BBO Discussion Forums: What do you bid if anything (Part 2) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you bid if anything (Part 2)

#1 User is offline   sirjimmy 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-April-20, 04:56

Mps Nil all

P 1♦ 4♠ ??

♠-
♥ATxxx
♦x
♣QT97xxx

What do you bid ?

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-April-20, 05:19

System matters here, what NT are you playing, how many diamonds has partner shown ?

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-April-20, 05:45

Same as last time - Pass. Yes, it's all distributional, and distribution counts not just high card points, but to bid here you should have some tolerance of partner's suit and a lot more than one quick trick. If the opponents had overcalled just 1, there's a double there, but pushing partner to the five level with this hand is dizzy, even at MPs.

#4 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-20, 05:47

This is fundamentally different to your initial question:
(1) In the original version partner's 3 is weak and distributional. Now the 1 opening will not be weak and is limited only by the failure to open 2.
(2) In the original version, the opponent's 4 was likely to be strong (you don't pre-empt over a pre-empt). Now, the opposing 4 is quite possibly very weak and distributional (depending on the company that you keep).

In the first version there was no realistic possibility of making anything. Now there is a real risk in passing and missing game or even slam.

It isn't easy - that is why they pre-empt. As Cyberyeti says, it matters what your system is and what your agreements are. Assuming that a double will be takeout / values, I will probably risk a double - but I am not giving many defensive tricks if partner passes and I am not giving a helpful dummy if partner repeats her diamonds.

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-20, 05:56

hmmm lho passed hand and rho has made a preemptive bid AND I have very few HCP (though lots of offensive potential). Partner rates to be strong and the 4s bid can make their life quite difficult. Unlike the scenario where partner opened 3d, where any action we took was expected to go down a lot, this situation if far less fraught with peril. I have no problems with bidding

5c

now and if p corrects to 5d I will chime in further with 5h. The doubling may start now but there is just too much offensive fire power here to not give our side the best chance at not only strain but slam.

#6 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2018-April-21, 08:22

View Postsirjimmy, on 2018-April-20, 04:56, said:

Mps Nil all

P 1♦ 4♠ ??

♠-
♥ATxxx
♦x
♣QT97xxx

What do you bid ?

I give the same answer as I did in Part One for the same reasons given. Anyone who takes action on the above hand
after the auction given and is then severely punished deserves all that's coming to themPosted Image
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#7 User is offline   Defcon0 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-April-21, 09:05

I think we all know anything can be right. I wouldn't assume the 4s call is premptive though. Opposite a passed hand partner a 4s bid could be on anything.

Still, pard could have the big hand and if we make a call on these cards the next a stop could be something at the 6 level.

My own methods in thus situation are:

Pass - nothing to say
Dbl - general values (nottake out per se) without promising a spade stack
4nt - 2 suited take out (I give up on blackwood) usually having values
5c, 5h - my suit + values
5d - support with values
5nt - GSF in diamonds
5s - looking for a grand, likely in diamonds
6c, 6d, 6h, 6n, 7c, 7d, 7h, 7n to play

On this hand, it's a choice between 4n and pass. Laws in both calls but I don't want to sound like I have HCP values.

I pass smoothly to not compromise partner's next call. Btw, do you play mandatory reopening dbls here? I do not, but many do.

Another question is what do you bid if anything after

P 1d 4s p
P dbl p ?

I still play 4n = 2 suited take out and would do that

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-21, 09:29

View PostDefcon0, on 2018-April-21, 09:05, said:

I think we all know anything can be right. I wouldn't assume the 4s call is premptive though. Opposite a passed hand partner a 4s bid could be on anything.

Still, pard could have the big hand and if we make a call on these cards the next a stop could be something at the 6 level.

My own methods in thus situation are:

Pass - nothing to say
Dbl - general values (nottake out per se) without promising a spade stack
4nt - 2 suited take out (I give up on blackwood) usually having values
5c, 5h - my suit + values
5d - support with values
5nt - GSF in diamonds
5s - looking for a grand, likely in diamonds
6c, 6d, 6h, 6n, 7c, 7d, 7h, 7n to play

On this hand, it's a choice between 4n and pass. Laws in both calls but I don't want to sound like I have HCP values.

I pass smoothly to not compromise partner's next call. Btw, do you play mandatory reopening dbls here? I do not, but many do.

Another question is what do you bid if anything after

P 1d 4s p
P dbl p ?

I still play 4n = 2 suited take out and would do that

My problem with your approach is what do you want partner to do if you pass (probably on something less extreme than this) with:

KJxx, Qxx, AQJx, xx and xxx, Kx, Axxx, AKxx ?

I would like to have X as takeout so partner knows to pass with the first hand and bid with the second.

#9 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-21, 19:49

This is a very different hand than the first one (which was an easy pass). Whatever you do here is apt to be wrong:

1. Pass. This risks finding partner with something like:

xxx KQx Jxxx AKx

It's not like that's some sort of great opener; it's a nondescript minimum. But you ought to make 6 clubs. The opponents can probably make 5 spades. You really want to let them play 4 spades?

2. Double. This is card-showing, and you don't have cards. Partner will pass with the hand in 1, and now 4SX comes rolling home, maybe with an overtrick.

3. 5C. This risks finding partner with four hearts to the KQ and a stiff or void club. Maybe LHO will be nice enough to make a very loud X if you've picked the wrong place.

4. 4NT - This is OK if it shows the two unbids, but I don't think that would be the popular expert treatment. I think this bid ought to be natural with a diamond fit and something like Kx or Qxx in spades.

I would bid 5C, because I think the chances of landing on your feet are best with that bid. But I'm sure whatever I do would be wrong :)

Cheers,
Mike

#10 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-22, 18:16

View Postsirjimmy, on 2018-April-20, 04:56, said:

Mps Nil all

P 1♦ 4♠ ??

♠-
♥ATxxx
♦x
♣QT97xxx

What do you bid ?

I consider this quite different than the previous question that was raised. In this case, your partner is unlimited, and the 4 bidder is limited. I would expect an 8 card spade suit, and less than opening points, otherwise he would make a take out double or other bid (Though I have been known to make bids like that with a surprisingly strong hand).
I would bid 5 with this hand-but not liking it. Pre-empts work, that is why I do them.

#11 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Physics<br>Play pool<br><br>Studying Precision System

Posted 2018-May-05, 19:16

Pass

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users