Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid this Slam

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-January-06, 09:43

This slam was only bid at 2 of the six tables in the Camrose Trophy last night, and Farmer X and Farmer Y, who shall remain nameless, managed the above auction. How would you bid it. It is over 98% according to Bridge Analyser, needing some filthy breaks to threaten you.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-January-06, 09:59

View Postlamford, on 2018-January-06, 09:43, said:

This slam was only bid at 2 of the six tables in the Camrose Trophy last night, and Farmer X and Farmer Y, who shall remain nameless, managed the above auction. How would you bid it. It is over 98% according to Bridge Analyser, needing some filthy breaks to threaten you.

1N-2C-2S-3H*(0-1 Ss)-4D-5C*(Last Train Style)-6D

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-06, 10:15

I don't think I can bid this as is, but if W gets to open whether or not he does (I prob do, partner prob doesn't) I can.

1-2(inverted not GF)-2-3-3(4SF)-4-4(KC) would be a start that got there, but I'm not convinced our auction would go that way.

#4 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-06, 10:26

What about starting (if W is disciplined and doesn’t want to blast) with 1NT-3S (54 minors w/ singleton S) ? now E has a top top hand...
Then probably 4D-5D I’m min, 6D f*** you 😉! Or 5C-6D if you are more confident😊

#5 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-January-06, 14:32

View Postspotlight7, on 2018-January-06, 09:59, said:

1N-2C-2S-3H*(0-1 Ss)-4D-5C*(Last Train Style)-6D

Many play that 1N-2C-2S-3H and 1N-2C-2H-3S are hands too good to raise to game. I play with some that 1NT-3M is a shortage, and that works well here. I think 1NT-3H can have four spades, but play with some that 1NT-3S denies four hearts. I guess it is all about agreement.

With Vampyr I would bid 1NT-2NT-(5+diamonds) then 3H, a fragment with 1-3-5-4 (or maybe 1-2-6-4).

#6 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-06, 19:53

I use 1N-3H* as JackFit for virtually all balanced hands.

We have a combined 30+HCP and partner shows his slam suitability.

1N-3H*-3S* suggests slam is poor unless partner has extra values.

Slam with '31+HCP and no jacks' is normally a decent contract 'if'

a fit is found. The replies to 1N-3H* 'subtract jack HCP from the

HCP count to show bad, average and plus 1 slam type values.

1N and a transfer to clubs followed up by 3S*

(shows 5+Cs and 4Ds)with an unbalanced hand.

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2018-January-07, 03:11

Playing 5542 and 14-16 NT

1---3(splinter) makes it very easy to bid slam. This does not mean I am against opening this hand 1 NT but it is kinda too strong for 1 NT in 14-16 context. Responder splintering with 10 hcp may look a little too stretched but here comes the hand evaluation. To me W hand improves A LOT if East opens 1 showing 4+....2 aces + all values in the long 2 suits + singleton worth more than the bean count indicates imho.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-07, 03:37

I use the 3!S bid to show 5/4 minors, and 4D shows a hand that has interest and 5!C would be very nice to hear. The NT opening should see the hand has huge potential facing 4 card support in D. Its his unlucky day when pard has 5D and only 4C.

#9 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-07, 13:29

My favorite Precision method nails it:

1 - 1 -1NT - 2 - 2 -3,

where 1 is positive balanced, three suited, or major-minor canape, 2 and 2 are natural five+ card suits, and 3 is a splinter in support of diamonds, the opener can use RKCB.

#10 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-January-07, 14:08

View Postmikestar13, on 2018-January-07, 13:29, said:

My favorite Precision method nails it:

1 - 1 -1NT - 2 - 2 -3,

where 1 is positive balanced, three suited, or major-minor canape, 2 and 2 are natural five+ card suits, and 3 is a splinter in support of diamonds, the opener can use RKCB.

I play Precision once a month and we would bid 1C-2D(FG with 5 clubs)-3D(natural)-3S(cue)-4C(cue)-4D(better than 5D)-6D. Always easier though looking at both hands. I agree with MrAce that the East hand is too good for 1NT and the West hand is worth a splinter over 1D.

#11 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-January-07, 15:31

Playing Strong NTs, I'm not sure that I'd be able to bid this slam. I don't think you can unless you have specific tools to uncover this particular type of responder's hand.

After 1 NT-2 - 2 , I'd be likely to just bid 3 NT knowing that we have only 27 HCPs at most.

#12 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-09, 10:10

I will hazard a guess and say that the vast majority of partnerships would have no trouble showing this stiff spade if they had 1 long minor probably via something like 1n 2s (transfer to clubs) 3c 3s or something similar. I have long felt pinpointing such problem hands with 2 minor suits (even as few as 9 cards) and otherwise GF hands needs equal attention. I think 1n 3h/s solves this conundrum and has much more utility than most of the other alternatives. After 1n 3s the opening bidder's hand becomes a HULK. It is difficult to imagine many responder hands where 6 diamonds has no play and even 7d should be in the discussion if responder has as little as a Q of extra values.

As opener I would just take charge and bid 4n (regular blackwood since the trump suit has not been set). Responder will realize such bidding by opener is only possible with a huge trump fit (or huge double fit) and gladly respond 5h which is music to opener. The 5s bid asking for anything extra to consider 7 (5n would be pick your minor we have a double fit). Unfortunately responder has nothing else of interest (if those 2 stinking jacks had been the heart K (a 5n bid to show something extra but that cant be shown w/o passing 6m) or club Q I would be bidding 7) and quietly subsides in 6c. This POC bid has to be made since we do not know which suit opener has in case they fit only 1 minor.

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2018-January-09, 13:02

As George mentioned, if E opens 1 NT W has better bids than just 3 NT. After all 3 NT may not be our best spot.
I play GIB cc with most non regular partners.

1 NT--2 (minor suit stayman, there is no weak option, it shows 11+ hcp)
3(4+ )--3 (shortness)

Now no one can stop E before slam.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   all loomis 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-January-23, 18:06

even at pairs, this is not a 1nt. after 1d, you can get there, i hope.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users