Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dummy

#1 User is offline   sheilafran 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-March-18, 09:14

Please can someone explain what the ruling should be in the following situation.

Opponents are in 3NT and when declarer plays his 11th card he realizes there are only 2 cards in dummy instead of 3. He already has 9 tricks and the Ace of Spades in his hand and says "oh dear there are only 2 cards in dummy so I will claim 1 more trick" which he does and the claim of 10 tricks is accepted. Dummy then says "I must have overplayed" but then he stretches the 2 cards on the table and finds the third card which is the Queen of Clubs which would have been a trick. Declarer now states he would have made 12 tricks if he had seen the additional card on table and now wants to claim 12 trick stating that everyone at the table is responsible for ensuring dummy displays all 13 cards.

So what happens now?

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2018-March-18, 10:15

View Postsheilafran, on 2018-March-18, 09:14, said:

So what happens now?

Dummy (the player) is responsible for correctly displaying dummy (the hand).

If dummy revokes because a card is not visible, the defence may be entitled to a Law 64C adjustment.
If the defenders misdefend because they can not see all of dummy's cards they may be entitled to an adjustment (Law 12A)

Declarer claimed and conceded some tricks, and then tried to claim more tricks - declarer is only entitled to more tricks if every normal play of the remaining cards gives him more tricks (Law 71)
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-March-18, 10:42

Well he can't concede tricks it's impossible for him to lose. So, unless there is some reasonable way for him to not take the tricks i think he gets them.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-18, 10:46

What happens now is you call the director. How he will rule depends on what the deal looks like and what has already happened in the play.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2018-March-19, 16:26

Declarer and defenders also get a PP. Breach of Law 9. (see my general remarks below)
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#6 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-20, 05:58

View Postweejonnie, on 2018-March-19, 16:26, said:

Declarer and defenders also get a PP. Breach of Law 9. (see my general remarks below)

I see no reason whatsoever for a PP. Law 45F begins: "After dummy’s hand is faced, dummy may not touch or indicate any card (except for purpose of arrangement) without instruction from declarer.". This was for the purpose of arrangement. RMB1 is right that declarer only gets to make the queen of clubs if all normal plays lead to him making it.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-20, 19:45

I think jonnie is refering to Law 9B1{a}: The director should be summoned at once when attention is drawn to an irregularity. However, the Introduction to the laws tells us that when a player fails to do what he "should" do, that is an infraction, but one which will rarely incur a procedural penalty. "Rarely" is not never, so a PP is certainly possible, but I think there ought to be more to it than just "you didn't call the director".
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users