Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Freak hands

#1 User is offline   delmo 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-April-19, 20:33

North’s opening lead was the A of Clubs. He then shifted to the 9 of Hearts, probably asking for a shift to a higher suit? I, as South, took with the A, then shift to a Diamond, which North ruffed for a result of 11 IMPs for our side.
Note that EW could make 5D, but not 5S, while NS’ 5H was cold.

#2 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-April-20, 02:52

A couple of comments on the bidding:
- With seven hearts and five clubs, I would not be treating North's hand as Michaels - for me this shows two suits of equal length of longer clubs. I would have over-called in hearts.
- I am not sure why south is doing so much bidding? Surely you fully described your hand when you bid 4? After that, I think that you should pass and allow North to compete further (he will with so much playing strength).

#3 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-April-23, 09:32

View PostTramticket, on 2018-April-20, 02:52, said:

- With seven hearts and five clubs, I would not be treating North's hand as Michaels - for me this shows two suits of equal length of longer clubs. I would have over-called in hearts.

Curiously, I had exactly this shape yesterday after an opposing 1 opening bid, albeit a rather stronger hand! A AKQJ1086 - Q8765. Game all, imps. Would you also overcall in hearts here rather than treating the hand as two-suited? FWIW, I agree the hand is basically single-suited, but I couldn't think of an appropriate number of hearts to bid..... (I was also reminded of another recent thread entitled something like "they stole my 2C opening".)

#4 User is offline   Dinarius 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-April-23, 10:40

I agree on the bidding comments. I prefer 2❤️ (stronger than 3❤️, as I usually play) overcall.

W N E S
1♠️ 2❤️ 4♠️ P
P 5♣️ 5♠️

...seems reasonable. South never has a bid, in my view. Can North bid 5♣️? On the one hand, he has no defence to 4♠️ and maybe should bid it. On the other hand, with 2/2 in ❤️/♣️ in the S hand, N might be massacred at this vulnerability if playing in ♣️.

The pass of 5♠️ is a textbook example of the Bols tip that, “The five level belongs to the opponents.”

At MPs I double, because you have to protect against being denied 4/5❤️ (though in mixed room, I suspect that many will be allowed to play in 4/5❤️, so your +100 for a good pass and excellent defence will score average minus at best. Perfect Par Bridge frequently goes unrewarded at Pairs.)

But, is it a good double at IMPs? Not sure.

D.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users