BBO Discussion Forums: Email confirmation for account message - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Email confirmation for account message

#1 User is offline   adamw 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-January-16, 15:14

Today I received an email message allegedly from bridgebase.com with the subject: "Email confirmation for account adamw". Is it legitimate? It provides two links to click, one wrapped in an HREF.

I have two reasons for concern:

1. The two links provided are different.

2. I provided BBO with my email address many years ago. Why have a received a message now, and with so far as I can tell no heads-up on the Forums?

What's the story?

#2 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-January-16, 21:19

It was legitimate. We'll look into why the two links were different ( pretty sure it has something to do with our mail delivery site, sendgrid, editing the link, but we'll find out ).

We're about to launch a drive to gather & confirm email addresses for active users. We should've pre-announced ( we would have, before running the programs against the full set of players, but we should have done it before even that ). We'll rectify that, and touch up the emails, before continuing.

Tx - Uday

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-January-16, 23:42

View Postuday, on 2018-January-16, 21:19, said:

It was legitimate. We'll look into why the two links were different ( pretty sure it has something to do with our mail delivery site, sendgrid, editing the link, but we'll find out ).

We're about to launch a drive to gather & confirm email addresses for active users. We should've pre-announced ( we would have, before running the programs against the full set of players, but we should have done it before even that ). We'll rectify that, and touch up the emails, before continuing.

Tx - Uday

Might I suggest that you do so when users log into the site rather than an email blast...
People are exposed to a lot of messaging that they should ignore emails that ask them to "click through" to some web site.

Had I received the same email as Adam I would have ignored it out of hand without investing much time in verifying that the links were legitimate...
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   adamw 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-January-17, 05:34

Thanks, Uday!

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-January-17, 11:13

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-January-16, 23:42, said:

Might I suggest that you do so when users log into the site rather than an email blast...
People are exposed to a lot of messaging that they should ignore emails that ask them to "click through" to some web site.

Had I received the same email as Adam I would have ignored it out of hand without investing much time in verifying that the links were legitimate...

We send a popup at login time to users we don't already have an email for. But if we already have an email (mainly users who have purchased BB$, which requires you to enter an email for receipts), we thought that making them go through the popup that requests their email again would be redundant, so we're just sending the spontaneous confirmation emails.

But the surprise factor is indeed an issue, so we're going to put up a news article letting people know this is coming. We only sent this initial blast to a small number of users as a shakeout.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-January-17, 21:52

We've decided to take Richard's advice. When we do this on a larger scale, users who have emails we've collected in the past will receive the popup when they login, with the email pre-filled as a default. Then they'll get the confirmation email after submitting the form.

#7 User is offline   pyknic 

• Pip

Posted 2018-January-26, 05:16

2 weeks ago I sent to "abuse" a list of about 50 (known) logins used by the same aggressive and cheater BBOer.
This guy registers a new login when the previous one is blacklisted by a tourney director .
I hope your email confirmation campain limits the quantity of logins used by the same player ....
I fully aggree your afforts. Many thancks !

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-January-26, 09:29

View Postpyknic, on 2018-January-26, 05:16, said:

2 weeks ago I sent to "abuse" a list of about 50 (known) logins used by the same aggressive and cheater BBOer.
This guy registers a new login when the previous one is blacklisted by a tourney director .
I hope your email confirmation campain limits the quantity of logins used by the same player ....
I fully aggree your afforts. Many thancks !

No, we're not currently doing anything to limit multiple accounts.

It's simple to make throwaway email addresses, so a limit of one account per email would be easy to get around.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users