BBO Discussion Forums: Routine or not? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Routine or not?

#1 User is offline   Wackojack 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 894
  • Joined: 2004-September-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2017-December-19, 16:10

{comments}


1. Q lead to Ace
2. small to Q

What next?
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal
0

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

  • VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,873
  • Joined: 2009-November-14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Houston, TX

Posted 2017-December-19, 17:42

View PostWackojack, on 2017-December-19, 16:10, said:

http://www.bridgebas...CCJ%7Cmc%7C9%7C

1. Q lead to Ace
2. small to Q

What next?


Scoring method helps
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"





0

#3 User is offline   mcphee 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,446
  • Joined: 2003-February-16

Posted 2017-December-20, 02:53

My assumption is RHO has 5C and quite possibly a stiff A or K of D. I can not afford to lead a S to the 10, so its the A. I hope it wins cash trumps to get a count. It is looking like LHO may have 3S.
0

#4 User is offline   Wackojack 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 894
  • Joined: 2004-September-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2017-December-20, 11:18

Imps
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal
0

#5 User is offline   johnu 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,696
  • Joined: 2008-September-10

Posted 2017-December-20, 14:20

What are the opponents lead conventions? Initially it looks like East is leading from shortness, but the 10 gives another story since with K10x(x)(x) and looking at J98x in dummy, who is going to play the 10 since that looks to be a sure winner? So it feels like East has lead from KQxx(x) along with with an expected 7 diamonds. A spade void is a possibility.

I don't want to commit to a spade guess until later, so I'm going to lead Q from dummy to establish an entry to North. I can afford to lose a diamond, club, and club ruff if I guess the spades later, and will likely have a complete count on the distribution.
0

#6 User is offline   relknes 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 249
  • Joined: 2011-January-22
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2017-December-20, 14:24

Next I call the director, as North has 14 cards?
2

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

  • VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,873
  • Joined: 2009-November-14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Houston, TX

Posted 2017-December-20, 17:28

View PostWackojack, on 2017-December-20, 11:18, said:

Imps


Thanks but is it my browser or not I have no idea I am having hard time to read the hands (too small). But if I am not wrong, North has 14 cards, no?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"





0

#8 User is offline   Wackojack 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 894
  • Joined: 2004-September-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2017-December-20, 18:28

Really sorry I don't know how that happened.
As far as aware East was playing standard leads. and fwiiw udca carding


1. Q 6 10 Ace
2. Q 8 3 5

Next?
I was North and East-West opps were competent

We were playing saved viewgraph hands.
North -Souths were Hamman/Zia and Helness/Helgemo
East- Wests were Multon/Zimmermann and Nickell/Katz
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal
0

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,742
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 2017-December-20, 19:47

View PostWackojack, on 2017-December-20, 18:28, said:

We were playing saved viewgraph hands.
North -Souths were Hamman/Zia and Helness/Helgemo
East- Wests were Multon/Zimmermann and Nickell/Katz

Except that in the original Nickell passed with the East hand and Multon opened 1.

What disturbs me a little is the way you phrased the OP here. Is one logical line not to start with AK under the assumption that Opener does not hold Q?
(-: Zel :-)
0

#10 User is offline   Wackojack 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 894
  • Joined: 2004-September-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2017-December-21, 05:03

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-December-20, 19:47, said:

Except that in the original Nickell passed with the East hand and Multon opened 1.

What disturbs me a little is the way you phrased the OP here. Is one logical line not to start with AK under the assumption that Opener does not hold Q?


Are you saying this is the best line then? Or are you saying this is another line that should not be ruled out and I should just have given the opening lead and no more? Yes perhaps it would have been better if I had done this.

It may be giving away information to say what they did on viewgraph, I am asking for the considered best line after the 4 opening bid at my BBO table.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal
0

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,742
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 2017-December-21, 06:01

View PostWackojack, on 2017-December-21, 05:03, said:

Are you saying this is the best line then? Or are you saying this is another line that should not be ruled out and I should just have given the opening lead and no more? Yes perhaps it would have been better if I had done this.

It may be giving away information to say what they did on viewgraph, I am asking for the considered best line after the 4 opening bid at my BBO table.

I am not really qualified to say if it is the best line but it is certainly a line I like after the 4 opening as it simplifies the play greatly. I would not try it after a 1 opening but in that case we would also not be in 4.
(-: Zel :-)
0

#12 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,316
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-December-22, 12:27

View PostWackojack, on 2017-December-20, 18:28, said:


As far as aware East was playing standard leads. and fwiiw udca carding
1. Q 6 10 Ace
2. Q 8 3 5
I was North and East-West opps were competent
We were playing saved viewgraph hands.
North -Souths were Hamman/Zia and Helness/Helgemo
East- Wests were Multon/Zimmermann and Nickell/Katz

With 3 tricks 5+ tricks, we only need to be careful with trumps.
JohnU points out that RHO seems to have 4 s. He also has least 7 s, so we should probably start with K, intending to play LHO for length, making at least 11 tricks.
0

#13 User is offline   Wackojack 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 894
  • Joined: 2004-September-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2017-December-22, 16:50

View Postnige1, on 2017-December-22, 12:27, said:

With 3 tricks 5+ tricks, we only need to be careful with trumps.
JohnU points out that RHO seems to have 4 s. He also has least 7 s, so we should probably start with K, intending to play LHO for length, making at least 11 tricks.

If East has 7 +4 and you next lead KThen:
With 0274 East ruffs and you cannot get back to hand to take finesse so 1 down.
With 1174 East follows. What next? Looks like you have to play another spade and take the known? finesse provided you were right about 7-4. East ruffs and you make 10 tricks
2074 is excluded if you have already played a at trick 2.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal
0

#14 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,316
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-December-22, 20:50

View PostWackojack, on 2017-December-22, 16:50, said:

If East has 7 +4 and you next lead KThen:
With 0274 East ruffs and you cannot get back to hand to take finesse so 1 down.
With 1174 East follows. What next? Looks like you have to play another spade and take the known? finesse provided you were right about 7-4. East ruffs and you make 10 tricks
2074 is excluded if you have already played a at trick 2.

Sorry, I'd forgotton what suit was trumps :) again :)
0

#15 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,316
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-December-22, 21:04

View PostWackojack, on 2017-December-19, 16:10, said:

http://www.bridgebas...CCJ%7Cmc%7C9%7C
1. Q lead to Ace
2. small to Q
What next?

After A, Q, A ruffed by East, A, K ruffed by North:

Can you recover by: Cashing AKJ discarding 3s. Then exiting in s

This seems to work even if you misguess s :)

1

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,742
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 2017-December-23, 03:41

View Postnige1, on 2017-December-22, 21:04, said:

After A, Q, A ruffed by East, A, K ruffed by North:

And if East underleads the at T4 and West provides a second ruff? :o
(-: Zel :-)
0

#17 User is offline   Wackojack 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 894
  • Joined: 2004-September-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2017-December-23, 05:41

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-December-23, 03:41, said:

And if East underleads the at T4 and West provides a second ruff? :o

That would be a killer if East were 0373 and not 74 in the minors as assumed.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal
0

#18 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,742
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 2017-December-23, 06:10

View PostWackojack, on 2017-December-23, 05:41, said:

That would be a killer if East were 0373 and not 74 in the minors as assumed.

A distribution all the more annoying when we could have picked the trumps up by starting with A.... B-)
(-: Zel :-)
0

#19 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,350
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2017-December-30, 14:29

I followed your line, and you had 11 top tricks after ruffing out K. 3 clubs, 1 spade, 6 hearts, 1. Discarding dummy's clubs was a poor play.

About the general play, I have no idea, what is Gib leading queen from? if it is doubleton or singleton I like A, Q, Q to cut their communication, you can afford a club ruff as long as you can pitch your spades on the clubs.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users