BBO Discussion Forums: rebidding a 5 card major suit - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

rebidding a 5 card major suit

#1 User is offline   knew 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-February-20, 08:47

I am an intermediate bridge player. I play on occasion with a more advanced player. I was told as responder{my partner opens 1 clubs]} I can respond 1 heart with 4-5 heart but donot repeat the hearts even if I have 5???? I was referred to the Bridge Bulletin, April 2017 pg 57. There is an example near the bottom page where responder has 5 heart {8,6,5,4,2} I understand this example that I would not repeat the suit. Can we rebid 5 card major?????at the 2 level as responder?? Lets say I have 6-9 HCP... Thanks

#2 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-February-20, 11:23

Normally, yes you can, but with this particular example 7543 86542 AKJ5 -(void), you're on a misfit and passing is correct. With misfits, you don't want to bid on as further bidding may get you to a higher level and greater set. So, the best option with a "1 bid" hand is to get out of the auction as quickly as possible.

Had the auction gone

1 - 1
1 NT

and you held this same hand, it would be entirely proper to rebid 2 which is a signoff to play. Why? By rebidding 1 NT partner has presumably shown a balanced hand, so should have at least 2 , so you know you have at least a 7 card fit.

Normally, opener will bid 1 NT with a 5-3-3-2 with 5 . So, normally when opener rebids 2 , opener is likely to have 6. The only exception would be if partner holds a minimum hand and 4 cards in a suit that would be a reverse. Something like Kxx x xxxx AKJxx would be such a hand in the context you are asking about. But with Kx xx xxxx AKJxx, opener would likely just rebid 1 NT.

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-20, 12:14

As responder, you only rarely want to repeat a suit with only 5 cds (with 6+ it's more routine). The main scenarios where repeating a 5 cd suit is somewhat common are:
1. Opener rebids 1nt, and will often have 3 cd support and at least 2 (unless you've agreed opener is allowed to rebid 1nt with a singleton in your suit with certain awkward hands which has both pros and cons, a stylistic choice), and you have no game interest, wanting to stay at the 2 level, 6-9/bad 10 pts. With unbalanced hands it will often be better to rebid a major (but with 5 spades and 4+ H bid the heart suit next). If you have a stronger hand with a 5 cd major, after 1nt you typically learn gadgets such as "new minor forcing", "2 way checkback" to find out if partner has 3 cd support for you, to help you choose between 3nt/4M.

2. Partner makes a reverse bid, e.g. 1c-1h-2d, or 1c-1s-2h or similar, bidding at the 2 level a new suit higher ranking than his first bid. It's common to repeat a 5 cd major here with most agreements. Partner will rebid after this call so you won't be left in a bad fit.

The reason you don't repeat 5 cd majors in other situations is that partner on other sequences is quite likely to be singleton/void in your suit (otherwise would tend to rebid 1nt or raise on 3), will pass your call, and you'll be stranded in a suit where the opponents have more trumps than you do. With stronger hands that have game interest, usually you bid a new suit to find out if partner has 3 cd support, not repeating your major which shows a weaker hand with 6+ M.

#4 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-20, 15:59

Intermediate players far too readily rebid 5 card suits
A good rule is when you rebid your suit (and the bid is not forcing) partner should expect 6 cards and when in doubt should not try to improve the strain just because he is short in your suit.

There are a few exception to this rule, but they are rare.

For example if the bidding starts 1 -- 1 -- 1NT and you hold say KQJTx xxx xxx xx you should rebid your spades.
If opponents hold the A they can take it when declarer's spades are exhausted and your hand will be worthless in notrumps.
In a spade contract you have at least 3 spade tricks and hope for more.
Note that even then it could be wrong. For example if partner got Ax Axx Axxx Jxxx you would have reason to regret not to have passed 1NT.

Rainer Herrmann

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users