Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB doesn't even try for slam

#1 User is offline   wbartley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-February-25, 11:57

This one really surprised me. I thought NT sequences would be rock solid but GIB really blows it here.

Just play bridge robot. Human South

3N shows 25-27. GIB has a solid 6 count with a five card spade suit. There should at least be an invitation here although it could be argued that North should just bid 6.

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-February-25, 12:17

Your blinded by the result . You are a max with great diamonds and they break 3-3.
Sure Gib should invite but maybe you shouldn't bid 3N which really handcuffs methods
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2018-February-25, 13:17

View Postwbartley, on 2018-February-25, 11:57, said:

This one really surprised me. I thought NT sequences would be rock solid but GIB really blows it here.

Just play bridge robot. Human South

3N shows 25-27. GIB has a solid 6 count with a five card spade suit. There should at least be an invitation here although it could be argued that North should just bid 6.

On the GIB convention card it says “3NT 25 to 27”. The system notes don’t say what 2C-P-2D-P-3NT is.
My first experience opening 3NT left me playing it there, while those who opened 2C and rebid 2NT reached a cold slam. It doesn’t seem fair, but that’s GIB.

The only thing I see that might have worked would be raising 2D response to 3 (or possibly rebidding 2NT that shows only 22-24 HCP!)
Here’s link to system notes. There’s another link at top of page that will take you to convention card.

http://www.bridgebas...ystem_notes.php

GIB is a very difficult partner, no doubt about it.

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-25, 13:31

Seems GIB's system leaves it stuck for a bid - 4 is gerber?! 4 and 4 are Texas, and 4nt apparently denies a 5 card major. Can't say responses to 3NT openings should be high on the priority list though.

#5 User is offline   jammen 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-26, 10:38

This looks like an interesting play problem in 6nt on a low club lead to the King. It doesn't seem right to play for both club honors to be onside, so duck trick one and win the club continuation with the Ace. Let's assume that neither spades nor diamonds split. If we try diamonds first then there is no possible squeeze against an opponent holding guards in both majors, so after unblocking spades and cashing one round of diamonds we must try the heart suit. When that suit behaves we now have a chance. On the fourth round of hearts pitch a diamond catering to an automatic spade/diamond squeeze on West or a club/diamond squeeze on East when the ace of spades is cashed. If West has the club/diamond guard and East the spades then you are going down no matter what, while if East has spades and club guards we went wrong at trick one.

#6 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-04, 10:13

GIB has a history of acting strangely opposite very strong balanced hands, often due to lack of ability to replicate. Here the high level which reduces the system options doesn't help either.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users