• You cannot reply to this topic

10K Posts

#1 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2018-April-22, 07:39

Good morning.

This is my 10,000th post on the forums. Well, it's actually Phil's 10,000th post - pclayton had around 9,100 some odd posts through 2010 or 2011 before he gave up when he got tired of some of the personalities.

I'm not as active as I used to be here - I spend about 2/3 of my forum time over at Bridgewinners.

This morning, I did the following:

1. Mocked a necro Flannery post that was 15 years old.
2. Nitpicked Mr Ace's squeeze line
3. Analyzed an interesting hand from ahydra.

Time does fly and things change. Here was my intro post in 2004 or 2005:

Ok I'll dive in. Not sure why I've missed it either. My handle on BBO is the original sounding "Pclayton".

I'm Phil Clayton, 41 at this writing. Happily married to a bridge widow named Kim (answers to Kimi if you see her online kibbing me - Kclayton). We have three perfect children named ages 16, 13 and 11. The two oldest occasionally caddy at regionals and worked the Long Beach Nationals last summer. That was cool.

I've played since I was 13 - played in my first duplicate game in Havre, Montana at age 16 with my Mom (miss you) in 1980. Immediately caught the bug. Grade Point Average immediately plunged as high school physics textbook was replaced with old borrowed copies of the Bridge World and George Coffin's "Endplays" (tougher than physics anyway :P) . Spent the remainder of high school and most of college (University of Montana - Missoula) traveling around the great State of Montana playing in sectionals and getting schnockered with people 3x and 4x my age; surreal but fun :D :D .

In 1985, went to the Las Vegas Nationals and went 8-0 the first day of the Non-LM Swiss. Ended up 2nd in the event, and got all the gold points I needed for LM, which I obtained in '86. I think I'm still the youngest LM to come out of Montana.

In 1987, got married and the bridge, uh..stopped. Started career and raising the little ones. Currently, I am a moderately succcessful real estate developer of shopping centers in Newport Beach, CA. Always looking for new projects; if only to support my bridge habit.

Starting playing on-line in 1995 - first Imagination Network (remember that?), then OKB. Online meant I was home physically but not mentally. So, in '99 - gave up OKB for real life. Was one of the first on BBO with Inquiry and 2over1.

Have been pretty serious about the game since then. Have won about 15 regionals (mixed bag - some bracketed KO's (one Bracket I), some pair events).

At Long Beach Nationals, entered the 0-5000 Spingold with my Flight B Grand National team, since the combined MP total for the team was about 3,500, we were seeded #41 out of 41. Ended up 3rd losing to the eventual winners in the semis, but beating the #1 seed along the way. Got to use the screens and be in the same room as Meckwell, Jacobs etc..

I have two regular partnerships in real life. With Rai Osborne we play OC (Orange County / Osborne - Clayton / Obsessive-Compulsive) Precision Club with transfer responses, 10-13 NT, and a lot of gadgets. With Harvey Jaffe, I play 2/1 and 12-14 NT's with Keri responses and a limited 2♣ opener (4-5 losers +/- 19-21 HCP) and 2♦ as the GF opener. In both partnerships I play Overcall Structure, and Obvious Shift. I'm always interested in new ideas in bidding.

I have one unabashed goal in bridge - and that is to win a national open event; pairs or teams, I'm not picky :lol:

1. The kids are all grown up. Our oldest is expecting their first in September and the middle just got engaged. The youngest graduates from her Masters program next month. Kimi is still a bridge widow and just harped on me for being on the computer on a Sunday morning lol.

2. After shopping centers, I transitioned into land development for a few years and had a projects when the music stopped. I would not say it was a riches to rags story, but pretty close. From 2008 to 2012 I got the land use approvals for an automobile race track (look at The Thermal Club) which is up and running.

3. In 2012, I completely pivoted out of real estate and leveraged my PM skills into IT project management and I am now the program management office lead for Toyota. While I do not rate to have huge payday, we are doing just fine.

4. We moved to Dallas last year when Toyota moved. So far we like it. I have some new bridge partners here who you probably have heard of - not sure why they like to play with me :)

5. I think my regional count is around 70 and I got my Diamond LM earlier this year when I had a great tourney in Houston with Mr. Ace.

6. Still chasing that national. Best so far is a 5th and a 7th - both in the NAP's. I led the NAPs in Kansas City going into the final session but we could not close the deal. Also made R32 in Kansas City Vanderbilt. One bad quarter kept us from beating Berg. Work still gets in the way of going to too many nationals, but I am looking forward to a full schedule in Atlanta.

7. My main partnership is with Agumperz. Our system basically looks like what would happen if Welland/Auken had a love child with Fantunes. We call it Martian Standard. No, you cannot have the notes :P
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-22, 08:13

We all love you bro! Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-April-22, 09:25

Thanks much for the post.

I will probably not catch up with you in masterpoints. On the other hand, Becky and I have five kids between us and this has come to 11 grandchildren with another expected in September. Catch that if you can!

It sounds as if you, and your family, are enjoying life. As are we. I am always glad to hear such things.

Best wishes,
Ken

Oh yeah. Don't forget to count trump. It will help with getting the national title. Good luck.
Ken

#4 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-22, 13:48

This was a nice update to read from a forum regular. I always enjoy your contributions Phil.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#5 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2018-April-22, 14:12

View PostMrAce, on 2018-April-22, 08:13, said:

We all love you bro! Posted Image

Speak for yourself bro!!

:lol:

Spoiler

... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#6 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2018-April-22, 14:32

always enjoyed your posts dude, here's to the next ten thousand!
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2018-April-22, 15:29

View Posteagles123, on 2018-April-22, 14:32, said:

always enjoyed your posts dude, here's to the next ten thousand!

Haha maybe pclayton can get another 900 lolz
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-22, 17:10

Congrats on the 10k Phil. I always like to read your input on these forums and BW.

ahydra

#9 User is offline   jmc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-April-23, 01:36

I'v e always enjoyed your posts Phil. Thanks for all you do here and at bridgewinners.

#10 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-April-23, 10:11

View Postjmc, on 2018-April-23, 01:36, said:

I'v e always enjoyed your posts Phil. Thanks for all you do here and at bridgewinners.

Welcome to the 10K club!
Alderaan delenda est

#11 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-April-30, 16:29

The best Water Cooler thread I've seen in a long time :D
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#12 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-30, 17:02

View Posty66, on 2018-April-30, 16:02, said:

Is it after 10,000 posts or 10,000 hours that we become experts? I think it must be hours.

Also, I am afraid to say, Donald Trump also got 10,000 posts now.
http://www.bridgebas...post__p__950158
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users