• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unbalanced diamond

#1 User is offline   Chillwell1 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-April-24, 04:34

Hi everyone!

Me and my partner have just started playing transfers over our opening (5542).
Our opening can be either 11-13 nt, 17-19nt or natural.

Our opening is always unbalanced and at the moment we have the same structure we had before, the 1Nt rebid by opener is somewhat 11-14ish unbalanced.

I have seen some playing the 1nt rebid as clubs or maybe some sort of gazilli.

One sequence i thought about was 1D - 1X; 1 NT = (showing clubs + diamonds). We usually play XYZ after this sequence but i think the 1nt rebid losing its purpose because you can't stop in either 2C or 2D. I don't know actually.

We want some sort of easy and in the same way somewhat advanced structure after our opening.

What's your tips and tricks and what is the easiest way to play?

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-April-24, 11:59

Welcome to the unbalanced world!

I play two different methods will different partners, and the "advanced" one is better, but not easy. Email me if it would be of interest to you - the method is based upon 1 being any 11+ hcp hand, while 1 is max 10 but can be either or both majors (strangely, you do not need to know which.)

A simple method though, is far better than no method. I would recommend you start with all "natural" bidding, but let opener support partner's suit if he has 3 cards only, and treat it like 4. This is usually very effective, as you have practically guaranteed ruffs in your void or singleton suit. An opener rebid of 1NT is natural in the sense that it shows a 3-suited hand with a shortage (singleton or void) in partner's suit. So with a 3-suiter, you either support or bid NT. The only other possible non-jump opener rebids are 2 with 10 cards in the minors, or 2 with 6 diamonds.

This is based upon the definition of 1 as either a 6 card suit, or a hand with a shortage outside diamonds. Incidentally, this definition guarantees that a 1 open has at least 2 cards in each major, unless 6 clubs are shown by a rebid of clubs, which makes it ideal from the transfer walsh point of view. One thing to get used to is that a (comparatively rare) shape of 4135 opens 1 rather than 1, but it works.

#3 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-24, 14:59

Incidentally, playing this "natural" 1NT rebid, opener has simply described his hand, and responder immediately knows there is a fit in any second suit of his. Therefore there is no XYZ, as 2 is to play, 2 is to play, as is 2 other major. I agree with you that you should not lose the minor suits here, because with an unbalanced hand you will usually be playing in a suit.

#4 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-25, 15:10

I think I’ve mentioned this before but:

1nt = strong or just diamonds
... 2M natural weak
... 2D weak
... 2C GF opposite strong hand
1nt-2C-2D = just diamonds; else natural GF

1D-1H-2D = raise of hearts (just diamonds bids 1nt)
1D-1S-2D = red suits min, even 1444 possible
1D-1S-2H = raise of spades

There are various ways to take advantage of the two ways to raise to 2M (good vs bad, 3- vs 4-, etc). You also get 1D-1M-3C as 5/5 intermediate and a bunch of other free bids that can be used as raises.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#5 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-April-27, 01:01

I play what awm suggests, but prefer to bid 1D-1S; 2C with 1-4-4-4 shape. That shape has been quite a hassle for us, and is actually the only reason why we play 1D-2M as Reverse Flannery.

Here's an article describing our methods: http://bridgewinners...lanced-diamond/

Since the article was written, we've changed the following:

1D---
1NT = INV+ relay (usually GF, but can be a balanced invite). Usually no 5+ major.
2C = Natural and non-forcing.
2M = Reverse Flannery.
2NT = 4+ diamond support, about 7-12 hcp. "Mixed or limit raise".
3C = Natural INV.
3D = Preemptive.

#6 User is offline   dokoko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding System Design
    Walking my dogs
    2 player Hanabi

Posted 2018-May-12, 04:39

After 1-1M opener doesn't need a natural 1NT bid.

There is a simple structure using transfers:

1-1M

1 = nat
1NT = 4+
2 = 6+
2 = {over 1} minimum with 5+&3 NF, {over 1} minimum with 5+4 NF
2 over 1 = Reverse
2M = nat, may be 3 cards if spades
2NT = 16/17+ with 6+&3-cd-support
3 = natural, denies 3-cd support

With an intermediate hand, you may show 3-card support after transferring to a minor or repeat your diamonds after showing a black suit and still be able to stop on 2-level frequently.

With a strong hand you may jump on your second turn if shapely, or rebid strongly after your transfer or 1-1;1.

You may instead use a 1NT rebid to show longer , if that's a possibility in your system (it isn't in ours).

---

The 1NT response to 1 suggests length (otherwise raise or bid a major). Opener should not pass with a short major and may rebid a 3-card suit.

#7 User is offline   Chillwell1 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-May-27, 06:33

Thank you all for your responses!
We play like Fromage said, natural, rebidding 1nt with singelton/void in partners suit, raising with 3cards and so on.

What i like to have is some sort of simple gazilli structure over 1D, i dont know if it suits so well playing standard tho.

Anyway, thanks for all the tips and ideas!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users