BBO Discussion Forums: Robot passes raise of minor after 2/1 game force - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Robot passes raise of minor after 2/1 game force

#1 User is offline   bixby 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-February-19, 07:36

My hand was A102/6/AK1073/K962 and my robot partner had J98/Q84/4/AQJ1054. We were not vulnerable, opponents were. Matchpoints.

I opened 1D in second position, my partner bid 2C (explained as forcing 2/1, forcing to 3NT), I bid 3C (also explained as forcing to 3NT), and my partner passed. We made +150 for a poor matchpoint score. I seem to recall having this same sequence once before.

Has anyone else run into this? Is this a bug?

#2 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2018-February-19, 17:41

View Postbixby, on 2018-February-19, 07:36, said:

My hand was A102/6/AK1073/K962 and my robot partner had J98/Q84/4/AQJ1054. We were not vulnerable, opponents were. Matchpoints.

I opened 1D in second position, my partner bid 2C (explained as forcing 2/1, forcing to 3NT), I bid 3C (also explained as forcing to 3NT), and my partner passed. We made +150 for a poor matchpoint score. I seem to recall having this same sequence once before.

Has anyone else run into this? Is this a bug?

Go to this link http://www.bridgebas...ystem_notes.php

Then select "Click here to see GIB's convention card" at top of page. See "Other" in red on bottom line of "MINOR OPENING" section of the card. You will see 2C resp to 1D opening is not game forcing.

The definition explanations that you will see when you run your cursor over the different calls during the auction are often wrong. This is especially true of the "forcing to 3NT" that you'll see even when the bid was made by a passed hand.

I would say that you are better often reading the explanations than not, but be prepared for them to be partially wrong or completely wrong for some sequences. The best you can do is keep a copy of the GIB card at your side, read the definitions when they are available, and play lots of robot tournaments to gain experience. Even then you will be hard pressed to make it thorough a match without at least one board being adversely affect by a GIB action.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-February-19, 17:56

There may be a hole in the system with invitational hands with long clubs.

But even if the 2 response is not GF, opener's raise should still be forcing.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-19, 18:02

I posted a bug report about this mid-2016, so it's known, just apparently not a priority.

#5 User is offline   bixby 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-19, 20:30

View Postzhasbeen, on 2018-February-19, 17:41, said:

Go to this link http://www.bridgebas...ystem_notes.php

Then select "Click here to see GIB's convention card" at top of page. See "Other" in red on bottom line of "MINOR OPENING" section of the card. You will see 2C resp to 1D opening is not game forcing.

The definition explanations that you will see when you run your cursor over the different calls during the auction are often wrong. This is especially true of the "forcing to 3NT" that you'll see even when the bid was made by a passed hand.

I would say that you are better often reading the explanations than not, but be prepared for them to be partially wrong or completely wrong for some sequences. The best you can do is keep a copy of the GIB card at your side, read the definitions when they are available, and play lots of robot tournaments to gain experience. Even then you will be hard pressed to make it thorough a match without at least one board being adversely affect by a GIB action.

Thank you for this very informative reply.

#6 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-22, 21:18

It's a long known issue that I hope to have fixed in the next update down the road.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users