Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Human vs. GIBBO Fun stuff

#1 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-December-07, 08:17

In MB sometimes an opponent gets disconnected. Then the deal is I think handed over to some all GIBBO table from the point the opponent went missing.
No way can you find out what transpired at the ALL-GIBBO table. At least I don't know of any way.
When I looked at this deal later I was livid since declarer has 2 sure losers and yet got 980.
But then looking at it further there is a way to make which GIBBO does quite often. Still I would like to know what transpired at the ALL_GIBBO table.
Also, a question is would the human declarer have found the play?

vrock

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-December-07, 10:43

How did they make 6? Looks like it takes a defensive error.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-07, 12:33

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-December-07, 10:43, said:

How did they make 6? Looks like it takes a defensive error.

The final contract isn't shown, but presumably 6 is the final contract.

Obviously a club or heart opening lead lets 6 make and with North having 10 HCP, it is more likely that one of those leads is a mistake rather than just "unlucky". That's my guess as to why 6 was made, and I would give odds that A was the opening lead.

A trump lead would give an expert declarer a chance to get this right. If you assume North has A and K for the passive spade lead, then you might risk a 2nd round diamond ruff, and win, the first spade in hand, play 2 rounds of diamonds, ruff a diamond, cross to dummy with a trump, play the last winning diamond and a few trumps.

When the J isn't covered or the ace played, duck and North will be end played.

I don't think GIB is capable of that play so that's why I think North led a heart or club.

#4 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-December-08, 08:59

View Postjohnu, on 2017-December-07, 12:33, said:

The final contract isn't shown, but presumably 6 is the final contract.

Obviously a club or heart opening lead lets 6 make and with North having 10 HCP, it is more likely that one of those leads is a mistake rather than just "unlucky". That's my guess as to why 6 was made, and I would give odds that A was the opening lead.

A trump lead would give an expert declarer a chance to get this right. If you assume North has A and K for the passive spade lead, then you might risk a 2nd round diamond ruff, and win, the first spade in hand, play 2 rounds of diamonds, ruff a diamond, cross to dummy with a trump, play the last winning diamond and a few trumps.

When the J isn't covered or the ace played, duck and North will be end played.

I don't think GIB is capable of that play so that's why I think North led a heart or club.

I thought GIBBO made it with strip squeeze and endplay which GIBBO is VERY good at and would do that instead of straight forward h finesse.
johnu, could you provide more detail in your play in 6S? bottom line is cash 5S, 4d(with ruff), and evaluate last 4 card position before you cash 6th spade. does not seem automatic as you suggest. Dummy has to pitch before GIBBO.

thanks
vrock

#5 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-08, 12:28

View Postvirgosrock, on 2017-December-08, 08:59, said:

I thought GIBBO made it with strip squeeze and endplay which GIBBO is VERY good at and would do that instead of straight forward h finesse.
johnu, could you provide more detail in your play in 6S? bottom line is cash 5S, 4d(with ruff), and evaluate last 4 card position before you cash 6th spade. does not seem automatic as you suggest. Dummy has to pitch before GIBBO.

I didn't say the play was automatic. You have to decide if South has ducked A (you need to go up K), or North is leading away from A after winning the first club.

You don't want to cash all the trumps before making the club play. If you play all the trumps, if an opponent comes down to Ax and a heart, you can't afford to strip squeeze North for a heart return because they can cash 2 club tricks once you bare the K (unless they have bared K). You started out with ~75% chance to make the contract, A or K onside so you don't want to reduce your chances.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users