Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fruitful Overcall

#1 User is offline   henriqued 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-January-06, 03:53

Yesterday, during a friendly tourney, I was sitting in N and got the following Hand:
- AKJ106 KQ108 QJ108 and opened 2 strong, indiscriminate (Could be 2 strong NT or 2 strong in a suit).
East, on my left overcalled with 4;
South (my partner) doubled and West passed.
After a long consideration, I decided to pass...
Lead was from South: 6 of .
This was, of course, a disastrous, catastrophic result of 4x + 1 for us!!!
Now, after such an unfortunate event, I would like to ask the members of this forum:
1. Who made the biggest mistake?...
2. Which are the main faults in this bidding?...
3. What would be a more acceptable bidding in this case?
Thank you all who will provide some answers to this topic!

#2 User is offline   henriqued 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-January-06, 03:58

Sorry, I forgot to add the remaining Hands:
East: AKQ109752; 53; J; K3;
South: 864; Q84; A97653; 6;
West: J3; 972; 42; A97653
Hope you may help...

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-January-06, 04:17

1-Opening this hand 2
2-Opening this hand 2
3-Not opening 2 with this hand.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-06, 04:25

Yup, this has every red flag imaginable for opening 2, not strong enough, obvious issues if they preempt in spades, 3 suited so difficult to get all suits in play.

1-(4)-P-P-X-P- and now partner will at least put you in 5 of a red suit.

I don't like partner's X of 4 being for penalties and I don't know if that's what he intended it as.

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-06, 07:53

I agree with the discussion by others that this hand is nowhere near strong enough for a 2c bid. That having been said -- most play a double by responder (after a 2c opening and an overcall) shows a hand with little/no power. If that is your partnership agreement, How can it be reasonable to leave 4sx as a final contract. How do you expect your side to collect anything close to the 4 tricks needed to set them? As a minimum you should expect them to score 7 spades the dia A and the club AK. Once it seems clear 4sx appears to be a non winning move what would be the best way to proceed? IMHO i think you should try 4n representing 2 places to play (cannot possibly be to play else you would almost always have an easy pass of 4sx) (do you see why opening 2c with such a weak hand is a poor idea?). Hopefully the combination of a preemptive 4s bid promising little/no defense and finding a fit anywhere will keep the doubles away. With your hand I would hesitate to x even 5s if the opps bid further.

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-06, 09:09

View Postgszes, on 2018-January-06, 07:53, said:

most play a double by responder (after a 2c opening and an overcall) shows a hand with little/no power.

I actually play it the other way, that pass shows a hand like a 2 waiting bid (doesn't promise much, just enough for game) and double shows a bust.

We also play that a 2 opener shows a strong hand, not this thing. Please don't anyone tell me there is a danger of 1 getting passed out.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-06, 10:27

View Postggwhiz, on 2018-January-06, 09:09, said:

I actually play it the other way, that pass shows a hand like a 2 waiting bid (doesn't promise much, just enough for game) and double shows a bust.

I think many people do, we certainly do.

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-January-06, 12:00

North's 2 is an exaggeration but South's double seems reasonable. Perhaps, North could rebid 4N unless partner would regard that as natural.
IMO, North-South were just unlucky

#9 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-06, 13:40

Double is reasonable facing a real 2C opener but this isn't one. After 1H-(4S)-p-(p) North doubles and South bids 5D - it's close to 6D but there's just no room to find out.

Perhaps after the 2C opening N should pull the double to 4N (2 places to play), to emphasise the fact his opening was based on shape rather than raw power. South might well bid 6D now.

ahydra

#10 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-January-07, 04:10

tell the truth. youre BBO online profile say 'advanced' but only amateur or old lady open 2 with this hand. opening 2 you are not telling truth to partner. mrace so right.

#11 User is offline   dtlq1 

• Pip

Posted 2018-January-07, 05:12

Let us start , opening 2 is a gamble and not a particular good since IMO you lack an additional ace to do so. From there South is not to blame.I probably would have bid 5 but very depending on vulnerability and scoring.
Afterwards you should not let 4x play out since you are nowhere near the expected from a 2 defense values. So it would have been much better to bid 4NT as 2 places to play and let p decide. No guarantee here ops will not simply bid 5 but this is another story. If 4NT would be perceived natural (which it should not) I think 5 is the next step in the gamble.
Having said this a 1 standard opening would probably bid out the same after 4 interference and all depend on your tools and agreements to deal with high level overcalls.

#12 User is offline   0deary 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-07, 08:51

Lovely hand, thank you for showing it

I agree with most of previous and might just add some of my reasoning a little more explicit: and suggest some thoughts on a different auction:

In my village 2C is powerful: both ~ half the pack or pretty close, and certainly no more than 3 losers: that means it’s 1H for me

East’s call now? First thought of course is bang 4S. But, but! When I am Queen of my Realm I know I have the last word (holding the S). And critically: my partner has not had a chance to speak yet. If I bang 4S partner will probably pass and when now if N bids 5H? What now? No, for me a nice quiet 1S for me and see what happens. (If it’s passed out I’m not able to make 4S anyway so why offer an easy plus to opponents?)

Looking at all the hands now I’m expecting 2H from S, pass by West and now time for North to think more

It’s gone 1H-1S-2H-P-?

I like 3!S now very much. Partner: if only you can show some control in C I can now visualise 6H. So 3S for me as North

Back to East. My machinations haven't working out too well. With spade shortage I’m really worried they can make 6H. Probably primary fit in H but the often second suit fit, slightly likely they have a secondary D fit now. I don’t regret by 1S but it might look a bit too tame now and I’ve opened a door for them. What to do now? Well stand up: bang the 4S now. I might be slightly down but I smell a good result if they can jut double...

South might offer 5C with a void and an Ace, but second round control is very hard now. My golden rule on Souths hand is on Tuesdays I bid 5C. And on Wednesdays I pass

No south could X without at least a trump trick: agreeing that helps partner to assess things now. There are other variants at such an awkwardly high level. A 4N?

I think the hard one is 1H 1S 2H P 3S 4S P P to North. Mum says leave the 5 level to the others, but heck, she is out just now and she might not complain on such extreme playability and such potentially low defensive power. 5H and hope. And 6H if our team is well behind and we need a cracker result

X

Bon voyage!

#13 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2018-January-07, 09:26

The North hand in no way qualifies for a 2 opener. I would open a simple 1 to get the
ball rolling. If West's 4 were passed round to me,I would double for takeout thus focusing on the
minors. South should now bid 5 making 12 tricks. It's frustrating to be gazumped out of a slam like this
but it's part and parcel of the game. The opponents are there to obstruct you.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#14 User is offline   CodeByJim 

• Pip

Posted 2018-January-07, 12:54

1, 4, 5, Pass, 5, Pass, South can pass 5 or bid 6 or 6.

Opening indicates 13+HCP and a weak suit. She is looking for a major.

East's 4 bid also shows 13+HCP with 8 card suit.

South knows West has a maximum of 8 HCP. Also knows that North is short and doesn't have a biddable suit.
Therefor, North has a biddable suit. Hands fit! Contract will depend on length, not points.
With a 6 card suit, she knows they have 10 and at least a strong 7 card suit with the ability
to cross ruff the black suits.

She proposes a 5 contract hoping that North can correct by showing a good suit at the 5 level.
If North corrects, South proposes a contract that will make at either level.

If East leads the A, N/S make 7.

Code

#15 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-07, 14:06

delete

#16 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-07, 14:16

The only system that I can think of where the north hand is a 1D opening is the Blue Club. But it doesn’t show clubs and it would in any case be a 1C opening.

As others have said, north is nowhere near a 2C opening. Similarly I don’t like the double which traditionally shows either a bust or some trumps. Either way it warns the 2C opener not to bid on unless he can make the contract on his own. With values, particularly an ace, you pass, forcing, and allow opener to show his suit.

You will do well to reach slam after the 4S overcall, which looks clear to me, but after 1H - 4S -P - P - X you should reach 5D or 5H.

#17 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-January-07, 14:20

I don't think opener's hand is a 2 opener either. And I'm normally a pretty aggressive 2 bidder with 4 loser Major oriented hands. But this hand could play in any of three suits and the values are as soft as you can get. So my choice would be 1 . You still only have 16 HCP and should have ample ways to show the hand over any response.

Unless you have an understanding that the double of 4 is strictly penalty, I think opener has to bid on. My choice is also 4 NT seemingly indicating two places to play. Whatever responder bids I sit for because it is very likely at least an 8 card fit. I suppose it could get gory if partner shows with 5 or a hand that is exactly 4=3=3=3, but preempts work sometimes.

I'm also not so sure that using pass/double as indicators of values/bust or vice versa is worthwhile when you get to the lofty level of Major suit game or above. Certainly I'd like to hear the thoughts of other forum members on this.

Currently, my partnerships use double as value showing, pass as a bust. But from some of the forum discussion here am considering flipping that around with my top partner.

#18 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2018-January-07, 14:28

This topic could've been closed after Timo's reply, 2c was a terrible bid that got what it deserved not much else to say
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#19 User is offline   SelfGovern 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge (huh?), Toastmasters, Data Storage, photography

Posted 2018-January-08, 10:56

View PostCodeByJim, on 2018-January-07, 12:54, said:

1, 4, 5, Pass, 5, Pass, South can pass 5 or bid 6 or 6.

Opening indicates 13+HCP and a weak suit. She is looking for a major.

[deleted]

Ah, right. I don't know what this bidding system is called, but it looks like it was custom made for this hand, and it's going to make bidding a lot of other, more common hands much more difficult.

Not to mention, for it to work, your partner has to be playing the same system. So at least when you put a non-standard auction like this out there, say something like, "I play the xxx system, where the auction would go like ..." so that someone who likes it can look it up and attempt to learn it.

But, as it's put forth here, no. In no standard system will partner ever expect you to have more hearts than diamonds when you open 1.
Liberty breeds responsibility

#20 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-January-08, 13:48

The 2C opening bid on this hand is wrong in any Standard natural system.Perhaps this hand is opened 2H in ACOL system.Acolytes May possibly easily reach the 6D contract.( However this does not mean that one switches to ACOL)
The normal opening shall be 1H.However unless previously discussed it is difficult to bid or pass over 4Sx.If discussed then pass or 4NT will be bid as per that agreement.(4NT will be choose a minor if short in hearts and having a 4 + card minor),

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users