• You cannot reply to this topic

A TD ruling and appeal decision

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-April-23, 21:30

https://bridgewinner...view/td-ruling/

This happened in recent Turkish Nationals pair event.
It's been long time since I directed any event and my knowledge may as well be outdated.
My personal decision is same with the TD ruling.
What do you guys think?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-23, 23:23

I'm struggling to see any merit in the appeal. Declarer's play looks reasonable given the information presented.

More generally, I tend to give leeway to the side who made a play that was less than optimal but was clearly indicated by MI. Maybe we should all think deeply about every hand, but if we are presented with information that means a play will obviously work, it's common to focus on that line.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2018-April-24, 01:24

View Postsfi, on 2018-April-23, 23:23, said:

I'm struggling to see any merit in the appeal. Declarer's play looks reasonable given the information presented.

More generally, I tend to give leeway to the side who made a play that was less than optimal but was clearly indicated by MI. Maybe we should all think deeply about every hand, but if we are presented with information that means a play will obviously work, it's common to focus on that line.

Actually EW never appealed. The person who wrote this to me had an appeal form and a decision next to his message on messenger of face book, which belongs to another decision. It was my bad to confuse the 2 with each other when i wrote the article, but now corrected it.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-April-24, 08:50

This is why the law about ESEOG action says that the action has to be unrelated to the irregularity. In this case, even if you consider the club finesse to be a dangerous gamble, it was directly related to the MI, so he doesn't lose indemnity.

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-24, 18:46

"Unrelated to the infraction" only applies to "extremely serious errors", not to gambling actions.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-April-25, 04:22

View Postblackshoe, on 2018-April-24, 18:46, said:

"Unrelated to the infraction" only applies to "extremely serious errors", not to gambling actions.

Indeed, and the club hook is certainly not a serious error, let alone "extremely" serious. And arguing that any finesse is a "gambling action" does not wash. TD decision very clear here.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-April-25, 09:24

View PostMrAce, on 2018-April-24, 01:24, said:

Actually EW never appealed.

Since there was no appeal, I've moved the thread to a more appropriate forum.

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2018-April-25, 18:32

View Postbarmar, on 2018-April-25, 09:24, said:

Since there was no appeal, I've moved the thread to a more appropriate forum.

Thanks.

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-26, 12:45

I saw it on bridgewinners and considered it a VERY fast AWM decision if it had been appealed.

Any pair that provides MI, has no CC and produces system notes on a cellphone deserves an icy stare (or a stink eye) from the director but I understand it's much too and sadly common.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users