• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lead problems from Crush

#1 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2018-February-07, 08:16

For four days in Houston I had the honor and extreme pleasure of partnering Ira Chorush. If you don't know Ira, he is one of those pro's pros, that many good players come to for advice. We also played with Timo and Richard and was part of their run.

We also had some fun meals together and talked a lot about bridge. He gave me two lead problems and while he thinks problems like this don't really have a 'right' answer, these two do. Both are problems from the MSC, which he is a panelist.

1. 1N - 6N. KT8xx QTx xx Jxx.

2. 2C - 4N - 5H (2)- 7N. Qxx Jxxxxx x QJx.

Thanks.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-07, 09:00

I may as well have go:

(1) Opponents seem to be bidding 6NT on power, based on balanced hands. If responder had some shape he would have shown his shape and looked for a fit and maybe a grand slam. I have 6 HCP and partner has little or nothing. The usual advice against a 6NT contract is to lead passively and I can see no reason to lead away from any of my honours.

X

(2) This is a completely different sort of auction and I am guessing that it has been bid based on a long running suit (after checking for aces). The long suit is likely to be diamonds (my singleton) and I'm not leading that. There is potentially room for partner to have something - maybe even a king. The strong hand is on my left and I'm guessing to lead:

X

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2018-February-07, 10:07

1 - X

2 - J
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2018-February-07, 18:17

1. This was last month's bridge world. The majority opted for a 'passive' diamond, but if you make the assumption that partner has exactly a jack, a diamond is the worst lead you can make and a club stands out. Dummy probably has diamond length, and you can easily pick off partner's Jxxx.

2. I don't know when this was published. Assume declarer has a long diamond suit and it is NOT running. What is plan B for declarer? if you give dummy two aces, that means dummy must have the rest of the goodies - AKJTxx KQx x AKx is a likely a hand. A low club is possible, but a spade rates to force a guess in the alternative trick source immediately.
Hi y'all!

#5 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-08, 06:52

Thanks Phil - interesting ideas.

On (1), I can see that opps have AKQ between the two hands, so the J is dead anyway. Hence clubs is the safe passive lead.

It is not totally risk free: partner might hold TXXX and declarer A9, when the club suit is frozen. But I can see that clubs is the least likely to concede a trick.

#6 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2018-February-08, 09:13

View PostTramticket, on 2018-February-08, 06:52, said:

Thanks Phil - interesting ideas.

On (1), I can see that opps have AKQ between the two hands, so the J is dead anyway. Hence clubs is the safe passive lead.

It is not totally risk free: partner might hold TXXX and declarer A9, when the club suit is frozen. But I can see that clubs is the least likely to concede a trick.

Sorry, should have specified the Jack, not a spot for that exact reason.
Hi y'all!

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-08, 09:54

View PostPhil, on 2018-February-08, 09:13, said:

Sorry, should have specified the Jack, not a spot for that exact reason.

That seems better but still loses when declarer has AT in hand opposite KQxx in dummy or equivalent.
Of course, the J also puts declarer on a guess when he has HH9x in dummy opposite Hxx in hand. Unfortunately, we are Ira Chorush, so declarer will know we might lead the T from JTxx if we feel forced to lead that suit.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users