BBO Discussion Forums: Disciplinary procedures - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Disciplinary procedures

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,035
  • Joined: 2009-September-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:London

Posted 2018-January-30, 09:33

I am very interested to know why one player with prior knowledge of the hands gets a ten-year ban while another gets 18 months. True, the first person’s knowledge is due to his manipulating the hands himself, and I can see an added sentence for tampering, but still. I find it impossible to believe that justice has been served in both cases.

No doubt there are details which are not available to the public, but it is important not only that justice be done, but that it be seen to be done.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein
0

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 126
  • Joined: 2012-October-26
  • Gender:Female

Posted 2018-January-30, 09:51

I worked in a legal environment some years ago and trust me when I say 'The law is an ass' as I saw so many inconsistencies in my time working there. It happens everywhere, not just in the world of bridge.
0

#3 User is offline   Tramticket 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 608
  • Joined: 2009-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kent (Near London)

Posted 2018-January-30, 12:18

View PostVampyr, on 2018-January-30, 09:33, said:

I am very interested to know why one player with prior knowledge of the hands gets a ten-year ban while another gets 18 months. True, the first personís knowledge is due to his manipulating the hands himself, and I can see an added sentence for tampering, but still. I find it impossible to believe that justice has been served in both cases.

No doubt there are details which are not available to the public, but it is important not only that justice be done, but that it be seen to be done.


Are you who able to provide more information? Or give links? Who? Where? When? Etc.
0

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,688
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2018-January-30, 13:55

View PostTramticket, on 2018-January-30, 12:18, said:

Are you who able to provide more information? Or give links? Who? Where? When? Etc.


The current one, P14 of the most recent EBU mag will illuminate.

This was in club bridge, I think the other one (if the OP is talking about the Welsh one where the guy turned up with his own stacked deck to swiss teams) was bigger events with bigger prizes.
0

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,035
  • Joined: 2009-September-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:London

Posted 2018-January-30, 22:35

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-January-30, 13:55, said:

The current one, P14 of the most recent EBU mag will illuminate.

This was in club bridge, I think the other one (if the OP is talking about the Welsh one where the guy turned up with his own stacked deck to swiss teams) was bigger events with bigger prizes.


I doubt that WBU events have fabulous prizes even compared to a random club in the midlands.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein
0

#6 User is offline   gordontd 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,765
  • Joined: 2009-July-14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 2018-January-31, 02:41

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-January-30, 13:55, said:

The current one, P14 of the most recent EBU mag will illuminate.

This was in club bridge, I think the other one (if the OP is talking about the Welsh one where the guy turned up with his own stacked deck to swiss teams) was bigger events with bigger prizes.


I think it may be more significant that the Welsh one was nearly 20 years ago. Recent sanctions have tended to be less severe.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK
0

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,688
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2018-January-31, 03:39

View PostVampyr, on 2018-January-30, 22:35, said:

I doubt that WBU events have fabulous prizes even compared to a random club in the midlands.


No, but they did award red/green points so more serious event than a random club night
0

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 102
  • Joined: 2014-February-18

Posted 2018-January-31, 07:51

View PostFelicityR, on 2018-January-30, 09:51, said:

I worked in a legal environment some years ago and trust me when I say 'The law is an ass' as I saw so many inconsistencies in my time working there.


I was taught never to say that, but at times sentences are indeed hard to understand:
http://www.eurobridg...s-Nunes-CAS.pdf
0

#9 User is offline   barmar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 16,870
  • Joined: 2004-August-21
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2018-January-31, 10:35

View Postpescetom, on 2018-January-31, 07:51, said:

I was taught never to say that, but at times sentences are indeed hard to understand:
http://www.eurobridg...s-Nunes-CAS.pdf

That's not really a case of a confusing sentence, just a court that wasn't really qualified to make a judgement coming to a poor ruling.

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,035
  • Joined: 2009-September-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:London

Posted 2018-January-31, 11:19

View Postgordontd, on 2018-January-31, 02:41, said:

I think it may be more significant that the Welsh one was nearly 20 years ago. Recent sanctions have tended to be less severe.


How terribly sad and, well, wrong. Many of the top Welsh players felt that ten years was too short.

Is this because the WBF said that they donít mind cheaters, itís tattletales who are the real villains.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users