BBO Discussion Forums: Any reason not to open this hand as 1NT? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any reason not to open this hand as 1NT?

#1 User is offline   bilalz 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-April-23, 14:46

http://tinyurl.com/ybpxukev

(Not sure how to post the hand directly)

It was with a random partner on bbo, so his 2c and subsequent 2nt showed 4 spades and 8 to 9 points. Regardless of the result (3 down) and the fact that with my regular p I play puppet stayman which was no use anyhow, this hand got me thinking if it was the correct choice to open 1nt or 1h. And any advice in general about opening 1M or 1nt is appreciated.

On a sidenote, should I pass the 2nt invite?

#2 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-April-23, 14:58

I would have the same auction you did but the diamonds split 4-4, hearts come home and I make it. :)
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-April-23, 16:14

The simple answer is 'no'. It's just an unlucky board. One spot makes all the difference. If only partner had the J instead of the 10...

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-23, 16:41

After 1 - 1, what would your next bid be?

I open 1NT because I don't know how to answer that question (and accept the invite, easily).

#5 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-23, 18:44

I'd bid the same as you, just unlucky.

ahydra

#6 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-April-23, 21:13

Might as well bid 3H on way to 3N. Not that it helps
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#7 User is offline   bilalz 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-April-24, 01:35

I would bid 3h if I was thinking that 4h would be a better place to play, even with 3 card support from p (AJ10xx should be almost same opposite two or 3 cards), which took me back to my original choice of opening 1nt vs 1h. Has anything changed much till I get the 2nt bid from p, denying 4 hearts? Would you guys prefer 4h with this hand and 3 card support from the partner? If yes, why?

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-24, 07:34

View Postbilalz, on 2018-April-24, 01:35, said:

I would bid 3h if I was thinking that 4h would be a better place to play, even with 3 card support from p (AJ10xx should be almost same opposite two or 3 cards), which took me back to my original choice of opening 1nt vs 1h. Has anything changed much till I get the 2nt bid from p, denying 4 hearts? Would you guys prefer 4h with this hand and 3 card support from the partner? If yes, why?

I would bid 3 (forcing and showing 5) as agreed with my regular partner but with a random bbo partner, as the o/p stated and those outside cards I would not.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-24, 12:23

You have all pros and no cons on the 1NT opening with 5CM (supposing you don’t puppet):
- 3 cards in other M (in case partner transfers and also had 3H)
- 16 (i.e. no 15, no 17, I assume you play 15-17 from your subsequent question)
- a decent H suit (establishable)

I would also have accepted the invite and the 6 first stricks by opps is just unfortunate.

The auction would be tricky after 1H-1S...2C probably, then 2H, 2S I guess (strongish hand). Now partner bids 3D? Oh sure 3NT would have been avoided but diamonds could be breaking (or short hand not on lead). You probably would end up in 4H given the Hx support from partner.

At least your sequence was quicker, and less legible for the opening leader!

#10 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-April-24, 13:33

As long as you're playing strong NTs, there isn't any reason not to open 1 NT.

From the looks of the hand, it appears the opponents probably opened a and ran 6 tricks on you. That happens sometimes because bidding isn't an exact science. It's designed to get you to a "good" spot not necessarily the perfect spot. So there will be times when you get to a "good" spot, but it doesn't work out as here. Then you have to take the long view that most of the time getting to the "good" spot pays off a lot more often than not.

The hand has a 16 count with a 5 card suit. Q doubleton might be a little suspect, but there's no way to know what partner holds. Something like 109xx might be enough to provide a stopper. Unless you know your partner makes very aggressive invitations, bidding on is probably right. If you're playing with a regular partner, you might agree that any bid over 2 NT is forward going so that 3 would show the 5 card suit and allow you play in or NT. But with an unknown/pick up partner, just bid 3 NT.

#11 User is offline   bilalz 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-April-24, 14:44

Thanks all, since I am new to opening nt with 5 card major, I was just unsure if the experts consider AJTxx as something other than NT, and if the 4-3 spade fit is considered bad for nt. Otherwise, from what I know the hand was an NT opener (not too many aces, no empty/vulnerable suit...). Good to know that all was ok.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users