is no question that that the rudeness and the hostility has grown immensely. There is no doubt that being "removed by the host" give people a lot of power and is very readily used after there is name calling.

I also do not know why this post was moved. This is for sure about Bridge and our enjoyment on this site. Hate is hate and cannot be allowed. I believe strongly that the person who said those hateful sick comments should be barred for life from BBO.

I agree completely. There is no place here for such comments. In my profile, at the very top, is the statement "Zero Tolerance for Behavior". That is my number 1 priority, and I will remove players who violate it.
When my partner makes a bonehead play, I will either state "Nice Compression Play" (Compressing 9 tricks into 7 for example), or the question "When did you learn to play? I know it was today, but what time today?" (Unless my partner has proven that he knows what he is doing, and then I usually say nothing.)
If it gets serious, I will report it, but that person will already have been removed from my table.

#14 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-April-25, 08:53

I've passed on the details of this incident to our Director of Customer Service and CEO (uday@bridgebase.com).

#15 User is offline   Left2Right 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-25, 09:21

I agree with the need to post this sort of incident when nothing seems to have done.

One thing: Why not post a screen image of the incident. When certain Israeli and Italian players were caught using secret signals, Bridgewinners.com posted the entire detail of how the cheating was accomplished along with Kit Woolsey's expert analysis and of course the names of the perpetrators.

No expert advice is needed in this case, but identifying the offender is.

Nothing serves a perpetrator of wrong doing more than anonymity.

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-25, 09:35

View Postplayplay10, on 2018-April-25, 07:02, said:

I also do not know why this post was moved. This is for sure about Bridge and our enjoyment on this site.

Hateful comments are not a bridge topic, and something specific to BBO is also not a bridge topic. That’s why this thread was moved.

Unfortunately, while the players in question should definitely be banned, they may simply sign up again with a new nickname. Cheaters can do the same. This is why many people (myself included) believe that BBO should require ID for accounts. They can still provide the anonymity they value by not disclosing the real names.

This sort of thing can be achieved by, for example, charging a small amount by credit card and then refunding it back.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#17 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2018-April-25, 13:36

View Postplayplay10, on 2018-April-24, 07:33, said:

Send a message to Uday he's the boss of BBO. I'm sure he'll be horrified by your story and will move swiftly to deal with it
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#18 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-April-26, 09:21

View PostLeft2Right, on 2018-April-25, 09:21, said:

I agree with the need to post this sort of incident when nothing seems to have done.

One thing: Why not post a screen image of the incident. When certain Israeli and Italian players were caught using secret signals, Bridgewinners.com posted the entire detail of how the cheating was accomplished along with Kit Woolsey's expert analysis and of course the names of the perpetrators.

No expert advice is needed in this case, but identifying the offender is.

Nothing serves a perpetrator of wrong doing more than anonymity.

Our policy is that the forum should not be used to publicize any complaints about specific BBO users, and we will remove any identifying information from the forum. Abuse and cheating issues should be handled privately with our Customer Support people.

When we receive abuse complaints we do not provide details of the rectification we've taken to the complainant, for privacy reasons.

We're sorry that the initial complaint was not handled adequately. As I said, I've escalated it to the appropriate people in management.

#19 User is offline   playplay10 

• Pip

Posted 2018-April-30, 07:11

View Postbarmar, on 2018-April-26, 09:21, said:

Our policy is that the forum should not be used to publicize any complaints about specific BBO users, and we will remove any identifying information from the forum. Abuse and cheating issues should be handled privately with our Customer Support people.

When we receive abuse complaints we do not provide details of the rectification we've taken to the complainant, for privacy reasons.

We're sorry that the initial complaint was not handled adequately. As I said, I've escalated it to the appropriate people in management.

#20 User is offline   playplay10 

• Pip

Posted 2018-April-30, 07:18

I am not allowed to send here a screenshot of the abuse which is a pity as it is hard to believe that someone could write what was written. It is,I can assure you all, really horrific as was his final comment when I said I would report him "bye bye smokie".

I am figuring a way to have everyone see it.

"When we receive abuse complaints we do not provide details of the rectification we've taken to the complainant, for privacy reasons".

Sorry , but this is one big cop out. The abuser lost his entitlement of any standing when he wrote what he did.

I believe I am entitled to know what the consequences of his actions are. I wonder if there are any?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users