BBO Discussion Forums: free tournaments - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

free tournaments system 2/1

#1 User is offline   croquetfan 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 39
  • Joined: 2010-October-29

Posted 2018-January-05, 00:15

The 6 board free tournaments are fun but are rather spoilt by the failure of so many players to read the simple instructions.
It clearly states the all players agree to play 2/1 but it seems most participants don't know the system.
I don't know how to fix this as no discussion is allowed. I have been sent a message by an enraged partner who bid a new suit at the 2 level with about 7 points and was obviously upset to find himself playing an impossible game.
Any suggestions?
0

#2 User is online   pescetom 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 53
  • Joined: 2014-February-18

Posted 2018-January-05, 08:13

View Postcroquetfan, on 2018-January-05, 00:15, said:

The 6 board free tournaments are fun but are rather spoilt by the failure of so many players to read the simple instructions.
It clearly states the all players agree to play 2/1 but it seems most participants don't know the system.
...
Any suggestions?


Couldn't agree more. Two suggestions:
1. a weekly 2/1 bidding quiz, cannot enter free tournaments until you pass it (say score 100%, or 80% average over three attempts)
2. automatic ranking for tournament entry based not just on Completion Ratio (as at present) but also on analysis of tournament results and/or partner assessment of bidding (vote 0-3).
"Free TR80 Tournament: your Tournament Ranking of 73 (TCR=84, Assessment=62) is insufficient for this type of tournament"
0

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,160
  • Joined: 2010-April-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hamilton, Canada
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-January-05, 08:47

pipedream bbo isn't going to analyze your 8 board free tournament when it wont do a rating system for it's members.
Sarcasm is a state of mind
0

#4 User is offline   barmar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 16,790
  • Joined: 2004-August-21
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2018-January-05, 09:46

Individuals are crapshoots. Players bid and play however they want, there's nothing you can do about it.

If we were to put too many restrictions on it, players just wouldn't enter them.

#5 User is offline   maartenxq 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 53
  • Joined: 2013-January-21

Posted 2018-January-06, 03:49

If you participate in this kind of tournaments you must realize you are on your own. About 50% of the players do not know any system and their declarer play and defence are on the same level. It is a free for all and fun only thing. Find yourself a serious partner for serious bridge.

Marten Baltussen
2

#6 User is offline   Joe_Old 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 97
  • Joined: 2016-December-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey, USA

Posted 2018-January-06, 08:20

View Postmaartenxq, on 2018-January-06, 03:49, said:

If you participate in this kind of tournaments you must realize you are on your own. About 50% of the players do not know any system and their declarer play and defence are on the same level. It is a free for all and fun only thing. Find yourself a serious partner for serious bridge.

Marten Baltussen


Dead on, except the percentage, at times, approaches 90.

I recommend the tournaments to new players who want to get used to playing on BBO, or just playing duplicate. Looking at the explanations that pop up in the bidding box is a big help for them, too. Since there's no chat, there's less pressure.

For the rest, it's a good way to waste 30 minutes, just don't take it seriously.
0

#7 User is offline   johnu 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,615
  • Joined: 2008-September-10

Posted 2018-January-06, 13:48

View Postpescetom, on 2018-January-05, 08:13, said:

Couldn't agree more. Two suggestions:
1. a weekly 2/1 bidding quiz, cannot enter free tournaments until you pass it (say score 100%, or 80% average over three attempts)
2. automatic ranking for tournament entry based not just on Completion Ratio (as at present) but also on analysis of tournament results and/or partner assessment of bidding (vote 0-3).
"Free TR80 Tournament: your Tournament Ranking of 73 (TCR=84, Assessment=62) is insufficient for this type of tournament"


I like suggestion #1. It shouldn't be too hard for BBO to set up a quiz like that, which would also serve as a learning tool.
0

#8 User is offline   nekthen 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 234
  • Joined: 2008-September-21

Posted 2018-January-07, 09:13

It's been a while since I played in these (I hate 2/1) from memory I played SAYC and no one was surprised
Perhaps BBO could implement the CC for these tournies so we know what bids should mean
0

#9 User is offline   Stefan_O 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 436
  • Joined: 2016-April-01

Posted 2018-January-07, 13:57

View Postcroquetfan, on 2018-January-05, 00:15, said:

The 6 board free tournaments are fun but are rather spoilt by the failure of so many players to read the simple instructions.
It clearly states the all players agree to play 2/1 but it seems most participants don't know the system.
I don't know how to fix this as no discussion is allowed. I have been sent a message by an enraged partner who bid a new suit at the 2 level with about 7 points and was obviously upset to find himself playing an impossible game.
Any suggestions?


Totally agree, very frustrating.

Unless I play with regular pd, I much rather play robot-tourneys or robot-games.

Not perfect of course, but much less strain on your blood-pressure than playing with random humans.

So my suggestion: play robot-games instead :)
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users