• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you agree with 4NT?

#21 User is offline   0deary 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-January-19, 08:15

BBO is trialling quantum computers and like ksk2005 posting with 14 cards in South I relied on the unusual number of hearts for dummy! :) The point is North didn’t squeak over the 2C so looking for 5m tick looks very unlikely

If Janis asked about norths bidding I missed it: sorry. And yes, I’d vote x on that

My very quirky pass and not 2C? My point is what are you hoping to get after 2C? Likely west has H and can bid 3 or 4 and likely North will pass. You’ll have to make a decision now anyway. I’d have to rely on a now possibly pressured west’s bid now. And if it’s passed to North for a x or just a 1S bid Ive got a lot more to base on now...and I’d be surprised if it was passed out but even if it does....anyway only my little view.....x

#22 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-January-19, 16:26

2C is the normal call. What else can you do?

As others have pointed out, North might consider a responsive double over 4H. I think the hand is just barely good enough for that call over the 4H preempt, but others might disagree.

4NT seems normal enough. Both sides have 9+ fits, and likely at least one side has a 10-fit. You have all of your strength in your long suits, and you have only 3 short-suit losers. If you are beating 4H, there is an excellent chance you can make 5 of a minor, and if you are not beating 4H, you almost certainly have at least a good sacrifice.

You are not likely ever to find 6D even if North makes a responsive double. It's not even that great a contract, b/c in addition to having to find the Qc, you will always go down if clubs are 4/0.

Cheers,
Mike

#23 User is offline   pons_ 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-January-19, 16:29

View PostJanisW, on 2018-January-18, 10:04, said:

Do you aree with 4NT (feel free to comment on 2, too) and how does N know to bid 6?

Regards
JW

I like 4NT and don't worry about missing 6. Let them make the next guess in this cramped auction. Although reasonable I would not have Xed the 4 bid with the North hand. Certainly X is not 100% penalty on this auction but at this level is it co-operative Take-Out or co-operative Penalty? The 2C bid is automatic IMO.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users