BBO Discussion Forums: Do you need to look at your hand? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you need to look at your hand?

Poll: Do you need to look at your hand? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

You're given 13 cards and the auction below, and you're already running well behind. Do you bother to look at your hand?

1. Yes (21 votes [91.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 91.30%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Other (2 votes [8.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-February-08, 18:21

This sequence was the source of a rather silly dispute between my regular P and me - not so much what he should have done on his hand (passing was obvious), but whether he could possibly have a hand consistent with having passed twice (he had a multi-2 available) that could be bidding on now.

IMP scoring.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-08, 18:49

I look at my hand before I make my first call. (which was a pass in this occasion)
But if I had some quick nap at the table and did not look at my hand during the auction until now, then yes I better look at it now! Posted Image
But I suspect you are not asking a question or seeking an answer about looking at our hand part... Rather you are trying to make a point that pd should have passed and it is so obvious in that auction that one does not even need to look at his/her hand.
You must be really pissed to make this post. :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-08, 18:54

View PostMrAce, on 2018-February-08, 18:49, said:

You must be really pissed to make this post. :)

It's that obvious? :P

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-08, 19:11

Yes I look at my hand and if i have a 5530 yarb I bid 5di. Otherwise I probably pass
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-February-08, 19:30

Of course i look at my hand. If you don't this will be the time you miscounted your points or missorted your hand and had 5 suits.
But no not likely to take an action other than pass.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#6 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2018-February-09, 08:55

View PostJinksy, on 2018-February-08, 18:21, said:

This sequence was the source of a rather silly dispute between my regular P and me - not so much what he should have done on his hand (passing was obvious), but whether he could possibly have a hand consistent with having passed twice (he had a multi-2 available) that could be bidding on now.

IMP scoring.

You should ALWAYS look at your hand How else are you going to make the correct decision(s) ??!! Ridiculous question :rolleyes:
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#7 User is offline   0deary 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-09, 09:33

Q You're given 13 cards and the auction below, and you're already running well behind. Do you bother to look at your hand?

A

Time Management. This can be a problem in any busy life! Write down a personal plan, decide what most is important, be realistic, avoid distractions and put a stop watch in your pocket

Partnership breakdown. This is never easy. Reflect on how much you shared together and how much you would lose now. Fortunately your issue is completely private and the less said now the easier it will be in future. Lucky day: Tuesdays!

#8 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2018-February-09, 09:59

IMP scoring.

In my club,if a pair was well behind the TD told both pairs to note the board number and any bidding and replay it at
the conclusion of the tournament. Online here there is absolutely no excuse for falling behind. If its
the opponents who are tardy,the TD should be summoned after 30 seconds non action just as in an automated tournament
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#9 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-09, 19:04

At these colors, it is always possible for opening bidder to have quite a distributional and weak hand and pass. 876543 87654 32 void. While this is quite a dramatic example I have few doubts that 5cx is not going to be the final contract. It is normally why we do not make an x of the opps when we expect to defeat them only 1 trick (and when they are nvul maybe even 2 tricks) at imps because it is not worth it in the long run. If the xer was not prepared for partner to bid on with a dramatic hand they are almost certainly better off passing 5c.

#10 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-February-10, 10:21

IMP scoring.

I shall always pass but certainly it is not a sin to have a quick look at your hand before taking any decision.Ones call must be in the same tempo all the while.Some players close the cards quickly and make a hasty suggestive pass,and this is unfair.

#11 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-10, 13:21

Is it just me, or was "do you need to look at your hand" obviously metaphorical, in the sense of "can a non-passing hand exist", not meant to be taken literally like (almost) everyone seems to be doing :unsure:

#12 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-11, 06:54

Yeah, Timo was right on the money. My - glacially slow - partner had tanked for about 30 seconds in a game we were already behind on in this position with KQTx xxxx xxx xx, and I snapped at him afterwards for wasting everyone's time.

As Timo also guessed, I was pissed at the time of posting, and the intended question was 'are there any 13 cards consistent with passing twice and bidding now?'

Maybe the answer is yes, but I don't think the hands people have given above are right. If the normal criterion for pulling a double of 4+ to the 5+ level is because you think you're making, then the canonical hand would be something like QJTxx KQTxxx x x (or whatever would fall just under a bid over 5 for you), and P would be entitled to raise on AKxx Axxx Kx AQx or similar.

If you're going to pull on the same sort of shape but no values, then even when pulling was 'right', you'll probably find yourself playing in 7Mx. Or you need to be playing an agreement that pulling says 'I think they were making' rather than 'I think we are', which seems like courting disaster.

#13 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-11, 07:20

I think you were a bit harsh on partner - this is an extremely unusual auction, and it's not abnormal to think for a bit "What the heck is going on?" before passing. Maybe you think it's obvious that you have a strong takeout of diamonds (including something in clubs) - but could you maybe have a double-and-bid hand that didn't expect to have to make a decision over 5? E.g. I would wonder whether you could be 4=6=2=1, planning to bid 4 over 4 --- in which case we can probably make 6. Say Axxx AKQxxx Ax x.

If you do have a takeout double, opponents are playing in their inferior fit.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users