BBO Discussion Forums: I just finished tournament 11 for my first immersive bot game - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I just finished tournament 11 for my first immersive bot game and i noted some of the following head bang against the wall problems

#1 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-February-14, 14:52

1. Holding 2344 and 9 hcp no opp bidding partner opens 1s 1n(forcing) 2d 2s? the ONLY* time 2s MIGHT be better than 2d is if opener is 5332 specifically (*a smidgeon of the time with 6 ratty spades and 4d opener might bid this way also) why not pass?.
2. The overwhelming majority of slam exploration is useless because so MANY sequences have the same meaning.
3. Even when the bot :understands: a bid it NEVER pays attention to what it knows. 1s 2s 3d (HSGT+) 4s with QJx QJx xxxx QJx which is almost the most useless hand available and pass with xxxxx Axx Q xxxx which is so good I would encourage slam.
4. The bot completely fails to take previous bidding into consideration. P opens 1n p 2h (transfer) p 2s p p 3c 3s (this competing hand with 4s near max and 2 small clubs) ALWAYS gets a 4s bid since the bot now thinks opener had a super accept which was DENIED earlier in the bidding.
5. I am astounded at the number of times the bot failed to lead its partner overcall suit in favor of some speculative play (that invariably worked when it was defending against me and failed miserably when it was my partner in defense). At the very least change that situation to lead the overcallers suit unless there is GOOD REASON to avoid it.
6. rho opens 1c p 1s p 1n x if you DARE x here with say Axx QJx KQx xxxx you are in HUGE trouble because the bot is giving u credit for 16+ clearly impossible given your first pass.

This is primarily meant for the programmers but anyone that hurts from these same issues feel free to take out your frustration here:)))))))))))

#2 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-14, 16:36

View Postgszes, on 2018-February-14, 14:52, said:

1. Holding 2344 and 9 hcp no opp bidding partner opens 1s 1n(forcing) 2d 2s? the ONLY* time 2s MIGHT be better than 2d is if opener is 5332 specifically (*a smidgeon of the time with 6 ratty spades and 4d opener might bid this way also) why not pass?.

Bidding 2S on this sort of a hand is fairly normal playing 2/1. You want to give partner the opportunity to make another bid when holding extras but not enough to force to game over a 1NT response. Opener could easily have a 5-4 17 count and bid this way.

Plus it's matchpoints, so majors are good.

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-February-14, 22:22

View Postgszes, on 2018-February-14, 14:52, said:

2. The overwhelming majority of slam exploration is useless because so MANY sequences have the same meaning.

Amen. Worse Gib takes a free bid and it still show 12-21. How can you do slam/game bidding sensibly when so many bids don't narrow the hand strength down.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-15, 15:29

View Postsfi, on 2018-February-14, 16:36, said:

Bidding 2S on this sort of a hand is fairly normal playing 2/1. You want to give partner the opportunity to make another bid when holding extras but not enough to force to game over a 1NT response. Opener could easily have a 5-4 17 count and bid this way.

Plus it's matchpoints, so majors are good.

As u say its MP where bidding sketchy games is a marginal idea at best anyway. Coming back with a positive score is usually best when playing in the BEST strain. Sometimes 2s will work but most of the time it will be inferior and the entire concept of
MP is avoiding inferior contracts because all tiny errors are magnified at this form of scoring. Normal does not mean it makes sense. If the 9 count happened to be especially well placed QJ xxxx AQxx xxx I think 3d is superior to 2s and should more than take care of any of those 17 hcp rarities.

#5 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-15, 16:33

View Postgszes, on 2018-February-15, 15:29, said:

As u say its MP where bidding sketchy games is a marginal idea at best anyway. Coming back with a positive score is usually best when playing in the BEST strain. Sometimes 2s will work but most of the time it will be inferior and the entire concept of
MP is avoiding inferior contracts because all tiny errors are magnified at this form of scoring. Normal does not mean it makes sense. If the 9 count happened to be especially well placed QJ xxxx AQxx xxx I think 3d is superior to 2s and should more than take care of any of those 17 hcp rarities.

I'll let you take up the fight against decades of 2/1 development and publication. I'm just saying the robots are bidding that hand in the same way the majority of tournament players using the same system would.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users