Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is your approach

#1 User is offline   JanisW 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-April-17, 12:03

After 2 by opener we're eagerly interested in bidding to the 6 level.
In I was afraid of a possible second round -ruff or a late round -Looser (sth like J108x with East)
would be wrongsided if N had AQ
For 6NT we might lack some power, though any possibly needed -finesse presumably works. Plan: 3-4; 5;2-3 0-1

But how do we even get there?
N will probably pass 3NT as I have not shown anything of my substantial extras (maybe 3 was wrong?)
If I cue-bid my K of N might use Blackwood and 6NT would be wrongsided, too.
If I used Blackwood and 2 Aces were missing (however unlikely) we might not have 5-level-safety (A,A,ruff; East: Qxx,KJxx,AQJx,KQx though this barely qualifies as a 2 bid)

what is your opinion? Am I too pessimistic? was 3 wrong?

Regards
JW

#2 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-April-17, 12:25

After 2 I like 2nt. Opener has promised hearts and (at least in my partnership) this is forcing. In fact 2 is a game force for us.

Unlike many we don't cue 1st OR 2nd round controls, just 1st round first so over whatever opener does next I can cue whatever is convenient and if partner got the memo we can cue or kc from there depending on developments. The 5-level should be safe if it comes to that.

I guess 3 over 3 might work too but feels a little more awkward to me.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#3 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-17, 12:56

You have to imagine (or tell us!) what partner’s bidding means. Some kind of 18-19 with 4 hearts? Balanced? Unbalanced?

RHO seems broke so you have to allocate all remaining honors including a sizeable part of S honors to LHO.

Your efforts of right siding are therefore necessary.

I fear a balanced 18-19 will be hard for slam unless partner has a hand 2443 where you can discard a spade on the 5th D and trumps are not 41, or if partner has SQ and no wasted C honors. So not too unlikely. Unbalanced hand will probably be better although it is hard to imagine partner with a singleton S or C.

You have to continue the bidding and 3D was probably a good start. If H are formally agreed, 3S is right. Although we can’t be sure to learn all we need, but if after 3S it goes 4C, 4D, 4H, we probably will have run out of steam...

#4 User is offline   JanisW 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-17, 13:30

View Postapollo1201, on 2018-April-17, 12:56, said:

You have to imagine (or tell us!) what partner’s bidding means. Some kind of 18-19 with 4 hearts? Balanced? Unbalanced?

Partners bidding so far is gf and is comparable in strength with a 4-bid in a 1-1-4 context, without interference.
He cannot have 5 since he opened 1 and there have to be some / somewhere...
Therefore he almost certainly has 18/19+ HCP, 4 and is at least semi-balanced.
His Maximum would be a 2452 21 count which he did not open 2NT, though he can hardly have it, with N bidding 1SP

#5 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-17, 16:49

Opener has promised hearts

Has he? Can he not have 18-19 BAL with no stop, or a GOSH with diamonds, or a strong minor two-suiter, or ...? OK, some of those would X depending on agreements, but normally if he has hearts, he'd bid hearts (or make a splinter). I feel that 2S followed by 3H implies 3-card support only.

Anyway, after 2S you want to go to slam, yes - either in diamonds or NT from your side. Forseeing this you might start with 2NT to ensure NT gets right-sided (which also has the benefit of implying that it is very likely you have only four hearts), then support diamonds next. And don't worry about finding partner with the exact worst hand possible and going down in 5 if two aces are out - with such a huge fit and strength, that's much less likely than missing the slam if you bid too cautiously.

ahydra

#6 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-April-18, 00:17

If as the poster says that 2S promises good heart fit and is prepared to play in 4H opposite a bare 6/7 and four small cards in hearts ,then not only have I 12HCP with a suit as good as AQxx, but also a singleton in clubs.I am an aggressive bidder and with this hand would have bid a splinter 4C and not 3D which I feel .of course personally,is a timid bid.Further bidding may then proceed as per your partnership methods.I have a loser count of 6 only which Is much less than the 1H bid which is made even with 9 or rarely 10 losers also..

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-18, 03:26

View PostJanisW, on 2018-April-17, 12:03, said:

After 2 by opener we're eagerly interested in bidding to the 6 level.
In I was afraid of a possible second round -ruff or a late round -Looser (sth like J108x with East)
would be wrongsided if N had AQ
For 6NT we might lack some power, though any possibly needed -finesse presumably works. Plan: 3-4; 5;2-3 0-1

But how do we even get there?
N will probably pass 3NT as I have not shown anything of my substantial extras (maybe 3 was wrong?)
If I cue-bid my K of N might use Blackwood and 6NT would be wrongsided, too.
If I used Blackwood and 2 Aces were missing (however unlikely) we might not have 5-level-safety (A,A,ruff; East: Qxx,KJxx,AQJx,KQx though this barely qualifies as a 2 bid)

what is your opinion? Am I too pessimistic? was 3 wrong?

Regards
JW

You are looking at the solution in the wrong hand (West)
This is a partnership game opener should be aware of your problems when evaluating your hand.
I think both 3 and 4 would show 4 card fit but different type of strong hands. Especially if you are playing support X, once pd cues he has either 2 or 4 card .

For example

xx
KJxx
AQJx
AKxx

should bid 4 and not 3 (kinda picture bid)

And another hand which looks like

Ax
Kxxx
AJxxx
AK

should bid 3. (or vice versa, each action should give more clear info about the opener's hand)

We know pd can't have spade shortness + fit, because if he did, he would splinter previous round bu bidding 3. Pd knows most of the time we will be curious about his spade holding once he decided to show us fit and big hand.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   Defcon0 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-April-18, 08:21

Lots of potential on these cards, but lots if danger. I am assuming pard has a good hand with 4 hearts and not some long diamond suit looking for a spade guard.

As good as this hand could be I am not willing to push to the 5 level on my own. I'd much prefer to have the 5th heart and a doubleton spade allowing for a pitch on pard's hoped for AK clubs.

In fact, if pard's looking at a 2-4-4-3 or 2-4-5-2 with baby spades, slam will need perfect cards

To me, time to tell pard I have slam interest but am limited.

4c splinter captures the flavour of the hand in my view. Slam interest but with limited values - unless I bid again over 4h. Not perfect but the best description I'm comfortable with.

4c and leave the rest up to pard.

John

#9 User is offline   IGoHomeNow 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-April-19, 07:07

To solve this, we first need to know why partner did not simply bid 4H over the 1S call. Nor did he splinter in spades.

He is either too strong for 4H or still seeking strain. I suspect he is something like 2344 or 2353 18-19 count. Would he make a support double with that? He might not since it will be difficult to convey this strength if opponents bid spades at a high level.

Anyhow... Either way, partner will clarify if I bid 3NT.
Its pretty clear I only have one spade stop since I bid did not bid NT right away. If partner passes, he has the 18-19 hand with 3 hearts. If he pulls to 4H, he has some kind of hand that seemed too good for a direct 4H. I don't quite know what that hand is, but I will just bid 4NT RKC and go from there.

#10 User is offline   cleveritis 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-April-19, 15:57

4c (then after 4D from partner), 4H only..if he bids 5H (asking spade control, I bid slam... if partner 2452.. ooops..

#11 User is offline   JanisW 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-20, 05:44

Thank you for your insights.

I finally settled on 3. 3NT from P was a great call telling me not to worry about wrongsiding anything. 5NT pick a slam and P "guessed" 6d

I disagree with 3NT, because I would also bid 3NT if the A were the 2.
I agree that 3 was not a great call. It probably should've gone 2NT (to rightside NT) - 3 - 6 (Kind of pick a slam and showing Di-Fit now, P should run to 6NT without Q and therefore either the J or AKJ)

regards
JW

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users