Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How ambitious are you

#1 User is offline   JanisW 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-January-29, 10:50

With your 10+card Fit, how ambitious do you get?

Regards
Janis

#2 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-January-29, 11:05

Partner has shown what strength? Presumably at least 5-5 in hearts and a minor?

I am not familiar with this method - does 3NT ask for the minor? Having said this, we only have three points in partner's suits and I rather suspect that partner has wasted values in clubs.

4 seems to be enough.

#3 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-January-29, 14:07

Sorry, but if partner is bidding 3 as a Michaels bid and forcing to the 4 level vulnerable, then partner can't have a lousy hand. If partner does, that's on partner.

No matter which minor partner has, this is a very good hand in support of partner's hand. Give partner as little as x AKxxx AJxxx xx and slam is a good bet. Partner ought to have much more than that hand.

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-29, 14:35

View Postrmnka447, on 2018-January-29, 14:07, said:

Sorry, but if partner is bidding 3 as a Michaels bid and forcing to the 4 level vulnerable, then partner can't have a lousy hand. If partner does, that's on partner.

No matter which minor partner has, this is a very good hand in support of partner's hand. Give partner as little as x AKxxx AJxxx xx and slam is a good bet. Partner ought to have much more than that hand.

Not without risk void, AKxxx, Jxx, AKQJx would be unfortunate, but I think is the right bid.

#5 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-29, 18:23

I'm slambitious.

Opposite any partner I've ever played with we have zero losers in spades, hearts and clubs 95% of the time with the rare exception of KQJTxx over there that can't be picked up.

I'll start with 4 but expect I won't find out what I want to and would gamble 6 most often. If partner ever shows a diamond suit I'll make a modest try for the grand with 5.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#6 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-January-29, 20:14

View Postggwhiz, on 2018-January-29, 18:23, said:

I'm slambitious.

Opposite any partner I've ever played with we have zero losers in spades, hearts and clubs 95% of the time with the rare exception of KQJTxx over there that can't be picked up.

That's nice but you don't know partner's minor, if it's clubs I'd rather be in 4.
Even great hands don't necessarily mean solid and bad splits happen more often after pre-empts.
If 3N asks for the minor that will be better than 4.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#7 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-30, 06:48

View Poststeve2005, on 2018-January-29, 20:14, said:

... you don't know partner's minor, if it's clubs I'd rather be in 4.

I agree with this and would add that a simple vacant places argument would suggest that partner's minor is likely to be clubs.

Do we have any method to find out partner's minor? (Other than a "pass or correct" 4?). What are the continuations if we bid 4? Will partner show the second suit or cue-bid? This auction seems messy and I think that I prefer Leaping Michaels over a weak two.

#8 User is offline   JanisW 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-January-30, 07:12

Do you agree with the bidding?

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-30, 08:29

View PostJanisW, on 2018-January-30, 07:12, said:

Do you agree with the bidding?

I might agree if you explained 5 and 6 :)
I would be mildly concerned that the stronger hand becomes dummy, even though conceding that in this case the opponents already know much about it.

We would probably bid as follows (click for explanations):

#10 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-30, 09:04

View Postpescetom, on 2018-January-30, 08:29, said:

I might agree if you explained 5 and 6 :)
I would be mildly concerned that the stronger hand becomes dummy, even though conceding that in this case the opponents already know much about it.

Seconded, my quibble would be that that is how I'd bid with K rather than a void, amd the difference could be crucial.

I'm guessing 4N is KC, 5 is 1, 6 for me offers choice of contract so 5-6 or 5-7 but at the table asked for help in the suit. I would not have bid 7 on the N hand anticipating something more like x, AKxxx, Ax, AQJxx where an ace and the K is what you require.

#11 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-January-30, 13:28

View Poststeve2005, on 2018-January-29, 20:14, said:

That's nice but you don't know partner's minor, if it's clubs I'd rather be in 4.
Even great hands don't necessarily mean solid and bad splits happen more often after pre-empts.
If 3N asks for the minor that will be better than 4.

Of course, with 5 trumps you should be able to ruff out partner's losers, if any, if that's partner's second suit.

I also agree with Cyberyeti's "nightmare" hand as a problem, but think it's definitely worth the risk of that hand to move forward.

#12 User is offline   kanchi 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-January-31, 03:43

Bdidgame4h

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-31, 06:16

View PostTramticket, on 2018-January-30, 06:48, said:

Do we have any method to find out partner's minor? (Other than a "pass or correct" 4?).

3 shows old school big 2 suiter hands.
4 is your only way to ask minor without risking to play below game.

Anyway I am very surprised with 4 bidders. Seriously! WTF people?

Your pd is bidding 3 and forcing you to play one of his suits at 4 level vs your possible xx and xx in his suits and you are bidding 4 with an ace + void + QJxxx fit?

EDIT: You can take my word on that or not, up to you, but i swear I wrote this before I saw the whole deal.

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-January-31, 12:18

View Postrmnka447, on 2018-January-29, 14:07, said:

I would be angling to find out which minor partner holds - if diamonds, I would be thinking slam and possibly grand slam. If clubs - I'm not so in a hurry to bid slam even. void, AKxxx, QJ, AKJxxx would be realistic.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#15 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-01, 07:25

I would be a TON happier if the heart QJ were in the diamond suit since they rate to be no better than xx in our 10+ trump suit. Even after devaluing our only useful HCP outside the spade A, this hand is just wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too good to stop short of 6 opposite a partner that is forcing us to play at the 4 level + opposite what could easily be xx (or worse) in support of one of their suits. I will start with a semi useless 4s which can be cleared up quickly as a cue bid later in the bidding. We may have no strong way to get to 7 but surely we can bid no less than 6:)))))))

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users