Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3m in response to the Multi

#1 User is offline   DozyDom 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-April-21, 10:10

Playing a weak-only Multi 2D with one of my partners next weak & I can't seem to find a great source on what 3m should mean in response. Playing it as natural and a signoff as Bridgebum suggests seems a waste of a bid - there's no guarantee that will play any better than partner's major. Meanwhile, the last thread on multi responses that I can find ended with a post saying that playing them as natural and forcing - which I think is pretty standard never came up and they should be incorporated into some sort of raise structure, but offering no further detail.

Any thoughts on what is the best way of playing them?

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-April-22, 17:28

I think natural an forcing is ok. Opener then transfers to his suit and you can still stop in 3M if opener is minimum (accepting the transfer would be invitational).

You could also play 3 as the constructive raise instead of 2NT. Opener transfers to his suit except with certain maximum hands (a maximum could also start with the transfer and then bid on). If you do this, 2NT could be used as something else, maybe as a transfer to clubs.

3 as a sign off would have to mean "sign off opposite (say) hearts but invite opposite (say) spades". It is too rare that you have a sign off regardless of which suit opener holds. And if you do have 1-1 in the majors and a weak hand, sure opps will bid the major which opener doesn't have.

You could play 3 as a sign off opposite hearts: with a sign off (in 3) opposite spades, you can bid 2 and then correct 2 to 3. Of course, this doesn't allow you to invite opposite hearts at the same time.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-23, 10:54

One fairly common hand type is a strong hand with a major of my own. It's useful to be able to offer choice of games and/or look for slam in such situations, and this might be a good use for one or both 3m bids.

I've seen people try the tactic of bidding their own major at the two-level expecting a correction (and then bid on) but this is somewhat risky (what if partner has the same major and passes you out? this is okay when you're pretty minimum since opponents have a contract in the other major, but not so okay when responder is very strong). It's also nice to have sequences like 2-2-2-3 available as natural non-forcing (say you have a 0247 hand for example) and the "bid your own major" method would have this as a strong hand with the rounded suits.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#4 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-23, 15:42

I quite using the responses described in the Wilkosz 2D convention (weak two-suiter with one or both majors):

2H/2S = pass or correct
2NT = forcing enquiry
3D = invitational with both majors
3H/3S = pass or correct
4C = asks for transfer to partner's major
4D = asks partner to bid the major
4H/S = to play (responder's suit)

This leaves 3C free, which is undefined in the published notes. It seems sensible to use this as "forcing with my own suit". Partner can then bid 3D to ask and you get to show it below game.

#5 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-24, 09:10

Those still playing Multi in Italy usually play 3m as natural and game forcing with replies:
3 = strong with
3 = , min no fit
3 = , min no fit
3NT = or , AKQxxxx
4 = , max with fit
4 = , max with fit
4 = , min with fit
4 = , min with fit

As you are playing without a strong variant in the Multi then you could use 3/3 as transfers like Helene suggests and 3/3NT to show solid major without/with fit.

#6 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2018-April-24, 09:26

View PostDozyDom, on 2018-April-21, 10:10, said:

Playing a weak-only Multi 2D with one of my partners next weak

Are you sure that a weak-only version is allowed?
It would not be here in Italy.
The (old) discussion below suggests that in EBU it would be allowed only at Level 4, whatever that means.

Relevant discussion

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-25, 15:58

View Postpescetom, on 2018-April-24, 09:26, said:

Are you sure that a weak-only version is allowed?
It would not be here in Italy.
The (old) discussion below suggests that in EBU it would be allowed only at Level 4, whatever that means.

Relevant discussion

OP says UK. Weak-only multi is ok in most events.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2018-April-26, 14:58

View Posthelene_t, on 2018-April-25, 15:58, said:

OP says UK. Weak-only multi is ok in most events.

The discussion I linked suggests that in UK it is not ok in most events, but is old - hence my enquiry.

#9 User is offline   DozyDom 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-April-26, 15:23

View Postpescetom, on 2018-April-26, 14:58, said:

The discussion I linked suggests that in UK it is not ok in most events, but is old - hence my enquiry.

Weak only multi is indeed legal only at level 4 and above, so you're correct that it's restricted, but the vast majority of events satisfy that; level 3 would disallow that, but these days that doesn't really exist as only a few clubs class events as such; it would most definitely be impermissible at level 2, but I don't intend to be playing in one of those events any time soon.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users