• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Event 12+ discussion Not a registration

#1 User is offline   frank0 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-February-14, 14:08

I'll open this thread to discuss possible ways to deal with event 12 and further.

- You can continue to debate MP vs. IMP, best vs. not, KO vs RR, etc. here.

- Let me know (post here or private message) if you are interested in organizing this event. I might be able to handle one or two more, but cannot guarantee to do it forever. For future organizer, you can set up your own rule, or continue the way I did.

Thanks,
Frank

#2 User is offline   xbabarx 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-14, 21:56

IMPs. ..BH. ..RR

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-February-15, 01:21

I continue to request not best hand. Don't mind so much whether MP or IMP.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2018-February-15, 01:40

Anything but best hand IMP is good for me.

I wouldn't mind a straight KO. Yes the seeding points are a bit random, but I wouldn't mind totally random KOs (like the FA Cup).
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#5 User is offline   heart76 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-15, 02:08

IMP not BH. MP ok also.
RR is fine, unless you want to shorten it and go for direct KO. In this case I'd think a larger number of boards is better.

It's very nice of you taking care of this and actually listening to all voices. Keep up the good work :)

#6 User is offline   twisterrz 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-15, 02:24

Anything but imps best hand :) Cheers!

#7 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-15, 06:23

Best Hand is awful. Knowing you have the best hand can certainly distort the bidding and possibly the play as well. It is not bridge

#8 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-15, 14:30

My 0.2$ (again):

I don't feel strongly between IMPs and MP (maybe MP is the better overall test but IMPs is good fun for different reasons).

However, I strongly prefer best hand with these GIB tournies. Defending with GIB is an abomination to bridge and should be avoided as far as possible.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-February-15, 14:55

IMO:
  • Best hand. Arguably not Bridge but it does increase the skill element.
  • MPs. Reduces the chance of a match turning on the result of just one high-scoring board.
  • Swiss. A improvement on round-robin and knock-out which -- allows long matches among those in contention -- and has less risk of the 2nd best player being eliminated early.

#10 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-15, 15:01

View Postbroze, on 2018-February-15, 14:30, said:

However, I strongly prefer best hand with these GIB tournies. Defending with GIB is an abomination to bridge and should be avoided as far as possible.

I agree. Best hand may not be bridge, but defending with robots is even less like bridge.

My hope is that one day BBO will bring in an option where best hand means either you or your partner has the best hand; that would add a lot of variety to the auctions.

#11 User is offline   el mister 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-16, 04:16

Slight preference for best hand MPs. Also like a straight KO tournament.

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-February-16, 09:23

View Postbroze, on 2018-February-15, 14:30, said:

My 0.2$ (again):

Is that inflation, or are your ideas really worth 10x everyone else's? :)

#13 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-16, 14:26

View Postbarmar, on 2018-February-16, 09:23, said:

HEHE I have never even had anyone say a "penny for your thoughts" so 20 cents is someone with an astronomical ego:)))) TYTY for running these and I would be happy to take on the job but am clueless how you manage to do everything that you do.
FWIW Best hand IMPS (this will help eliminate the anti bridge passing due to the risk of missing games). Scoring a round robin by total score is just not fair since the hands are not duplicated and a string of dull hands and small victories can
get one eliminated when there are much more whimsical hands elsewhere. I would propose a round robin of say 16 board matches using win/loss of each match (swiss style) (TIES COUNT AS TIES) rather than the size of the victory in deciding who moves on to the knock out round. If there are TIES at the end of the round robin start with head to head then go to total imps. If this fails to remedy the problem then give the player with the HIGHER seeding the benefit of moving forward. NO COIN TOSSES SHEESH. SEEDING for the knock out round is changed to reflect how each player did in the round robin phase. One more change I would propose is that the length of the knock out matches be decided and played as a GROUP. Give each player say 1 week (if this is programmatically possible) to complete their (who knows how many boards) and turn in their result when both have completed all of their boards. NO BOARD DOOVERS due to stuff like my hand wasn't the best hand. A mechanical error can occur that can be quite costly. If this happens STOP and ask the TD (who should err on the side of NOT granting a undo) for an undo which will be granted UNLESS the bot play has revealed some important piece of information affecting your LOP/DEFENSE if you have already followed at your next opportunity forget it. There is also no redress if you are playing a hopeless (including unfavorable suit splits) contract (even if it was a sacrifice). If an undo is not programmatically possible then eliminating the board is a great option rather than a replay.

If a knock out round ends in a tie then let the higher seeded player move on. If the championship round ends in a tie then both are declared winners. (this isn't las vegas where breaking ties are worth a ton of money).

#14 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-16, 14:42

View Postgszes, on 2018-February-16, 14:26, said:

One more change I would propose is that the length of the knock out matches be decided and played as a GROUP. Give each player say 1 week (if this is programmatically possible) to complete their (who knows how many boards) and turn in their result when both have completed all of their boards. NO BOARD DOOVERS due to stuff like my hand wasn't the best hand. A mechanical error can occur that can be quite costly. If this happens STOP and ask the TD (who should err on the side of NOT granting a undo) for an undo which will be granted UNLESS the bot play has revealed some important piece of information affecting your LOP/DEFENSE if you have already followed at your next opportunity forget it. There is also no redress if you are playing a hopeless (including unfavorable suit splits) contract (even if it was a sacrifice). If an undo is not programmatically possible then eliminating the board is a great option rather than a replay.

None of that is possible with challenges.

#15 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2018-February-17, 05:30

In the past couple of months, I have been challenged regularly by a beginner personal friend who is keen to learn. He has not had any lessons and in the challenge he judges what bid to make purely from the robots prompts. He likes imp best hand the most because it gives him more chance to play the hands. (A thing that many beginners and non beginners like) We have played about 400 hands and my average is just over 2 imps per hand. When we have played non best hand the difference is much smaller. I was beaten by a few imps once over 16 boards and tied once with MP.

That is why I prefer best hand. When GIB opps get the best hand the randomness definitely increases. I appreciate that on a few hands you can make deductions that you cannot make with non best hands. nevertheless it is still a test of bridge skills and to describe it as non-bridge is going a bit far.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#16 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-17, 12:48

View Postbarmar, on 2018-February-16, 09:23, said:

Ha! Good catch
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#17 User is offline   Mkgnao 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-17, 14:52

I dislike IMPs non-best hand, since I do not enjoy losing a match based on a random finesse slam swing coupled with a lot of boring boards. Anything else will do.

Straight KO sounds fun, simply use the same seeding procedure as used for the premier events at the Nationals.

#18 User is offline   shail100 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-February-25, 22:18

defending with GIB is painful. hence prefer best hand

need more boards to reduce luck factor in imps. hence prefer MP

My vote MP(best hand).

I can live with regular hands, but then prefer imps and longer matches.

#19 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2018-February-26, 13:49

I don't understand the complaints about non best hand. At the table we defend twice as many hands as we declare. Additionally, best hand lets us do stupid robot tricks that arent profitable otherwise.

While theres not much to think about with a yarb, this reflects the ebb and flow of live bridge as well.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#20 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-26, 14:03

View PostPhil, on 2018-February-26, 13:49, said:

I don't understand the complaints about non best hand. At the table we defend twice as many hands as we declare.

At the table, your partner does everything he can to help you - opening lead conventions, signals, etc.

With GIB, your partner leads and plays based on the assumption that you can magically guess which suit he wants you to switch to without any signals.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users