• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2C out of turn Comparable Call

#41 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-January-29, 14:21

There is an implication in that document that if the comparable call (27B1{b}) is at a higher level than the lowest sufficient bid in the same denomination (27B1{a}), the former law cannot be applied. It's in this example:

eg 1NT – (3) – 2 replaced by 3 or 4; we would allow an insufficient Jacoby transfer bid to be replaced by a sufficient natural 3 bid or even a South African Texas 4 transfer bid (though only if a natural 3♠ is not available, as that would be a lower sufficient bid), since all specify spades.

I don't understand this implication. it seems to me it's saying that 27B1{b} applies only if 27B1{a} cannot apply, but I don't read it that way. Comments?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#42 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-29, 15:28

View Postblackshoe, on 2018-January-29, 14:21, said:

There is an implication in that document that if the comparable call (27B1{b}) is at a higher level than the lowest sufficient bid in the same denomination (27B1{a}), the former law cannot be applied. It's in this example:

eg 1NT – (3♥) – 2♥ replaced by 3♠ or 4♦; we would allow an insufficient Jacoby transfer bid to be replaced by a sufficient natural 3♠ bid or even a South African Texas 4♦ transfer bid (though only if a natural 3♠ is not available, as that would be a lower sufficient bid), since all specify spades.

I don't understand this implication. it seems to me it's saying that 27B1{b} applies only if 27B1{a} cannot apply, but I don't read it that way. Comments?

I think that it means in this example, if after 1NT-(3) if the pair play that 3 is natural, as do most pairs, then they cannot now bid 4 as a transfer to spades
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#43 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2018-January-29, 16:30

View Postlamford, on 2018-January-29, 15:28, said:

I think that it means in this example, if after 1NT-(3) if the pair play that 3 is natural, as do most pairs, then they cannot now bid 4 as a transfer to spades

If you mean they can't replace their insufficient 2 with 4 instead of replacing it with 3, that's how I read it. But I don't think the law says that.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#44 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-January-29, 18:48

View Postblackshoe, on 2018-January-29, 16:30, said:

If you mean they can't replace their insufficient 2 with 4 instead of replacing it with 3, that's how I read it. But I don't think the law says that.

That document covers both comparable calls after insufficient bids and comparable calls after BOOTs. I agree with you that after a BOOT, the requirement to make the lowest sufficient comparable call (to avoid silencing partner) does not apply. One can choose between any comparable calls.

#45 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2018-January-29, 19:02

I was only looking at Law 27A1. So was Gordon's paper, at least for the example I cited.
--------------------

#46 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-January-30, 05:01

View Postblackshoe, on 2018-January-29, 19:02, said:

I was only looking at Law 27A1. So was Gordon's paper, at least for the example I cited.

Therein lies the problem. You need to look at Law 27B1, which Gordon's paper quotes in full for the example you cited. Assuming that the above is a typo, I do agree that the paper seems wrong in that a comparable call does not need to be the lowest sufficient bid which specifies the same denomination. I must confess I previously had thought it did; perhaps the EBU can clarify whether the paper is wrong, or the law is wrongly worded. In the example quoted, 1NT-(3H)-2H, the interpretation of the majority of TDs is that spades is "specified" by the IB, and therefore the player can substitute either 3S or 4D, if the latter is a transfer to spades.

#47 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-30, 08:21

View Postlamford, on 2018-January-30, 05:01, said:

Therein lies the problem. You need to look at Law 27B1, which Gordon's paper quotes in full for the example you cited. Assuming that the above is a typo, I do agree that the paper seems wrong in that a comparable call does not need to be the lowest sufficient bid which specifies the same denomination. I must confess I previously had thought it did; perhaps the EBU can clarify whether the paper is wrong, or the law is wrongly worded. In the example quoted, 1NT-(3H)-2H, the interpretation of the majority of TDs is that spades is "specified" by the IB, and therefore the player can substitute either 3S or 4D, if the latter is a transfer to spades.

If they have sufficient bids of 3 and 4 available that show spades, they can only correct (without further rectification) an insufficient transfer to 3 under law 27B1(a) ("the lowest legal bid which specifies the same denomination"), but if 4 is deemed to be a comparable call that could be allowed under law 27B1(b).

#48 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2018-January-30, 20:05

View Postlamford, on 2018-January-30, 05:01, said:

Yes, a typo. 27B1.
--------------------

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users