Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pausing before a new deal

#1 User is offline   LaOyBe 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-June-08, 05:47

Is it possible to be able to review and analyze the bidding and playing of a game before a new deal takes over? When playing a private table with friends we have not been able to do that. Is there a setting that we have missed?

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-08, 06:37

No and this is my recycled answer from the same question elsewhere.

This has been a frequent request recently and I think it is fair to assume that you are in a friendly environment where everyone wants to discuss it, not a timed event like a tournament.

It is inconvenient that another hand has popped up, but you do not have to start the new hand until you are ready. Take your time and discuss away. You can see the hand you've just played in the History tab.

I don't expect BBO to put a feature in that allows you to delay the next board popping up, it would just annoy too many BBO users unnecessarily.

Although discussing a board immediately can be helpful if all the players are interested in the questions it raises, for a partnership it is often better to leave discussion until after the session. The analysis skills of most are improved by taking a break and looking at a hand with a fresh eye. Too often I see my club players want to discuss how they should bid the game that makes, without really appreciating that the three finesses and 3-2 break it required means they should not be bidding it.

You can find all the hands on myhands afterwards (Hand Records on bridgebase.com).
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   LaOyBe 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-June-09, 00:36

Many thanks for a quick and comprehensive reply. We will use the History tab until a possible pause-feature is introduced. As you imply, we play a friendly game, and combine it with a four-way merged telephone conversation on our cell phones. A great way to compensate for lack of physical meets in times of Corona.

#4 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-June-09, 00:43

View PostLaOyBe, on 2020-June-09, 00:36, said:

Many thanks for a quick and comprehensive reply. We will use the History tab until a possible pause-feature is introduced. As you imply, we play a friendly game, and combine it with a four-way merged telephone conversation on our cell phones. A great way to compensate for lack of physical meets in times of Corona.

Sounds like you are enjoying your games. I miss the days when everyone went to eat or drink afterward. Doesn't seem to happen much now. I do recommend that if possible you go over them in sequence after a while if your objective is improvement and record what you learned. When I had 3 important partnerships in New Mexico I kept a personal journal about all the good and bad things that happened in each session. (I still have those notes!)

Enjoy!!
DAVE
###

#5 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2020-June-09, 00:44

Many people play with Zoom or Skype running concurrently to give a table feel.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-June-09, 00:50

If you play at a teachimg table you can but your boards are not played by no one else.

#7 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2020-June-09, 14:08

View Postpaulg, on 2020-June-09, 00:44, said:

Many people play with Zoom or Skype running concurrently to give a table feel.

It's a useful tip and a sign of the times, but I would love that BBO could selectively offer the positive aspects of video/audio contact without the negative ones that allow the transmission of UI between partners.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-June-09, 15:44

View Postpescetom, on 2020-June-09, 14:08, said:

It's a useful tip and a sign of the times, but I would love that BBO could selectively offer the positive aspects of video/audio contact without the negative ones that allow the transmission of UI between partners.

We can't stop people from using zoom/skype, and everyone is becoming comfortable with them because of the lockdowns. I don't think that genie is going back in the bottle.

And we have lots of stuff on our plate without trying to replace such convenient applications with something more restrictive.

#9 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2020-June-10, 14:56

View Postbarmar, on 2020-June-09, 15:44, said:

We can't stop people from using zoom/skype, and everyone is becoming comfortable with them because of the lockdowns. I don't think that genie is going back in the bottle.

And we have lots of stuff on our plate without trying to replace such convenient applications with something more restrictive.

We're not looking at the same picture here.
You are thinking about social games, I am thinking about competitive bridge (including play in a physical venue where zoom/skype will be forcefully disallowed).

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-10, 16:40

View Postpescetom, on 2020-June-10, 14:56, said:

We're not looking at the same picture here.
You are thinking about social games, I am thinking about competitive bridge (including play in a physical venue where zoom/skype will be forcefully disallowed).

Serious games are not played online.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#11 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2020-June-11, 14:03

View PostVampyr, on 2020-June-10, 16:40, said:

Serious games are not played online.

I'd be curious to see if you will have the courage to repeat that (even once) in just a year's time.
The world is changing quickly.

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-11, 14:50

View Postpescetom, on 2020-June-11, 14:03, said:

I'd be curious to see if you will have the courage to repeat that (even once) in just a year's time.
The world is changing quickly.

LOL my comment did appear an unnecessary number of times.

You mention online play in a physical venue, I suppose where your partner and opponents will all be in different parts of the room. Yes this would prevent cheating, but at what cost?

I don’t think that many people find this solitary bridge-analogue very satisfying. Sitting at a table with actual people will go back to being the norm once it is safe to do so.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-June-12, 08:42

Some people think that we'll soon return to the old normal. Other people think that people are getting used to online bridge and it will be a long time, if ever, that face-to-face bridge will return to its old popularity, because of the large overlap between the bridge community and the most vulnerable to coronavirus.

As Yogi Berra said, "It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." We need to wait and see.

#14 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2020-June-12, 09:23

My attitude to the near future is closer to Bob Uecker than Yogi Berra: "The way to catch a knuckleball is to wait until it stops rolling and then pick it up."

As someone who expected to be in my suit in Penticton right now, I feel a lot like that these days.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users