BBO Discussion Forums: This didn't end well, any thoughts and what I should have done? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

This didn't end well, any thoughts and what I should have done?

#1 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2018-March-27, 02:53

MPs, R v W, Opps are county level and my partner has played county level.

Me 3 AKJ94 KQ6 AQ98
Partner JT98 QT7 T42 JT7

[2S*] X [P] [2NT]
[P] 3NT [X] All pass

*Described as could be very weak and 5 cards (looking at the traveller I suspect nobody else bid it)

My original thoughts we X and then 3H but partner's 2NT was unexpected and as it was MP maybe 3NT would be a good result. I did wonder about 4H after the their double but then we could be getting out of control and make a bad situation worse. As RHO said at the end of the bidding, it was going to be a top for one of us. In the end -2 for a bottom. Most tables played in 1H with one table making 4H and another 3H. Double dummy has us as 3H max.

So, any thoughts? Given the strength of my Hearts would 3H have been a better start? Should I have stuck to my original plan and bid 3H over partners 2NT?

Or should I just shrug and accept sometime preempts work as partner would not have bid over 1H from me?

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-March-27, 02:59

Most people I suspect don't play 2N as natural here (either Lebensohl as I play or scramble), and partner probably didn't as he has way too few points for a natural 2N.

X is fine to start, you bid 3 over 2N to show a big hand with a heart suit and partner either raises or doesn't.

#3 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-27, 03:19

Double is a good start - you have a strong hand and are playable in three suits. If you overcall 3 immediately, then you could have a weaker hand than this and will probably end the auction, you remove two potential suits from play, and partner will probably not have enough in the minors to bid three no trump when it is right.

Your plan should be to bid three hearts over most of partner's bids. Although many will think that this implies six, the general expert method is that this is a 'strong and flexible' bid - implying a hand too strong to overcall, perhaps still interested in partner's suit (when he has bid one), showing 5+ hearts. The corollary from playing 'strong and flexible' is that single-suited hands try to find an overcall at an appropriate level rather than double, or make it very clear what they have after the double.

For three no trump to be right, partner probably needs a double spade stop or nine running tricks. With finesses likely to fail, and limited points opposite meaning nine running tricks are highly unlikely, it is worth investigating other contracts.

Cyberyeti said the same in shorthand :)
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-27, 03:32

Thanks. We do't play Lebensohl as we're just an occasional partnership and try to keep things simple. In the absence of a firm agreement all bids are natural.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-27, 04:00

View PostSimonFa, on 2018-March-27, 03:32, said:

Thanks. We do't play Lebensohl as we're just an occasional partnership and try to keep things simple. In the absence of a firm agreement all bids are natural.

In that case 2N is a bad bid, it shows more than this, you would be bidding 3N on a 16-17 count and dialling a number.

#6 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-27, 05:55

View PostSimonFa, on 2018-March-27, 02:53, said:

MPs, R v W, Opps are county level and my partner has played county level.

I think that 2NT intended as a natural bid was a poor choice.

#7 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-27, 07:37

I agree with all of the above but in the absence of any useful agreement I think you should still bid 3 over 2nt.

With your shape and quality spot cards, if 3nt makes 9 tricks, 4 could easily make 10 or more. Being passed out in 3 would be a lucky surprise as I expect partner to choose the best game.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#8 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-27, 10:30

View PostTramticket, on 2018-March-27, 05:55, said:

I think that 2NT intended as a natural bid was a poor choice.

What would you have bid?

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-27, 11:21

View PostSimonFa, on 2018-March-27, 10:30, said:

What would you have bid?

3, holding my nose. In competitive auctions like this I think it's common that notrump bids (even 1nt) are constructive in the 8ish range, not this dreck.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-27, 11:23

Suggestion, and I'm not kidding: 2NT is never, ever natural. If you want to show a simple invite over 1N go through Stayman.

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-27, 11:55

If 2 NT is not leben then you have even more reasons to bid 3 instead of 3 NT imo.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2018-March-27, 12:29

View PostMrAce, on 2018-March-27, 11:55, said:

If 2 NT is not leben then you have even more reasons to bid 3 instead of 3 NT imo.

Yes just bid 3.

#13 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-March-27, 14:19

Your sort of stuck by your agreements. Whatever partner bids you have no idea what's in his/her hand. Because of this, I think you just have to make the rebid you were planning to make in the first place, namely 3 . If partner has positive values for the 2 NT call, then partner can carry on to 3 NT. 3 also implies some concern about else you pass or make a 3 NT call.

It would probably be good to discuss with partner what a "natural" 2 NT call should be over a weak 2 bid. Since NT contracts depend more on total high card strength, bidding 2 NT on 4 HCP even with all the 10s just can't be right, especially so when Red. Your hand could be a lot less, maybe like x A732 KQ63 A642 and 2 NT is a horrendous contract.

I'm with ggwhiz on this one and bidding 3 with partner's hand and your agreements.

#14 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2018-March-27, 15:00

Over partner's 3 you then may rebid 3 as originally planned after your TO double.

#15 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-March-28, 01:49

It is indeed unfortunate that you did not play lebensohl.You had to double and then face the fifficult decision of rebid..Under these circumstances you had to bid 3H to show a 5plus good suit and reluctance to play in NT contract.3NT is ,in my personal opinion,not the right bid on your part.

#16 User is offline   0deary 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-28, 03:36

Are there enough normal and variant weak 2s around to be worth discarding the routine “double for take out” (which just offer free insurance) in favour of eg Hackett, where tiered bids describe hands (for 4H here) but leaving the double for the axe?

#17 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-28, 10:07

View Post0deary, on 2018-March-28, 03:36, said:

Are there enough normal and variant weak 2s around to be worth discarding the routine “double for take out” (which just offer free insurance) in favour of eg Hackett, where tiered bids describe hands (for 4H here) but leaving the double for the axe?

You will probably defend 2SX more often if you play take-out doubles than if you play penalty doubles (because a hand with values but without spades can double, and partner with spades but not enough values to make a penalty double on his own can leave it in).

#18 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-March-28, 17:37

IMO
- North's double seems reasonable. 3 might end the auction, when game is on.
- South's 2N response deserves sympathy, although Pass or 3 might be better.
- Playing transfers, 3 by North would be good. A natural 3 is probably better than 3N. But 3N is reasonable.
- SimonFA was unlucky that defenders' s wreck dummy.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users