BBO Discussion Forums: Indications for already played weekly free? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Indications for already played weekly free?

#1 User is offline   cbergek 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-April-21, 06:41

I often forget when I last played the weekly free tournament (WFT). Therefore I sometimes elect to start it, but realizing quite soon that I've already played it. Perhaps it's not a big deal but thinking about the Tournament Completion Rate (TCR) I use to play it through anyhow. (Perhaps these tournaments don't count in that TCR statistic, but how do I know that??)

It would be much easier if there were some kind of indication on the WFT button as to whether I've played it already. The WFT button could be red, or grey, indicating that you've already played it, and then resetting it to the usual colour when a new WTF is started on Fridays.
(As a comparison: the Vugraph button changes colour whenever there is actually play going on.)

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-April-21, 07:37

cbergek, on 2018-April-21, 06:41, said:

I often forget when I last played the weekly free tournament (WFT). Therefore I sometimes elect to start it, but realizing quite soon that I've already played it. Perhaps it's not a big deal but thinking about the Tournament Completion Rate (TCR) I use to play it through anyhow. (Perhaps these tournaments don't count in that TCR statistic, but how do I know that??)

It would be much easier if there were some kind of indication on the WFT button as to whether I've played it already. The WFT button could be red, or grey, indicating that you've already played it, and then resetting it to the usual colour when a new WTF is started on Fridays.
(As a comparison: the Vugraph button changes colour whenever there is actually play going on.)

Instant tournaments don't count towards your completion rate. Also the idea of the weekly free IT was, originally, to play it and replay it as many times as you wish, to try and do better. Of course each player uses the tourney as they wish, but we thought people might like a chance to replay their game and see how high they can score.

#3 User is offline   cbergek 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-April-21, 10:27

Well, I can't understand the value in playing it again, since you already know where the cards are. It's not like those teaching deals where if you have a two-way-finesse for a queen in a sidesuit the queen moves from east to west so that you always loose the finesse, because the whole idea is that you should endplay the opponents to find the queen for you. Then it'd be great to get to try again.
But good to know that these tournaments don't count towards my TCR. Thanks!

diana_eva, on 2018-April-21, 07:37, said:

Instant tournaments don't count towards your completion rate. Also the idea of the weekly free IT was, originally, to play it and replay it as many times as you wish, to try and do better. Of course each player uses the tourney as they wish, but we thought people might like a chance to replay their game and see how high they can score.

#4 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-April-21, 15:43

diana_eva, on 2018-April-21, 07:37, said:

Also the idea of the weekly free IT was, originally, to play it and replay it as many times as you wish, to try and do better. Of course each player uses the tourney as they wish, but we thought people might like a chance to replay their game and see how high they can score.

I'm happy with that, but I can't understand why people who replay the game should "beat" me when I play the game for the first (and only) time. It's not a fair or meaningful competition, they know the cards! This way I have no real idea of how well I played compared to others playing for the first time. Repeat players should be out of the classification for first time players, or at very least be clearly identifiable as repeat players.

#5 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-21, 18:22

pescetom, on 2018-April-21, 15:43, said:

I'm happy with that, but I can't understand why people who replay the game should "beat" me when I play the game for the first (and only) time. It's not a fair or meaningful competition, they know the cards! This way I have no real idea of how well I played compared to others playing for the first time. Repeat players should be out of the classification for first time players, or at very least be clearly identifiable as repeat players.

They don't beat you. You're compared against a selection of players who played the original tournament - not against others playing the instant tournament.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-21, 18:55

So going back to the original suggestion -- for players who don't like to replay it, it would be helpful for them to know whether they already played.

#7 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2018-April-22, 15:32

smerriman, on 2018-April-21, 18:22, said:

They don't beat you. You're compared against a selection of players who played the original tournament - not against others playing the instant tournament.

Thanks, I didn't realise that. Maybe it could be made more clear.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-April-23, 08:37

pescetom, on 2018-April-22, 15:32, said:

Thanks, I didn't realise that. Maybe it could be made more clear.

It's in the help fileabout instant tourneys.

you will be dealt deals from a past tournament you have not played before, and have your scores compared against 14 players in those tourneys.

The weekly free tourney has one little wrinkle. Since it's the same past tourney for everyone, it could even be a tourney you played in.

#9 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2018-April-23, 14:23

barmar, on 2018-April-23, 08:37, said:

It's in the help fileabout instant tourneys.

It would be nice if it was evident without having to read the help file.
Nor do I see it in the help file, come to that.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-April-24, 08:29

pescetom, on 2018-April-23, 14:23, said:

It would be nice if it was evident without having to read the help file.

Where should this be evident? Should it say it on every leaderboard for instant tourneys?

Nor do I see it in the help file, come to that.

I copy-pasted directly from the help file. I'm not sure why you don't see it.

#11 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2018-April-24, 12:40

barmar, on 2018-April-24, 08:29, said:

I copy-pasted directly from the help file. I'm not sure why you don't see it.

I see it now, sorry. It's in the introduction, not in the section about the Weekly Free where I was looking.

#12 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-April-25, 09:08

pescetom, on 2018-April-24, 12:40, said:

I see it now, sorry. It's in the introduction, not in the section about the Weekly Free where I was looking.

Yeah, there's nothing special about the weekly free IT in this regard, so it doesn't seem necessary to repeat it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users