• You cannot reply to this topic

your move

#1 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-March-18, 17:14

void Kxxx AKQJxx xxx

Red v Red partner opens 2 - p - to you

Your plan? Possible follow up auctions to come.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-March-18, 17:51

I rank...
1. 4 = NAT Hope to win the auction. 4+2 by us scores better than 7X-2 by opponents.
2. 6 = PRE Let's play Poker.
3. 7 = PRE Could be a 4/5 or 7 hand opposite say x x A Q x x x x x x x x x x
4. 4N = RKC Misdirection.
5. 4 = SPL Another bit of fun (but some modern partnerships use this as a half-key ask).
6. 2N = REL And lead a to opponent's contract.
7. 3 = SPL Another Dance Invitation to opponents.
There are other cunning bids.

This post has been edited by nige1: 2018-March-19, 16:14

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-March-18, 18:40

6H

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-18, 18:49

Yes 6, unless we have a way to find out if partner has A. I don't want to be in slam if he hasn't it, although we could still hope to ditch his club losers on the diamonds before drawing trumps.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-18, 18:50

View Postnige1, on 2018-March-18, 17:51, said:

I rank...
1. 4 = NAT Hope to win the auction. 4+2 by us scores better than 7X-2 by opponents.
2. 6 = PRE Let's play Poker.
3. 4N = RKC Misdirection.
4. 4 = SPL Another bit of fun (but some modern partnerships use this as a half-key ask).
5. 2N = REL And lead a to opponent's contract.
6. 3 = SPL Another Dance Invitation to opponents.
There are other cunning bids.

4 should be fit not splinter IMO, and I quite like psychic fit jumps in circumstances like this.
We would use 4 as blackwood, so 4N would be voidwood with a spade void, which has the advantage opps may not have discussed what X means.
5 voidwood is probably my favourite piece of subterfuge.

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-18, 19:40

Main reason I'm all for 6H is that someone has the spades and it's not us. I'd prob sac all the way to 6H anyway so why not blast and hope to make it.

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-18, 20:46

View Postdiana_eva, on 2018-March-18, 19:40, said:

Main reason I'm all for 6H is that someone has the spades and it's not us. I'd prob sac all the way to 6H anyway so why not blast and hope to make it.

Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2018-March-18, 21:00

It would be nice to know the form of scoring. At imps, we don't want to risk a disaster, while at mps we may want to generate a big result while risking a terrible one.

At imps I use Blackwood. I don't want Lho bidding any number of spades over my slam bid and I think that sounding as if I have a powerhouse, with no obvious voids, and then bidding slam is the route that generates the least likelihood of Lho bidding. Since I am not even sure I can beat 6 !s, I really want to act as if I own the hand. Blasting slam sounds like what I have and is imo more likely to induce the call I really don't want to hear, 6!s. If my Lho is incapable of 6!s, when it is right, we're probably winning anyway.

At mps I'd like to think I'd psyche 2!s against most opps. There is the risk that partner will keep correcting to spades ever after, but surely even the most obtuse partner will pass 7!H if I pull 6 !s. Meanwhile, if partner can't raise spades, good luck to them finding the save. This might increase the odds of a club lead, but it might also get a lightner double, which I will not send back.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-March-19, 02:47

4 as controls asking bids for holding in clubs. Usually has a trump fit but not totally guaranteed.
Blasting has its advantage as this bid will tell opps what to lead if you have losers,
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#10 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-March-19, 03:42

At matchpoints I might walk the dog and bid only 5 H.
At imps it might be fun to pass and then keep bidding over the opps.
If I knew what Zia would do then I would bid the same.

The tragic result usually is that partner will be void in diamonds and hold AQ sixth plus the QJx of clubs.

#11 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-19, 06:50

Lots of alternatives, but I like the psychic bid of 2 one round force as a bid, followed by a raise to 6! I trust partner hasn't got any four card suit with the weak s so I'm going to try to put the opposition off the scent of getting involved in spades. That said, a direct raise of 6 is probably the best bid to keep them out of the bidding, but with both sides vulnerable how do we know they are going to compete?

#12 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-19, 07:06

One option that hasn't been mentioned is 6. The opps might still bid 6, but at least partner will then lead a diamond.

I've no idea what I would do at the table. I suspect that my bid might be affected by my view of how strong are our opponents.

#13 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-19, 07:19

View Postmikeh, on 2018-March-18, 21:00, said:

It would be nice to know the form of scoring.

If it matters this was the Sunday Swiss against opponents I don't know but they won the Open Pairs the day before. Match#5 at the top of the leader board.

#14 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-19, 07:43

5. Both sides can probably make 4M, but there is less certainty at the 5 level and even less at 6. 5 seems to me a quite possible make and, if not, a good save over 4. The rest is playing poker (and you could be right do so - or not)
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#15 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2018-March-19, 07:52

View Postdiana_eva, on 2018-March-18, 19:40, said:

That is the equivalent of playing Russian Roulette with the Russians (!)Posted Image

"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#16 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-19, 08:02

View PostPhilG007, on 2018-March-19, 07:52, said:

That is the equivalent of playing Russian Roulette with the Russians (!)Posted Image

No it's not. Look at the cards, look at those monster fits. You're not giving away that many tricks, and opps are making at least 4S on their side. And if you defend you don't know whether those diamonds are cashing, or if you'll ever get the lead to cash them. I actually think this will make a lot of times, and you're a lot less likely to get a favorable lead by fooling around and allowing opps to explore their fit and strength.

#17 User is offline   Left2Right 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-19, 09:46

I authored a convention for just this hand type after seeing a lady world champion friend of mine and her world class partner struggle to find the right spot with just such a hand.

Ogust is a well known convention for inquiring further information about the weak two bidder's hand.
Ogustus is my add-on to Ogust.

See the slide show that explains it in detail at My web site.

Cheers.

#18 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-19, 10:08

It is a 5 or 7 hand in hearts depending on the lead with a spade ruff and 6 tricks in each read suit or 6 again depending on the lead.

17 ways to approach it, almost all of which would work (except science) including a direct 7 and that would be tasty in a midnight game when the leader has both black Aces. Partner had a 3-6-2-2 with AQJ and out. I don't know the opponents exact hands but RHO had KQ+ and no reason to lead anything else.

I walked the dog a bit with 2nt hoping to divine or influence the opening lead.

3 (uh oh) - p - 3 (back in the game?) back to me so I cue bid 4

4 by lho passed to me so I bid 6 now, float +1. LHO noted that he almost bid 6 which only goes -2 but I think I would bid 7 over that and maybe should have bid it already and see if they smell a rat. Voidwood on clubs would do the trick but sadly was not on our card.

At the other table it went 2 - p - 4 - 5 back to my hand for a 5 bid.
One of the opps now bid 5 which inexplicably went float for -1.

Fun hand but I'll try to get to the grand next time. And voidwood is now on our card.

#19 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-19, 10:23

View Postggwhiz, on 2018-March-19, 10:08, said:

It is a 5 or 7 hand in hearts depending on the lead with a spade ruff and 6 tricks in each read suit or 6 again depending on the lead.

17 ways to approach it, almost all of which would work including a direct 7 and that would be tasty in a midnight game when the leader has both black Aces. Partner had a 3-6-2-2 with AQJ and out. I don't know the opponents exact hands but RHO had KQ+ and no reason to lead anything else.

I walked the dog a bit with 2nt hoping to divine or influence the opening lead.

3 (uh oh) - p - 3 (back in the game?) back to me so I cue bid 4

4 by lho passed to me so I bid 6 now, float +1. LHO noted that he almost bid 6 which only goes -2 but I think I would bid 7 over that and maybe should have bid it already and see if they smell a rat. Voidwood on clubs would do the trick but sadly was not on our card.

At the other table it went 2 - p - 4 - 5 back to my hand for a 5 bid.
I think my lho was 5-1-1-6 and now bid 5 (maybe passed back to rho for that bid?) which inexplicably went float for -1.

Fun hand but I'll try to get to the grand next time. And voidwood is now on our card.

I don't see why you'd want to be in grand with two quick losers. IMO pat yourself on the back that you pulled off a slam which should go down and stop dreaming about the grand :)

#20 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2018-March-19, 13:33

View PostNickRW, on 2018-March-19, 07:43, said:

5. Both sides can probably make 4M, but there is less certainty at the 5 level and even less at 6. 5 seems to me a quite possible make and, if not, a good save over 4. The rest is playing poker (and you could be right do so - or not)

5 for me also.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users