• You cannot reply to this topic

Disputed hesitation EBU

#61 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-December-12, 18:41

View Postpran, on 2017-December-12, 08:40, said:

Depends on the jurisdiction.
In Norway the STOP period begins when STOP is faced and ends when it is removed.
However, LHO is always entitled to a 10 seconds pause even if the STOP card is removed earlier (or not used although required).

Just showing the STOP card and then immediately removing it is a violation of our regulations.

And not doing it that way is a violation of ours, until next month, anyway.

Barry points out that the purpose of the change is to deal with those who use the stop card for illegal purposes, like distinguishing between two strength ranges. Well and good, but the problem of fast tempo breaks still exists, and it is not be addressed by this change.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#62 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-13, 06:42

View Postpran, on 2017-December-11, 20:55, said:

LHO has far more important matters to consider than maintaining a pause.

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-December-12, 18:37, said:

Maybe so, but so what? He still has to follow the regulation. In theory, anyway.

So our regulation recognizes that fact and requires the skip-bidder to take care of the timing while LHO may concentrate on his own call.

#63 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-13, 07:20

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-December-12, 18:37, said:

Maybe so, but so what? He still has to follow the regulation. In theory, anyway.

Yes, pran is simply pointing out how poor this regulation is.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#64 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-13, 07:23

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-December-12, 18:41, said:

And not doing it that way is a violation of ours, until next month, anyway.

Barry points out that the purpose of the change is to deal with those who use the stop card for illegal purposes, like distinguishing between two strength ranges. Well and good, but the problem of fast tempo breaks still exists, and it is not be addressed by this change.

No indeed, and changing this regulation (other than requiring the Stop card to be held out by the bidder) is not a very good way to deter cheaters.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#65 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-13, 10:29

View Postpran, on 2017-December-13, 06:42, said:

So our regulation recognizes that fact and requires the skip-bidder to take care of the timing while LHO may concentrate on his own call.

View PostVampyr, on 2017-December-13, 07:20, said:

Yes, pran is simply pointing out how poor this regulation is.

Oh, I don't disagree that it's poor, and that Norway's and England's are better. Worse, this change attempts to deal with perceived (by the C&C Committee I guess) problems while ignoring the elephant in the room. I suppose the ACBL may get around to that elephant some day. :ph34r:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#66 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-December-13, 21:54

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-December-12, 18:41, said:

Well and good, but the problem of fast tempo breaks still exists, and it is not be addressed by this change.

Since almost all players ignored the Stop card (either never pausing unless they had something to think about, or always pausing regardless of whether the card was used), neither would maintaining the status quo. Since the Stop card wasn't serving the intended purpose, and was instead being used inappropriately by some players, they decided to solve that second problem, since it's more tractable.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users