BBO Discussion Forums: GIBidiot's (sry jdonn) next finest moment - pull pd's double - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIBidiot's (sry jdonn) next finest moment - pull pd's double GIBidding

#1 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-November-30, 10:38

Rule should be "When partner doubles and is not responsive or negative STFU especially at 4-level or above, especially if pard is not GIB".

I am not proud of my play. Was in shock after dummy showed 4C and the ridiculous pull.

vrock

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-November-30, 14:16

When human partner's pull pen X cause they are void in trump. I ask them if they considered that the reason they are void in trump is because I have a lot?
They don't seem to get it though.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-30, 15:15

i open 1 south. my prefer. do not like to have xxxx but with four of suit i think it better than 1. not ideally but 3/3 / open 1. 4/3/ open 4 long suit

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-30, 15:24

I think the pull is reasonable. South didn't make a support double so he has at least four clubs. I believe that unless partner is a position to make a unilateral penalty double, you should usually pull it with a void in trumps.

The double is speculative. Not really bad but you must be prepared that it can backfire.

I have other issues with GIB's bidding, though. Why does 3 show 9-12 points? Also, since GIB doesn't play Walsh I am not sure why it bids this rubbish heart suit first. Especially when playing NMF so it can't bid diamonds naturally later.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-30, 15:38

View Posthelene_t, on 2017-November-30, 15:24, said:

Also, since GIB doesn't play Walsh I am not sure why it bids this rubbish heart suit first.

Gib appears to play Walsh even though it's cc doesn't say will bypass suit it almost always does.

#6 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-30, 15:47

I think the pull is reasonable. South didn't make a support double so he has at least four clubs. I believe that unless partner is a position to make a unilateral penalty double, you should usually pull it with a void in trumps.

The double is speculative. Not really bad but you must be prepared that it can backfire.

Agreed the double is speculative. But Gib shouldn't be assuming this. To pull a double to the 5-level you need a reason to think 4 making and 5 makes or at least not a disaster. Partner has said it's going down. Going by the usual crap Gib doubles on all doubles should be pulled and Gib pulls way too many doubles.

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-30, 16:21

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-November-30, 15:38, said:

Gib appears to play Walsh even though it's cc doesn't say will bypass suit it almost always does.

But it still rebids 1M with balanced hands, I think. Which means that it doesn't have to bid a 4-card major first as responder. It may be a reasonable to do it when the major is good and the diamonds are not worth talking about.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-30, 16:57

Pulling the double would be pretty ridiculous if this was a human player, but par for the course for GIB :(

South passed out 3, East has a strong NT hand, so what do you think the odds are of making 5 when South was unwilling to bid past 3 and has announced good values in spades and strong interest in 4X?

Whether the double is speculative or not is not North's problem. Of course, the double backfired because North was a GIB and the programming is bad.

FWIW, this hand is an interesting Law of Total Tricks example.

#9 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2017-November-30, 22:37

View PostLBengtsson, on 2017-November-30, 15:15, said:

i open 1 south. my prefer. do not like to have xxxx but with four of suit i think it better than 1. not ideally but 3/3 / open 1. 4/3/ open 4 long suit

me too...without a second thought

#10 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-01, 12:10

View Postzhasbeen, on 2017-November-30, 22:37, said:

me too...without a second thought

Yes. opening the wrong minor is a tactic people employ with Gib. Sometimes it throws off the defense amongst other things. I don't know how successful they are.

#11 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-01, 15:40

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-December-01, 12:10, said:

Yes. opening the wrong minor is a tactic people employ with Gib. Sometimes it throws off the defense amongst other things. I don't know how successful they are.

yes. i use it against GIBby to throw its lead calculations off. works sometimes.

vrock

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users