Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid this Slam

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-January-06, 09:43

This slam was only bid at 2 of the six tables in the Camrose Trophy last night, and Farmer X and Farmer Y, who shall remain nameless, managed the above auction. How would you bid it. It is over 98% according to Bridge Analyser, needing some filthy breaks to threaten you.
'When I write a Law,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean neither more nor less.'

#2 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-January-06, 09:59

View Postlamford, on 2018-January-06, 09:43, said:

This slam was only bid at 2 of the six tables in the Camrose Trophy last night, and Farmer X and Farmer Y, who shall remain nameless, managed the above auction. How would you bid it. It is over 98% according to Bridge Analyser, needing some filthy breaks to threaten you.

1N-2C-2S-3H*(0-1 Ss)-4D-5C*(Last Train Style)-6D

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-06, 10:15

I don't think I can bid this as is, but if W gets to open whether or not he does (I prob do, partner prob doesn't) I can.

1-2(inverted not GF)-2-3-3(4SF)-4-4(KC) would be a start that got there, but I'm not convinced our auction would go that way.

#4 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-06, 10:26

What about starting (if W is disciplined and doesnt want to blast) with 1NT-3S (54 minors w/ singleton S) ? now E has a top top hand...
Then probably 4D-5D Im min, 6D f*** you 😉! Or 5C-6D if you are more confident😊

#5 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-January-06, 14:32

View Postspotlight7, on 2018-January-06, 09:59, said:

1N-2C-2S-3H*(0-1 Ss)-4D-5C*(Last Train Style)-6D

Many play that 1N-2C-2S-3H and 1N-2C-2H-3S are hands too good to raise to game. I play with some that 1NT-3M is a shortage, and that works well here. I think 1NT-3H can have four spades, but play with some that 1NT-3S denies four hearts. I guess it is all about agreement.

With Vampyr I would bid 1NT-2NT-(5+diamonds) then 3H, a fragment with 1-3-5-4 (or maybe 1-2-6-4).
'When I write a Law,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean neither more nor less.'

#6 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-06, 19:53

I use 1N-3H* as JackFit for virtually all balanced hands.

We have a combined 30+HCP and partner shows his slam suitability.

1N-3H*-3S* suggests slam is poor unless partner has extra values.

Slam with '31+HCP and no jacks' is normally a decent contract 'if'

a fit is found. The replies to 1N-3H* 'subtract jack HCP from the

HCP count to show bad, average and plus 1 slam type values.

1N and a transfer to clubs followed up by 3S*

(shows 5+Cs and 4Ds)with an unbalanced hand.

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2018-January-07, 03:11

Playing 5542 and 14-16 NT

1---3(splinter) makes it very easy to bid slam. This does not mean I am against opening this hand 1 NT but it is kinda too strong for 1 NT in 14-16 context. Responder splintering with 10 hcp may look a little too stretched but here comes the hand evaluation. To me W hand improves A LOT if East opens 1 showing 4+....2 aces + all values in the long 2 suits + singleton worth more than the bean count indicates imho.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

#8 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-07, 03:37

I use the 3!S bid to show 5/4 minors, and 4D shows a hand that has interest and 5!C would be very nice to hear. The NT opening should see the hand has huge potential facing 4 card support in D. Its his unlucky day when pard has 5D and only 4C.

#9 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-07, 13:29

My favorite Precision method nails it:

1 - 1 -1NT - 2 - 2 -3,

where 1 is positive balanced, three suited, or major-minor canape, 2 and 2 are natural five+ card suits, and 3 is a splinter in support of diamonds, the opener can use RKCB.

#10 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2018-January-07, 14:08

mikestar13, on 2018-January-07, 13:29, said:

My favorite Precision method nails it:

1 - 1 -1NT - 2 - 2 -3,

where 1 is positive balanced, three suited, or major-minor canape, 2 and 2 are natural five+ card suits, and 3 is a splinter in support of diamonds, the opener can use RKCB.

I play Precision once a month and we would bid 1C-2D(FG with 5 clubs)-3D(natural)-3S(cue)-4C(cue)-4D(better than 5D)-6D. Always easier though looking at both hands. I agree with MrAce that the East hand is too good for 1NT and the West hand is worth a splinter over 1D.

#11 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-January-07, 15:31

Playing Strong NTs, I'm not sure that I'd be able to bid this slam. I don't think you can unless you have specific tools to uncover this particular type of responder's hand.

After 1 NT-2 - 2 , I'd be likely to just bid 3 NT knowing that we have only 27 HCPs at most.

#12 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-09, 10:10

I will hazard a guess and say that the vast majority of partnerships would have no trouble showing this stiff spade if they had 1 long minor probably via something like 1n 2s (transfer to clubs) 3c 3s or something similar. I have long felt pinpointing such problem hands with 2 minor suits (even as few as 9 cards) and otherwise GF hands needs equal attention. I think 1n 3h/s solves this conundrum and has much more utility than most of the other alternatives. After 1n 3s the opening bidder's hand becomes a HULK. It is difficult to imagine many responder hands where 6 diamonds has no play and even 7d should be in the discussion if responder has as little as a Q of extra values.

As opener I would just take charge and bid 4n (regular blackwood since the trump suit has not been set). Responder will realize such bidding by opener is only possible with a huge trump fit (or huge double fit) and gladly respond 5h which is music to opener. The 5s bid asking for anything extra to consider 7 (5n would be pick your minor we have a double fit). Unfortunately responder has nothing else of interest (if those 2 stinking jacks had been the heart K (a 5n bid to show something extra but that cant be shown w/o passing 6m) or club Q I would be bidding 7) and quietly subsides in 6c. This POC bid has to be made since we do not know which suit opener has in case they fit only 1 minor.

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2018-January-09, 13:02

As George mentioned, if E opens 1 NT W has better bids than just 3 NT. After all 3 NT may not be our best spot.
I play GIB cc with most non regular partners.

1 NT--2 (minor suit stayman, there is no weak option, it shows 11+ hcp)
3(4+ )--3 (shortness)

Now no one can stop E before slam.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

#14 User is offline   all loomis 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-January-23, 18:06

even at pairs, this is not a 1nt. after 1d, you can get there, i hope.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users