BBO Discussion Forums: Which Approach - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which Approach 2722 5 Count

Poll: Which Approach (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Approach?

1. Bid 4H (4 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. Transfer and Bid 4H Regardless (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Transfer and Bid 4H over Superaccept, otherwise Invite (4 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

4. Transfer and Bid 4H over Superaccept, otherwise pass (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

5. Transfer and Invite regardless (3 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

6. Transfer and Invite over Superaccept, otherwise pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Transfer and pass regardless (1 votes [5.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

8. A different approach (1 votes [5.56%] - View)

9. Abstain (1 votes [5.56%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2018-January-08, 17:53

MP Love all

1N = 15-17

No texas

"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2018-January-08, 18:31

No Texas, ok no problem and we'll play 4 from my side which I will bid directly.

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-08, 19:34

We play super accepts with 3 or 4 hearts and are very aggressive about using them, control rich 15's with a 5-card side suit is often enough. So transfer and super accept or forget it for me and yes, we miss a few games. Combined with our (probably) over aggressive acceptance of invites it's safer for us but only a break evenish approach.

Red at imps or with a different partner I would transfer and invite, not blast game.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-January-08, 22:07

You have 2 losers in all side sides. Partner is going to have to have very specific cards to make 4.
At MP I don't think inviting is worth it. Even opposite a super-accept you might have no play.
Give me a singleton or void and I will make a move at MP. MPs doesn't reward bidding pushy games.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-08, 22:47

I don't think this is solvable intelligently. Pd can have

AKx
KQJx
Qxx
Qxx

a 17 hcp and no game, or can have

Ax
KQJxx
Axx
Kxx

another 17 which looks like 19 and 5 card support, all prime cards and game depends pretty much who has the A (or add J and you will have to guess, if there is a guess)

Axx
xxx
AKQx
xxx

a flat 13 and only 3 card support where 4 has much more chance than any of the above

Axxx
Kxx
Ax
xxxxx

another flat 11 hcp ( even if you open a 10-12 hcp NT) 3 NT looks almost cold.

at MP I probably would bail out if no super accept.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-08, 23:00

This topic actually gave me an idea about super accept.

When one holds a long suit such as we have in this topic, a 6 carder or longer, it is important for us to know what kind of 4 card super accept pd has.
For example Axxxxx vs xxxx is much more desirable than Axxxxx vs KQJx. OR Kxxxxx vs AQJ is less desirabe than vs Axx

So maybe we should play super accepts like this:

1 NT----2
2NT= super accept with 4 and not more than 1 honor in the 4 card support
3= same with congested values in the support (or vice versa)
2 or 3m = super accept with 3 cards all showing different holdings. You can even create a relay over 2 for further investigation if responder has a big hand. (I admit I am not a big fan of super accepts with 3 card)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-09, 03:26

IMO, not playing Texas is a mistake playing strong NT's. There's a several percent advantage to having the strong NT hand as declarer, and playing Texas lets you set trump for RKC, and use 4NT as quantitative after Jacoby.

That said, I wouldn't bid 4 natural or 4 Texas because game isn't 50%+

I would transfer to 2 and raise to 3. I'm a little worried about the opponents bidding spades but they are less likely to balance at the 3 level than the 2 level if I just transfer and pass.

#8 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-09, 03:55

View Postjohnu, on 2018-January-09, 03:26, said:

IMO, not playing Texas is a mistake playing strong NT's. There's a several percent advantage to having the strong NT hand as declarer, and playing Texas lets you set trump for RKC, and use 4NT as quantitative after Jacoby.

That said, I wouldn't bid 4 natural or 4 Texas because game isn't 50%+

I would transfer to 2 and raise to 3. I'm a little worried about the opponents bidding spades but they are less likely to balance at the 3 level than the 2 level if I just transfer and pass.

The question is less about whether game is odd-on to make and more about preventing the opponents from having an exchange of information. They could easily have game on or a part-score worth more than our deficit. They might even pull our non-making 4H to a non-making contract of their own. Remember the "theory" of always bidding 4S over 4H?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#9 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-09, 07:50

I chose other since I am a strong advocate of texas transfers and would easily bid 4d with this hand. There is no guarantee we will make game but taking up all the bidding space will make it very hard for the opps to compete. Since our side has at least 9 hearts that means the opps have at least 1 8+ card suit of their own and the power of the deck is evenly split. 4h does not have to make to be successful, all it has to do is go down less than whatever the opps can make. When p opened 1n they showed 15-17 and at least 2 hearts so they have all of the qualifications needed to try for game opposite a "weak two" heart if we had been the first to bid. Wellll we just happen to hold a 7th heart which makes up for our lack of extra HCP so we should view our hand as a maximum weak 2 bid and bid game.

#10 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-09, 10:21

Raise to 3NT and let partner declare :D

The deal instantly reminded me of this (click) although upon a further examination the only thing common between the two deals is MPs, all white, partner deals & opens!

#11 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-09, 10:26

Normal choice: I'd transfer, then go to game over a super-accept and invite game over a normal-accept.

Edit: BTW, I found it hard to understand the difference between choices 3 and 5; or choices 4 and 6.

#12 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-January-10, 16:32

View Posteagles123, on 2018-January-08, 17:53, said:

MP Love all
1N = 15-17
No texas

I rank
  • 4 = TFR. (Sadly unavailable).
  • 3N = NAT. (Shyam's suggestion). Less scope for interference.
  • 2 = TFR. Suggests a lead against opponent's contract.

#13 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-11, 02:59

View Postgordontd, on 2018-January-09, 03:55, said:

The question is less about whether game is odd-on to make and more about preventing the opponents from having an exchange of information. They could easily have game on or a part-score worth more than our deficit. They might even pull our non-making 4H to a non-making contract of their own. Remember the "theory" of always bidding 4S over 4H?

I did say that I considered competitive bidding. That being said, you have already gotten past RHO who has already passed 1NT, and LHO doesn't know that you aren't semi balanced and are preparing to bid 3NT after the transfer so that could keep them out of the 1st round of bidding. They also may not have a suitable hand to come into the auction. When you raise to 3, they still may not come into the auction since you normally would have a more balanced hand with more HCP.

No guarantees but your side has at least half the high card points and a good chance of having more than half.

#14 User is offline   maartenxq 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-January-12, 07:07

I think you should bid game over superaccept and invite otherwise. The invite is also defensive, because you definitely do not like to hear a reopening dbl and opponents getting to some number of spades.

Maarten Baltussen

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users