BBO Discussion Forums: something for nothing - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

something for nothing established revoke by declarer

#1 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2018-February-16, 08:10

Trump is .
4 card ending. Exact cards does not matter.
Declarer (South) has two trumps (nobody else has trumps), top and small in his hand
Dummy has top club, two top spades and a .
East on lead plays .
Obvious claim position, declarer cannot lose a trick by any normal play.

Unfortunately, there were no claim.
Declarer, very old person who forgot his glasses, trumped the , played to the dummy, from the table trumped in his hand and the Ace of , thinking it is the Ace of .

Now opponents called a director because of revoke. How many tricks out of last 4 should be given to them?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-February-16, 09:33

Law 64A says:

When a revoke is established:
and the trick on which the revoke occurred was won by the offending player, at the end of the play the trick on which the revoke occurred is transferred to the non-offending side together with one of any subsequent tricks won by the offending side.

Declarer revoked and won that trick, so that trick and one of the subsequent tricks are transfered. 2 tricks to the opponents.

There's nothing that allows reducing the number of tricks transfered; it makes no difference that it would be a simple claim. TD can transfer more if he deems that the standard rectification is not enough to restore equity (64C1).

A more interesting case would be if he claimed and his line of play included the revoke. I think we might have had a thread about something like this before (maybe RR was involved).

#3 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2018-February-16, 10:02

Thanks, it was the adjustment. Wanted to check myself.

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-February-16, 10:33

Opps should be embarrassed!
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2018-February-16, 12:31

steve2005, on 2018-February-16, 10:33, said:

Why?

I will admit that this is an unfortunate case, but everyone who plays is subject to the rules.

Following suit is one of the more basic rules of the game. It is not the opps fault that declarer revoked. If they want to call the TD and have a penalty enforced, that is their right.

Suppose this player is doing the same thing at other tables. If this pair waives the penalty, they will be at a disadvantage to those who do not.

Everyone has to play by the rules. It is unfortunate that this player made an error due to faulty eyesight or whatever. But he is subject to the same rules as everyone else.

This player may be making mistakes against other players that are not subject to penalties - such as throwing away winners or other "bridge" mistakes. The opps are entitled to gain any advantage set forth in the rules of the game.

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-16, 19:35

When I start doing stuff like that, probably next week, I hope my opponents won't say "cut him some slack, he's old and blind." I would be a bit annoyed if they did.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2018-February-17, 15:39

steve2005, on 2018-February-16, 10:33, said:

This is always a tough call. There is the argument that you should simply give him all the tricks and move to the next board. Others would say this gentleman is going to be giving tops to many other opposing pairs and we need to get our top when it is offered just to keep up with some of the other pairs in our direction.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-February-17, 16:38

I made an insufficient bid a couple of weeks ago because I thought my partner's 2 card was 2. And my eyesight is still pretty decent.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users