BBO Discussion Forums: How do you bid slam - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do you bid slam

#1 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2018-February-17, 05:41

These hands came up in a challenge.

{comments}

Using I stress a standard system, how can you get suggest a method of getting to 6?

PS How do I make this diagram bigger? I just copied and pasted the handviewer URL
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#2 User is offline   JanisW 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-17, 06:09

3NT is just too lazy. Reverse into 2H now N can show the -Fit.

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-February-17, 07:42

Agree with JANISW that a 2h bid at least tries to get a picture of your hand to partner. I feel the follow up should be 2N as artificial support allowing opener to pattern out. 2N is a very tiny target opposite what rates to be a distributional opening hand so giving up 2n is fine saving 3d for a preference with no strong reason to bid 3n. The 2n bid does not rule out 3n as a final contract but facilitates finding out more about opener's hand and thus making a much more informed decision about how to proceed when the odds of 5m or more are increased. This hand would go 1d 1n 2h 2n 3c (I prefer opener to show short suit if any) 4c (cue the club ace to show possible slam and warn p out of expecting too much if they were void in clubs) 4d rkc (p is showing a great hand for slam 4d cannot be to play) 4h (1 or 4) 4s dia Q? 5s yes and spade K opener now know responder has Spade K dia Q and club A. It is unreasonable to ask for more than this for a 1n response so 7d is at BEST on a finesse settle for 6d.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-17, 08:42

Well something that's pretty standard over here, this is a pretty minimum 1-2 F1 not FG inverted after which it's trivial.

But playing what you play, yes 2 over 1N is good, also how many diamonds did 1 show ?

#5 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-17, 09:04

1 - 1nt - 2 - 3 creates a game force for my partnership (responder goes through 2nt with lesser hands)

After that start cue bidding and north has room to show the Ace and King below game
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#6 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2018-February-17, 09:45

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-February-17, 08:42, said:

Well something that's pretty standard over here, this is a pretty minimum 1-2 F1 not FG inverted after which it's trivial.

But playing what you play, yes 2 over 1N is good, also how many diamonds did 1 show ?

Yes my robot partner was playing that 1 could show 3 then 1NT was correct. I normally play that 1 guarantees a 4 card suit. Then the bidding could go 1 -2 -3 (singleton) North has now said everything and will bid 3. Now I suppose South could blast 4N and bid 6 after finding 1 ace.

#7 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-17, 09:53

View Postgszes, on 2018-February-17, 07:42, said:

Agree with JANISW that a 2h bid at least tries to get a picture of your hand to partner. I feel the follow up should be 2N as artificial support allowing opener to pattern out. 2N is a very tiny target opposite what rates to be a distributional opening hand so giving up 2n is fine saving 3d for a preference with no strong reason to bid 3n. The 2n bid does not rule out 3n as a final contract but facilitates finding out more about opener's hand and thus making a much more informed decision about how to proceed when the odds of 5m or more are increased. This hand would go 1d 1n 2h 2n 3c (I prefer opener to show short suit if any) 4c (cue the club ace to show possible slam and warn p out of expecting too much if they were void in clubs) 4d rkc (p is showing a great hand for slam 4d cannot be to play) 4h (1 or 4) 4s dia Q? 5s yes and spade K opener now know responder has Spade K dia Q and club A. It is unreasonable to ask for more than this for a 1n response so 7d is at BEST on a finesse settle for 6d.

Yes I should have tried 2 after 1NT. It would have been interesting to here what GIB would have made of that I tend to agree that 2N would then be forcing. After that I am not sure that 3 should be taken as a singleton. It would be more natural to bid 3 the fragment to show 3451 distribution.

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-17, 10:00

We play 1 opening as 4+ cards. While North is borderline for a natural 2 raise, I would prefer 1NT.
In either case modern italian cue-bidding would lead us straight there.
Here is the probable bidding after 1NT:

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-February-17, 10:52

View Postgszes, on 2018-February-17, 07:42, said:

It is unreasonable to ask for more than this for a 1n response so 7d is at BEST on a finesse settle for 6d.

Even 6 looks unlikely unless trumps split 2-2 (about 40%) or the Q is in East (50%), so a 70% small slam at best.
With 28 HCP on the line that's still good going.

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-February-17, 11:03

View Postpescetom, on 2018-February-17, 10:52, said:

Even 6 looks unlikely unless trumps split 2-2 (about 40%) or the Q is in East (50%), so a 70% small slam at best.
With 28 HCP on the line that's still good going.

Your maths is faulty, there are lines that make where none of that is true

#11 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-February-17, 12:06

1D-1N
2H-3D
3H-3S
4C-5C
5H-6D
P

I would play on reverse dummy lines.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#12 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-February-17, 16:08

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-February-17, 11:03, said:

Your maths is faulty, there are lines that make where none of that is true

My maths is fine, but of course those two are not the only factors: I agree there are other lines that make, and for that matter other ways one could go down, although the overall situation is favourable.
My point was that the slam is merely reasonable and the grand a huge risk, even if it happens to make.

#13 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-17, 17:22

View PostWackojack, on 2018-February-17, 05:41, said:

Using I stress a standard system, how can you get suggest a method of getting to 6?

Any strong club system would get you there as well as all these other fine suggestions
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-February-17, 17:25

View Postpescetom, on 2018-February-17, 16:08, said:

My maths is fine, but of course those two are not the only factors: I agree there are other lines that make, and for that matter other ways one could go down, although the overall situation is favourable.
My point was that the slam is merely reasonable and the grand a huge risk, even if it happens to make.

You don't want to be anywhere near a grand, but the small is IMO more than just reasonable.

#15 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-18, 00:09

After 2 responder should bid 2S implying a diamond fit in a max for 1NT. 2H in my view implies an unbalanced hand. After the spade control South can bid 3 Diamonds waiting and after the 4 C return Cue South can just bid the slam. But not getting there really is not so bad particularly if bad breaks and the heart Q perhaps not working...

#16 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2018-February-18, 00:24

View PostJanisW, on 2018-February-17, 06:09, said:

Why didn't North support his partner's suit immediately by bidding 3(?!) The suit is now fixed
and slam investigations can begin
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#17 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Physics<br>Play pool<br><br>Studying Precision System

Posted 2018-February-18, 02:51

View PostPhilG007, on 2018-February-18, 00:24, said:

Why didn't North support his partner's suit immediately by bidding 3(?!) The suit is now fixed
and slam investigations can begin

Playing inverted minor the responder is one HCP short for 1-2 and also one diamond short for the preemptive 1-3. A 9HCP hand would start with 1-1NT and support next round.

#18 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2018-February-18, 03:32

View PostJanisW, on 2018-February-17, 06:09, said:

Not only too lazy, but it fails to accurately describe the SHAPE of you hand to partner. Besides that, 2NT implies a club stop does it not?

#19 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-February-18, 03:54

The raise to 3NT is a clumsy ,if not atrocious, bid on the present hand.
Many players play a 2H bid as only one round force.But even so one will get a chance to make another bid.
With 8Controls and a singleton in the minor suit a very slight overbid will be a jump shift forcing to game.However ,playing with a Robot I shall just make the simple reverse bid of 2H.I ,personally, do not feel that there would be any difficulty in reaching the slam as even the Robot May look at the SK,DQ10xx plus the club Ace will not find any difficulty in establishing the D fit and cue bidding or worse A Key card Blackwood enquirer to reach the slam.
Just to remind, the clumsy 3NT gave up all the faintest hope of slam as it can be made on many other hands not suitable for making any other bid.Responder will certainly note that you have bypassed a few forcing bids and made a discouraging 3NT bid.
If playing Super Precision it will be a very simple hand to comfortably reach 6D.However, very few ,if any,are willing to learn,digest and play it.

#20 User is offline   0deary 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-18, 06:07

The first hurdle is just to agree D at all. Because in SAYC BBO convention card 1D= 3+

But I’d expect us to get here 1D-1N-2H-3D

As I see it the next hurdle is too hard though

Its for South to make the call:- 19 points plus max 9 opposite means we are missing ~12 points: thats a lot!

At match points you really don’t want to end up in 5D (by exploring beyond 3N) at all (because e.g. +400 will not compare with +430 in 3N). So I just think its clear to bang 3N

At imps we might have a little more scope. The difference between 5D and 3N isn’t going to cost more than the odd imp. So if it worth exploring 6D now?

South will have to think about North shape very carefully now. Slightly different flat North hands could mean very poor chances. All you know is that North show 8/9 points (didn’t rebid 2N), 4 diamonds and < 4 in both majors but there is plenty of problematic shape for us: e.g. a 3343 gives us very poor chances. Can I conveniently explore North’s shape before 5D? The trouble is we are off to the races without our saddle: 3H-4C-4N just tells me control information but nothing more about shape. All in all I’m for 3N again unless….

Unless your team is badly down and you really need a result…if so don’t paint the picture too clearly for opponents (e.g. 3H-4C-4N)- just bang 6D and sit back after your team mates offer congratulations!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users