Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is suggested? A BIT pessimistic

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-April-11, 08:13

Matchpoints. Lead 3 Table Result 4-1 (average).

This was the last-round of the Easter Congress and NS called the TD when dummy appeared. The TD asked for play to be completed, and at the end of play, as there was a lot of clearing up to do, it was agreed to give a ruling the next day.

The TD polled a number of people with the West hand, and all passed 3NT when given the hand without UI. However, the TD, consulting with others, decided that a slow 3NT did not demonstrably suggest that West pulled to 4D and he left the score unchanged. North was playing in a sponsored team the next day so was disinclined to get distracted with an appeal, but I am interested in your opinions on the TD decision.

If 3NT was passed, North stated he would probably have doubled.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-April-11, 08:34

Did we poll to find out what West would do if 3NT doubled comes around to them? Or maybe that's not relevant, since I'll bet East would pull it himself.

From West's perspective, East's hesitation is probably based on worry about clubs, and he has those stopped, so the hesitation doesn't suggest pulling.

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-April-11, 08:39

View Postbarmar, on 2018-April-11, 08:34, said:

Did we poll to find out what West would do if 3NT doubled comes around to them?

I don't think the TD did, nor would I expect him to do so.

#4 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-11, 09:00

View Postlamford, on 2018-April-11, 08:13, said:

I am not sure how much value to put on this assertion. Would a double be lead-directing for this partnership and if so, what lead would it suggest? A double would certainly enable west to escape to 4 without relying in unauthorised information (unless East makes another slow pass! or more likely pulls the double himself).

It is Authorised Information to West that East bid 3 before bidding 3NT and this sequence (rather than bidding 3NT without mentioning the diamonds) would envisage that East could correct to a diamond contract. For me the slow 3NT demonstrably suggests "doubt" about 3NT. Even if the likely doubt over bidding 3NT is because East was considering passing, I think that this could be sufficient to suggest bidding 4.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-11, 09:02

Also what was the agreement on the X of 2, without alert doesn't it show hearts, so shouldn't W bid 4 if he's pulling ? Doesn't the slowness suggest 4 over 4 as partner may be in doubt about what X meant ?

#6 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-11, 09:27

View PostTramticket, on 2018-April-11, 09:00, said:

For me the slow 3NT demonstrably suggests "doubt" about 3NT.

I agree. But any player who bids a non-forcing 3 before then bidding 3NT without hearing anything useful from partner has also suggested doubt about 3NT via his sequence of bids. So I don't think any particular choice of bids is suggested by the UI.

#7 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-April-11, 10:03

View PostWellSpyder, on 2018-April-11, 09:27, said:

I agree. But any player who bids a non-forcing 3 before then bidding 3NT without hearing anything useful from partner has also suggested doubt about 3NT via his sequence of bids. So I don't think any particular choice of bids is suggested by the UI.

Yes I think he has fully described their hand with their bidding. Hesitation shows the same.

The opponents look to be playing weak 1N. It is more normal for double to show mealy a good hand than for lead. But this wasn't stated.

I don't see anybody sitting for 3NX.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#8 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-April-11, 11:24

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-April-11, 09:02, said:

Also what was the agreement on the X of 2, without alert doesn't it show hearts, so shouldn't W bid 4 if he's pulling ? Doesn't the slowness suggest 4 over 4 as partner may be in doubt about what X meant ?

I imagine looking at East's hand that double was either hearts or a hand that would double a weak NT. This is quite a common treatment in England but it was not alerted.

#9 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-April-11, 11:30

That was the argument put forward by the TDs. That the authorised auction suggested doubt about 3NT. If that is the case, my response would be "Why then did ALL those polled pass 3NT without the UI, but this particular West pulled it with the UI?"

I can quite accept that North would pass out 3NT rather than give the opponents a second bite at the cherry, but there was a big difference between +50 and +100.

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-April-11, 11:52

View Postlamford, on 2018-April-11, 11:24, said:

I imagine looking at East's hand that double was either hearts or a hand that would double a weak NT. This is quite a common treatment in England but it was not alerted.

I didn't ask what it was, I asked what their agreement was :)

E may have UI that his partner hasn't alerted his X so may have chosen 3 rather than NTs to emphasize that he doesn't in fact hold hearts.

#11 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-April-11, 15:40

The TD polled a number of people with the West hand, and all passed 3NT when given the hand without UI. However, the TD, consulting with others, decided that a slow 3NT did not demonstrably suggest that West pulled to 4D and he left the score unchanged.

The poll shows that pass is an LA for West. East's hesitation implies doubt and suggests pulling. Hence, IMO NS were damaged by West's putative use of UI and the director should adjust to 3N-3 or more. 3NX is an unlikely contract because East or West would probably run,

#12 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2018-April-12, 01:55

View PostTramticket, on 2018-April-11, 09:00, said:

For me the slow 3NT demonstrably suggests "doubt" about 3NT.

Double, then 3 followed by a fast 3NT shows a little bit of doubt - probably an unguarded suit with running diamonds
Double, then 3 followed by a 3NT in tempo shows doubt - probably an unguarded suit with strong, but not running, diamonds
Double, then 3 followed by a very slow 3NT shows a lot of doubt - hoping to make it on a spade lead but uncertain

West's peers are not bidding so it is reasonable to assume that only the UI has suggested bidding. I think the directors were wrong.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#13 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-April-12, 02:21

The TD polled a number of people with the West hand, and all passed 3NT when given the hand without UI. However, the TD, consulting with others, decided that a slow 3NT did not demonstrably suggest that West pulled to 4D and he left the score unchanged. North was playing in a sponsored team the next day so was disinclined to get distracted with an appeal, but I am interested in your opinions on the TD decision.

Why have a poll and decide against the outcome?? I really don't understand this. Gave the TD a reason for it?
The real problem for me is North's claim that he probably would have doubled, in which case I would allow the 4 by W. My decision would be a splitscore, 3NT-3 for EW, 4-1 for NS.
Joost

#14 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-April-12, 07:23

View Postsanst, on 2018-April-12, 02:21, said:

Why have a poll and decide against the outcome?? I really don't understand this. Gave the TD a reason for it?
The real problem for me is North's claim that he probably would have doubled, in which case I would allow the 4 by W. My decision would be a splitscore, 3NT-3 for EW, 4-1 for NS.

That is illegal and would only be allowed if West passed, North actually doubled and it was deemed ESEWoG. North can pass out 3NT and get the same 150 as EW! The TD stated that he did not think there was a significant difference between an in-tempo 3NT and a slow 3NT. I also thought this was bizarre, given that none of those polled bid over 3NT, and would have appealed if I had not been playing by now in another event. Perhaps a member of the TD team at the event can explain their reasons more fully.

#15 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-April-12, 07:45

View Postsanst, on 2018-April-12, 02:21, said:

You don't double 3N in these circumstances (unless you're barefaced bluffing) if you're not also doubling 4

#16 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2018-April-15, 00:54

View Postlamford, on 2018-April-11, 11:30, said:

That was the argument put forward by the TDs. That the authorised auction suggested doubt about 3NT. If that is the case, my response would be "Why then did ALL those polled pass 3NT without the UI, but this particular West pulled it with the UI?"

I can quite accept that North would pass out 3NT rather than give the opponents a second bite at the cherry, but there was a big difference between +50 and +100.

Maybe this West would have pulled it without the UI.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#17 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-April-15, 04:09

View PostCascade, on 2018-April-15, 00:54, said:

Even if he would have done, he is now obliged to carefully avoid taking any advantage of the UI.

#18 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-April-15, 10:29

View PostCascade, on 2018-April-15, 00:54, said:

The important thing to remember about UI laws is that they're not really based on what the player in question thinks or would have done, they're based on a hypothetical set of "players of the same class, playing the same methods". This is why explanations like "I was always going to do X" do not protect the player, and why we can use polls to determine LAs and what is suggested.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users