BBO Discussion Forums: Cue bids when it promsise lower suit control and when denise - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cue bids when it promsise lower suit control and when denise Bidding

#1 User is offline   zdedo 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-December-28, 08:30

Want to know when the cue bidding promises the lower suit control and when it denise that?
Thank you in advance

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-December-28, 09:11

The rule I use is that if partner has already denied control in the suit, then me cueing it promises, otherwise it denies. I DON'T play first round before second, this may be different if you do.

eg 1-3-4- now to bid 4 would show a club control as partner has denied one.

but 1-3-4-4 would deny a diamond control.

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-28, 09:30

CUEBIDDING is begun when one or both partners seeks slam and NEITHER one has sufficient information to make a decision as to how to proceed. CUE bidding continues ONLY until either partner has enough information to place the contract or take over the bidding. The first cue bid is the lowest possible suit that meets the partnership requirements for cue bidding. Any suit that is bypassed means the cue bidder does not have the minimum requirement to cue bid that suit(s). Further cue bids must promise at least the minimum requirement for all bypassed suits and either show another cue bid OR (if only 1 bypassed suit is left) ask for a cue in that suit. After a start of 1c 3n 4c let's assume 4c* is slamming with a long strong club suit and asks for cue bidding. This sets the stage for the following sequences please do not be upset with the lack of hands since they are not important to the thought process or the meaning of the bids:
1c 3n 4c*
4h cue bid that denies the minimum requirements for a diamond cue bid
4s has the minimum requirements for a diamond cue bid and is now asking for a spade cue bid (note that this is possible because spades is the ONLY suit left that has not been cue bid so far either directly or inferred).

1c 3n 4c*
4d diamond cue bid
4s spade cue bid and denies minimum requirement for a heart cue bid. Any further bidding (aside from a 5c sign off) cannot have more than 1 loser off the top in the red suits.

1c 3n 4c*
4s spade cue bid and does not have minimum cue bidding requirements in either red suit. Further bidding (aside from a 5c sign off) means opener cannot have more than 1 top loser in the red suits.

1c 3n 4c*
4d dia cue bid
4h heart cue bid (most likely this bid is made because this hand has no spade control but that is not always the case.
4s denies a spade control but has other values of use that cannot be safely shown (else a simple 5c bid). With a spade control this hand either takes over the bidding with 4n (blackwood) or merely cue bids where their other values lay).

That is pretty much the basics. This is a BIG topic and you can learn much more by reading about Roman cue bids and Last Train

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-28, 11:10

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-December-28, 09:11, said:

The rule I use is that if partner has already denied control in the suit, then me cueing it promises, otherwise it denies. I DON'T play first round before second, this may be different if you do.

There are all too many possible agreements, the important thing is decide one with partner and practice it a lot.
For instance we play Roman cuebids which show the most economical control whether first or second level and never deny.

but 1-3-4-4 would deny a diamond control.

and partner will stop in 4 unless he has diamond control (for us at least second level).

eg 1-3-4- now to bid 4 would show a club control as partner has denied one.

For us this ONLY shows club control and says nothing about hearts - Belladonna's "Squeeze" convention.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users