bid that flat monster

#1 User is offline   zdedo 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-March-17, 23:48

team match, Imps, all white
W deals and passes partner bids 1!C RHO passes
What to bid?
and where to stop if p showed another 18hcp with 4432?
Thanks

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-March-18, 00:30

I'd start with whatever forcing club bid I had in my system, failing that 1D.

Is partner showing specifically 4=4=3=2 or just any 4432 shape? Opposite the former I think we want to be in only 6NT, e.g. KJxx AQxx AKx Jx would be typical and 7NT is far from odds on. You might bid 1C-forcing club raise; 2NT (18-19)-5NT; 6NT.

ahydra

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-March-18, 01:42

It's not quite a monster as there are no intermediate cards, long suits and one tenace. I'd downgrade it in 2/1 or SAYC to a 1NT opener with its 4333 shape. That said, as responder, an inverted forcing minor response of 2 could be used, however, if you and your partner always bid the longer convenient minor, 1 looks safe, though whatever you bid if partner has opened on a minimum a contract of 6NT could be a bid too far, and might also get played from the wrong side of the table. It's not the response that is the problem but the subsequent bids after 2 or 1.

#4 User is online   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-18, 01:47

Playing inverted minors, it is an easy 2C hoping to follow at some stage with a quantitative NT bid to emphasize on the flat shape of the hand. Obviously if partner show some kind of unbalanced hand we’ll know where to land.

Absent inverted minor raises, it seems we’re bound to some 4SF sequence followed by a club fit and hope for the best.

In all cases, the hand is not good enough to drive alone to slam.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-18, 06:15

View Postapollo1201, on 2018-March-18, 01:47, said:

Playing inverted minors, it is an easy 2C hoping to follow at some stage with a quantitative NT bid to emphasize on the flat shape of the hand. Obviously if partner show some kind of unbalanced hand we’ll know where to land.

Absent inverted minor raises, it seems we’re bound to some 4SF sequence followed by a club fit and hope for the best.

In all cases, the hand is not good enough to drive alone to slam.

Depends to some extent what system you're playing and what the club shows, if the club if balanced will always be 15 (weak no trump, 4M, 4 card club type system), slam is very likely and you can bail if there aren't enough keycards or you don't like how it's developing.

#6 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-18, 08:47

View Postzdedo, on 2018-March-17, 23:48, said:

team match, Imps, all white
W deals and passes partner bids 1!C RHO passes
What to bid?
and where to stop if p showed another 18hcp with 4432?
Thanks

What does 1 promise?

Anyway, you don't have a problem yet. You make a forcing bid - 2, if you play inverted minors; 2NT if this forcing (It is a good hand for Baron, or Jacoby?); or just bid 1 if none of these are available.

When partner shows up with 18 HCP and 4432, you seem to have a good shot at 6NT, but are unlikely to have enough to make a grand slam good odds. You usually need a source of tricks for a grand Slam - it is rare to be able to bid it on brute force alone. If you check on aces and kings and any are missing a Grand Slam is probably reliant on a finesse at best (poor odds). Even if all are present, this will give you eight tricks and you will need a further five tricks in queens and Jacks. Three queens and two Jacks might get you to thirteen - if they are supporting each other and there is no wastage - but having to finesse for a missing queen to make a jack would not be good. You need to find out some very precise info to judge accurately to bid a Grand Slam. I would not be trying.

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-March-18, 08:58

View Postzdedo, on 2018-March-17, 23:48, said:

Team match, Imps, all white. W deals and passes partner bids 1!C RHO passes. What to bid?
And where to stop if p showed another 18hcp with 4432?

IMO...
- In reply to 1, bid 2 = NAT F1, if playing inverted minor raises.

- After partner's rebid shows a 4432 18 count:
- - If you can find a 4-4 fit, then you should investigate the grand.
- - with no agreed methods, you might risk 5N, which you hope partner will interpret as a grand-slam try, but leaving room to explore for a 4-4 fit, Baron-style.
- - otherwise, settle for 6N.

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-18, 09:52

View PostTramticket, on 2018-March-18, 08:47, said:

What does 1 promise?

Anyway, you don't have a problem yet. You make a forcing bid - 2, if you play inverted minors; 2NT if this forcing (It is a good hand for Baron, or Jacoby?); or just bid 1 if none of these are available.

When partner shows up with 18 HCP and 4432, you seem to have a good shot at 6NT, but are unlikely to have enough to make a grand slam good odds. You usually need a source of tricks for a grand Slam - it is rare to be able to bid it on brute force alone. If you check on aces and kings and any are missing a Grand Slam is probably reliant on a finesse at best (poor odds). Even if all are present, this will give you eight tricks and you will need a further five tricks in queens and Jacks. Three queens and two Jacks might get you to thirteen - if they are supporting each other and there is no wastage - but having to finesse for a missing queen to make a jack would not be good. You need to find out some very precise info to judge accurately to bid a Grand Slam. I would not be trying.

You probably need KJxx, AQJx, Axx, QJ if 4432 to make it laydown with almost no possible deviation, this may not be so difficult in a strong club system, but is really difficult in anything natural ish.

#9 User is offline   lubogospod 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-March-19, 02:20

If I play with PC or with partner not enough mutual experience, I would reply 3nt safe bid. You don't have majors and a lot of points it would mean like 15. If 1c was not full hand opener, they pass. If opener had actually 15+ they should reply 4nt a slam invite. On which we reply of course 6nt.

In the end it is either 3nt, 6c or 6nt.

#10 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-19, 07:03

I would start with 1d. This is a strong hand and I want to give partner as much space as needed to give opener as much space as I can to describe their hand. A 2c inverted raise takes up what may be a precious level of bidding and oddly make it harder to find a good club fit. Finding p with a 18 count 4432 type does not preclude a grand IF we have a club fit since a 13th trick might easily come from being able to ruff either a 4th round of openers other 4 card suit OR opener being able to ruff with
their doubleton. In ANY (even w/o a club fit) scenario if our side has all the aces and kings (and club Q) I would go ahead and bid 7N since at worst I am missing 2 queens or 4 jacks or a queen and 2 jacks. Those queens and jacks are VERY likely to come under the guns of some form of squeeze.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users