• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

your move

#21 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-March-19, 14:07

Depends on whether you want to use science or not.

Personally, I would bid 6H even at IMPs (definitely at MPs). It sure looks like the opponents have a double fit in the black suits (although partner could be very short in diamonds and have a few clubs). If that's the case, there's a fair chance that partner has a stiff club. If not, maybe he has the A or Kc. If not, maybe the opponents won't lead clubs (they have a lot of spades). If not, maybe the opponents can make 5S. Lots of chances for something good to happen.

If you want to use science, then 4C over 2H ought to be a control-ask in clubs.

Cheers,
mike

#22 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-March-19, 14:53

Left2Right, on 2018-March-19, 09:46, said:

Ogust is a well known convention for inquiring further information about the weak two bidder's hand.

Ogust is a bit clumsy but has the merit of offering useful inferences when you do not use it, either because you are not strong enough or because you are too strong.
In the second case we use 4 as kickback over any preempt in another suit, which would work nicely here.

#23 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2018-March-20, 06:50

mikeh, on 2018-March-18, 21:00, said:

It would be nice to know the form of scoring. At imps, we don't want to risk a disaster, while at mps we may want to generate a big result while risking a terrible one.

At imps I use Blackwood. I don't want Lho bidding any number of spades over my slam bid and I think that sounding as if I have a powerhouse, with no obvious voids, and then bidding slam is the route that generates the least likelihood of Lho bidding. Since I am not even sure I can beat 6 !s, I really want to act as if I own the hand. Blasting slam sounds like what I have and is imo more likely to induce the call I really don't want to hear, 6!s. If my Lho is incapable of 6!s, when it is right, we're probably winning anyway.

At mps I'd like to think I'd psyche 2!s against most opps. There is the risk that partner will keep correcting to spades ever after, but surely even the most obtuse partner will pass 7!H if I pull 6 !s. Meanwhile, if partner can't raise spades, good luck to them finding the save. This might increase the odds of a club lead, but it might also get a lightner double, which I will not send back.

A better reason to use blackwood is its more likely to generate a club lead. But I like the idea.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#24 User is offline   jammen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-March-21, 10:50

Well, I bid 6 with no other consideration. But isn't the problem with Ogustus that it allows low level intervention? I think the entire premise of this problem is that the opponents have a huge fit and can make 10-12 tricks, so we must blast as a two-way bid; Keeping the opponents out of the bidding with a chance to make the contract.

#25 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-21, 15:05

jammen, on 2018-March-21, 10:50, said:

Well, I bid 6 with no other consideration. But isn't the problem with Ogustus that it allows low level intervention? I think the entire premise of this problem is that the opponents have a huge fit and can make 10-12 tricks, so we must blast as a two-way bid; Keeping the opponents out of the bidding with a chance to make the contract.

A practical approach to be sure but I found it very unusual in that you can dive to the 7-level with a chance to make (1 spade ruff and 6 in each red suit) if you are lucky or can basically make the opening lead by cue bidding clubs or via voidwood in clubs.

Meanwhile if the opponents hearts had been 3-0 instead of 2-1 the hand is a shuffled and dealt potential double grand swing!
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users