• You cannot reply to this topic

Play problem Decisions, decisions

#1 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-April-02, 14:03

KJ75

Imps. All vul. Opening lead club 3. What is the safest line?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-April-02, 15:21

May I ask does the J get covered by the Q or not?

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-April-02, 16:00

View PostFelicityR, on 2018-April-02, 15:21, said:

May I ask does the J get covered by the Q or not?

If you choose to play the J, it wins.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-02, 18:40

trick 1 win the club in dummy and play dia AK and ruff a dia with ace pitch last dia on heart ace club to hand laying down spade Q hoping to pull trumps w/o an uppercut ruining my day.

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-April-02, 19:27

View Postgszes, on 2018-April-02, 18:40, said:

trick 1 win the club in dummy and play dia AK and ruff a dia with ace pitch last dia on heart ace club to hand laying down spade Q hoping to pull trumps w/o an uppercut ruining my day.

That was almost my line but I chose to ruff a heart back to hand. I'm curious, though, what is best.

#6 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-02, 20:45

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-April-02, 19:27, said:

That was almost my line but I chose to ruff a heart back to hand. I'm curious, though, what is best.

IMO, ruff to hand is superior to ruff because:

1) LHO might have led from Q...5th or even Q...6th of . In the latter case, the ruff is imminent; in the former case, K with LHO and -ruff is a self inflicted wound

2) LHO might have led a stiff instead of #1

Also, after winning ruffing , probably try J or T of spades to try and sneak past KS with RHO in case the ruff exists.

#7 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-April-02, 22:09

O.K., now here is the kicker. If you win the club in dummy, cash the heart ace for a diamond pitch then play the AK of diamonds, RHO follows with the 10Q. Now what?

#8 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-02, 23:38

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-April-02, 22:09, said:

O.K., now here is the kicker. If you win the club in dummy, cash the heart ace for a diamond pitch then play the AK of diamonds, RHO follows with the 10Q. Now what?

Don't see the need to take a pitch before AK of (win T1 in hand to preserve entry to board). But I suspect that it probably wouldn't have made the play problem so interesting :D?

#9 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-April-03, 08:33

View Postfoobar, on 2018-April-02, 23:38, said:

Don't see the need to take a pitch before AK of (win T1 in hand to preserve entry to board). But I suspect that it probably wouldn't have made the play problem so interesting :D?

That's true - and my problem. I never considered the J9 of diamonds anything but losers. Suffice it to say, LHO held: K9x, x, xxxxx, Q10xx. By returning to hand with a heart, I either was going to be overruffed or self-uppercutted. :P

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-April-03, 14:54

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-April-02, 14:03, said:

Imps. All vul. Opening lead club 3. What is the safest line?

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-April-02, 16:00, said:

If you choose to play the J, it wins.

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-April-02, 22:09, said:

View Postfoobar, on 2018-April-02, 23:38, said:

Interesting problem, WinstonM. I don't know what's the best line but, if you intend to win the opening lead in hand, then it costs nothing to
Try dummy's J, at trick 1. When that finesse wins, a reasonable continuation is
Cash A.
Cross to dummy's A.
Discard a on A.
Discard another on K,
Return to hand with A, and
Advance Q.

Most lines involve playing 2 rounds of s early but this line runs the risk that that an opponent can ruff the 3rd round of s. with a small .

Another winning line is K, Discard a on A, AK, ruff a . As the cards lie, you can return to hand with A, to lead Q.

Admittedly, it's easier to find successful lines after peeking at the full deal :)

#11 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-April-03, 16:48

View Postnige1, on 2018-April-03, 14:54, said:

Interesting problem, WinstonM. I don't know what's the best line but, if you intend to win the opening lead in hand, then it costs nothing to
Try dummy's J, at trick 1. When that finesse wins, a reasonable continuation is
Cash A.
Cross to dummy's A.
Discard a on A.
Discard another on K,
Return to hand with A, and
Advance Q.

Most lines involve playing 2 rounds of s early but this line runs the risk that that an opponent can ruff the 3rd round of s. with a small .

Another winning line is K, Discard a on A, AK, ruff a . As the cards lie, you can return to hand with A, to lead Q.

Admittedly, it's easier to find successful lines after peeking at the full deal :)

Think of this as a trick 1 problem - what line are you going with. I decided to ruff 1 diamond and pitch 1 diamond and rely on the spades being either stiff 9 or 32. I was concerned about LHO holding 3 clubs only and the 9xx in spades so that if I played 3 rounds of clubs and lost a spade to Easts king, the 4th club would then doom me. So I won the king in dummy, pitched a diamond on the heart ace, and played 2 rounds of diamonds, on which the Q10 came down. Now I had another quandry - start on spades and risk a diamond ruff if LHO holds Kx and RHO holds 9xx or continue to ruff the master diamond to strip east of the ruff risk. I decided to ruff the J of diamonds, then I had to either come back to hand with a third club ruffed or a heart ruffed. I chose hearts - unsuccessfully. :o

#12 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2018-April-04, 13:50

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-April-03, 16:48, said:

Think of this as a trick 1 problem - what line are you going with. I decided to ruff 1 diamond and pitch 1 diamond and rely on the spades being either stiff 9 or 32. I was concerned about LHO holding 3 clubs only and the 9xx in spades so that if I played 3 rounds of clubs and lost a spade to Easts king, the 4th club would then doom me. So I won the king in dummy, pitched a diamond on the heart ace, and played 2 rounds of diamonds, on which the Q10 came down. Now I had another quandry - start on spades and risk a diamond ruff if LHO holds Kx and RHO holds 9xx or continue to ruff the master diamond to strip east of the ruff risk. I decided to ruff the J of diamonds, then I had to either come back to hand with a third club ruffed or a heart ruffed. I chose hearts - unsuccessfully. :o

View Postnige1, on 2018-April-03, 14:54, said:

This is the line suggested by Gszes

#13 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-April-04, 14:39

Doesn't it seem more likely, though, that a heart ruff is safer as West did not lead a heart and the clubs could be 1-5? The question that is eating me is did I play badly or was I unlucky? I can live with either as long as I know.

#14 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2018-April-05, 06:05

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-April-04, 14:39, said:

Doesn't it seem more likely, though, that a heart ruff is safer as West did not lead a heart and the clubs could be 1-5? The question that is eating me is did I play badly or was I unlucky? I can live with either as long as I know.

s or (or both) might be 6-1.
If you believe defenders' carding, LHO has length in both minors, making a shortage in likely.
If LHO has Kx doubleton, and 6 s, then RHO can ruff a , anyway, whether or not you cross to A.
If you successfully re-enter hand with a ruff, you aren't out of the woods. If RHO has Kx doubleton, and 5 s, he can lead a 3rd to promote LHO's 9.
20-20 hind-sight, of course :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users