BBO Discussion Forums: Opening Bids - where do you draw the line? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opening Bids - where do you draw the line?

#21 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-March-06, 20:56

I tend not to open any but the best of balanced 11s. 4 is close to the mark, but lack of aces and 10s makes it fall short. I open 1 and 2, pass the rest.

ahydra

#22 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-06, 22:23

I might pass all of them but I think 4 is an opening. Maybe also 2 and 3. 6 I would consider but I don't think I would in practice.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#23 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-06, 22:47

All of them are 1 opener for me. (except number 2, which I would open as well)
Change the spade suit to and I may pass 2 of them.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#24 User is offline   tritonium 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-March-07, 01:20

I would open only #4, which has 7 losers. All the others have 8 losers. Partnership agreement is 7 losers.

#25 User is offline   0deary 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-March-07, 01:43

Well I’ve just posted a valedictory message on the previous one (feel like the shop keeper trying to sell a dead parrot :)) but these new examples are great- good fun!

I’m a “playing tricks” sort: top honours need intermediate support (without it lose tricks and tempi), whole hand sets the type (offensive/defensive), and bidding is a positional consequence...so you won’t be surprised that these examples just fall short. I tried plenty of ultra weak openers and mini NT in my time but the better players just gratefully take our imps

#26 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-07, 02:33

Lots of interest and fun here. And of course there are no right answers - just answers that are right for your partnership.

For what it's worth, here are my views (perspective weak NT four-card majors):
- 1 & 2 fit easily within my no trump range and are automatic openers.
- At one of my clubs, it is becoming normal for a 1NT opening to be described as 11-14. I am increasingly including 11-counts in my 1NT - particularly at pairs. Hands 3, 4, and 6 are hands where I would probably open 1NT (never hand 5).
- I don't understand comments about "playing tricks". Playing tricks are a pretty poor valuation method for No Trump contracts. The examples are all balanced and no trumps is a likely contract.
- Some have commented that they are more likely to open these hands in third seat. I understand the sentiment, but have a different perspective based on playing a weak no trump. Third seat is the most dangerous place to open a weak NT, because your LHO is marked with some strength. I certainly won't open 1NT any weaker in third seat and might if anything tend towards caution (downgrading poor 15 counts etc.). I am very comfortable opening a weak NT in second seat - its a very descriptive bid. I will preempt aggressively in third seat, and open unbalanced hands aggressively (particularly if I want the hand led or i own the spade suit), but balanced hands tend to have plenty of defensive strength and relatively little playing strength and there is no reason to be over aggressive with balanced hands in third seat.

#27 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2018-March-07, 03:47

View Postnullve, on 2018-March-06, 08:43, said:

Yes.

first second fourth seat...12HCP and a 5 card suit. UNLESS 11 HCP 2.5 QT and a rebiddable suit....period.

#28 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-07, 04:52

View Postnige1, on 2018-March-06, 20:48, said:

In general, when you can, it pays to open the bidding. so your decision depends on with which openers your system can cope..
Playing a strong 1 system, with the other 1-openers limited, you might take Spotlight7's advice and risk opening all the example hands .
Playing 2/1, even 1, 2, 3, and 4 are risky openers,.

Interestingly, when playing a robot best-hand tournament, you should probably risk opening them all, because you have the boss suit and your hand caps the other hands.

Which is why "best hand" is so horrible

#29 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-07, 07:06

Second hand, vulnerable against NV my partners would expect a little more than any of these hands have. Third hand NV I’d open those with a decent suit, but that’s about it.

#30 User is offline   0deary 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-07, 08:23

By “playing tricks” I meant “tricks won by playing” that is “winning tricks,” sorry TrramT

Maybe “1S= 12+ but with exclusions by agreement?” (so can pass bad 12s systematically)?

But that leaves the 5 who would open Board 5; the 7 on Board 3 and the 8 on Board 6…

#31 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2018-March-07, 09:39

View Postnullve, on 2018-March-06, 08:43, said:

Yes.

May I suggest you read the famous poem "The Boy Stood on the Burning Deck" and read the
fate of Casabianca who "always followed orders" Quite often the blind lead the blind(!) :rolleyes:
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#32 User is offline   mulefloyd 

• Pip

Posted 2018-March-07, 11:46

Very interesting. My initial thoughts were open 1 & pass the rest but 6 looked very tempting so I loved hearing everyone's thoughts.

#33 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-07, 12:23

I'd definitely open 1-3, probably open 4 and 6, and very likely pass 5.

#34 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-07, 13:44

Interesting - I much prefer opening hand 4 with 1S over opening 1 and 2, and also prefer it over 3.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#35 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-07, 15:37

Bleh, hand 2 is the best hand IMO. A pawn is a pawn.... oh wait this is bridge... a point is a point! Hand 1...ok that ones really bad I can't defend it :P
The artist formerly known as jlall

#36 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-07, 17:06

Second seat vulnerable at IMPs:

Playing a 2/1 system, I would open one spade (not without some trepidation) on hand 1, one club on hand 2, and pass the rest. But with respect to hand one, remember that I don't allow 1NT forcing on any game-force hand (max of a really bad 12). No bidding 1NT forcing with 13 and then jumping to 3NT. So I will pass a 1NT response with hand one. Another reason to play 1NT as forcing with exceptions. If partner makes a 2/1 call, I'll try to steer things into 3NT rather than 4S if I can.

Playing GIB tourneys, however, all of them are easy openers.

Playing a strong club system, you can probably open all of them, although hand 5 is still a bit of a stretch.

Cheers,
mike

#37 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2018-March-07, 18:23

A little science: http://bridge.thomas....com/evaluator/

#38 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-07, 19:00

I would open 1 and 2. If you don’t open a weak NT, partner will never believe you have one.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#39 User is offline   mlbridge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-07, 23:23

First and second seat, I pass the lot if imps.

Third seat - I open any with 11+hcp and 5 spades

Fourth seat, I passed the hands with less than 11 hcp since I have no aces.

#40 User is offline   cleveritis 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-March-08, 01:43

I would open 4 and 6 without hesitation... the others would pass or open depending on vulnerability... 6 has fewest points, but Im happiest opening that with the texture.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users