BBO Discussion Forums: Why would GIB lie in this situation?? :( - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why would GIB lie in this situation?? :(

#1 User is offline   kurthugo 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-January-29, 00:59

http://tinyurl.com/y6v76xqb

The hand at the link above is from the weekend survivor tournament. I obviously have a monster hand, and when I hear 2S from partner I just need to find my partner with AK of diamonds (among other possibilities) to make 6S an excellent bet (the club finesse will almost certainly be on if i need it given the bidding). 3C by me is described as a cuebid showing the A, GIB responds 3D showing the A, and 3H by me again shows the A. Now comes the unexplainable... GIB bids 4D which it self describes as showing AK of diamonds. Of course, I know he doesn't have enough points to have the A of spades as well, so I place the contract in a nicely bid 6S slam... except the robot doesn't have the K of diamonds, so down 1.

So obviously GIB lied. But what could possibly be the benefit of lying about having AK of diamonds here? Sometimes when you have a tough bid I understand you might need to lie a little, but to lie about a control bid to partner in a situation like this is completely indefensible. Can anyone explain this? If this bid doesn't guarantee AK of diamonds then why would you explain the bid as AK of diamonds?? Either don't make the bid (which it shouldn't) or change the explanation. The robot should not lie to partner about specific cards... that is as bad as having the robot lie about the number of keycards in response to a keycard ask. It can only end badly for the partnership.

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-January-29, 07:55

Gib is just cooperating with a fit as you could be very strong. Your 3 bid shows 23 pts. I'm surprised Gib didn't keycard.
Gib doesn't bid well when you show an off-shape strong takeout double also.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   kurthugo 

• Pip

Posted 2018-January-29, 14:58

View Poststeve2005, on 2018-January-29, 07:55, said:

Gib is just cooperating with a fit as you could be very strong. Your 3 bid shows 23 pts. I'm surprised Gib didn't keycard.
Gib doesn't bid well when you show an off-shape strong takeout double also.

I hear ya and if Gib is just cooperating by finding a reasonable bid that's fine, but it shouldn't be explained as showing AK. That just can't be right. It's the explanation that's either simply bad or possibly a bug. Especially since my 3H bid says my hand is strong enough to search for slam, it's gonna be a disaster to lie about specific cards like this.

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-29, 16:53

View Postkurthugo, on 2018-January-29, 14:58, said:

I hear ya and if Gib is just cooperating by finding a reasonable bid that's fine, but it shouldn't be explained as showing AK. That just can't be right. It's the explanation that's either simply bad or possibly a bug. Especially since my 3H bid says my hand is strong enough to search for slam, it's gonna be a disaster to lie about specific cards like this.

Agree, if the system says this shows AK but North still wants to show more (fair enough given the extra shape and max for 1D response to the TOX) then it should just make a temporising bid such as 3S.

ahydra

#5 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-29, 18:24

There are a few weird things with cuebidding:

- jdonn has said in the past GIB sometimes makes a false cuebid when it is strong enough to cuebid but no other bid fits
- sometimes a cuebid is described as denying something like a lower ace, despite the fact you couldn't cue it (due to that bid having a different meaning)
- GIB usually launches into Blackwood despite having two quick losers in the suit you obviously wanted to check for

None of these seems to be the case here, so it's very odd - the description of 3 matches its hand perfectly (or it could even cue 4, since while the description says K, that includes a singleton). So who knows what it was thinking.

#6 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-January-29, 20:01

View Postsmerriman, on 2018-January-29, 18:24, said:

- jdonn has said in the past GIB sometimes makes a false cuebid when it is strong enough to cuebid but no other bid fits
- sometimes a cuebid is described as denying something like a lower ace, despite the fact you couldn't cue it (due to that bid having a different meaning)
- GIB usually launches into Blackwood despite having two quick losers in the suit you obviously wanted to check for

None of these seems to be the case here, so it's very odd - the description of 3 matches its hand perfectly (or it could even cue 4, since while the description says K, that includes a singleton). So who knows what it was thinking.

GIBBO has also shown Q in response to keycard ask when has 6 to the AK. I don't remember but I think pd had shown 3 card support.

vrock

#7 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-29, 21:47

View Postvirgosrock, on 2018-January-29, 20:01, said:

GIBBO has also shown Q in response to keycard ask when has 6 to the AK. I don't remember but I think pd had shown 3 card support.

vrock

It's standard to "show the Q" with a known 10 card fit - have never seen GIB do it with 9, so you might just be misremembering.

#8 User is offline   kurthugo 

• Pip

Posted 2018-January-30, 02:14

View Postsmerriman, on 2018-January-29, 18:24, said:

Completely agree. A bid of 3 or 4 would fit so it's not like Gib didn't have other reasonable options available. I feel like this might be a bug since I see no reason Gib could have to false cuebid here.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users