Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is down one good bridge

#1 User is offline   jammen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-November-29, 13:04

When the robots routinely double dummy defense (I can give many examples) is it playing good bridge to get out for down one?

#2 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-November-29, 13:53

If others are going down two, then it's good. If they are making, then it's bad. That's why we play duplicate.

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-29, 14:22

Do you have a specific example? Basically, every hand stands on its own and GIB "frequently" misdefends. I would estimate that exceptional double dummy defense by GIB is infrequent enough to be considered rare.

#4 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-29, 16:53

In robot tourneys it is a lot more predictable what the "field" will be doing than in real life.

In real life, you might reason that even at matchpoints it may be good to go for the relatively small chance of making, even at the expense of a possible two down. This is because if the field is all over the place, one down and two down may give similar matchpoints.

In a robot tourney, unless you made some debatable choice (say a very light overcall), you can expect most of the field to be playing the same contract as you, and receive the same opening lead etc. So playing safe for one down is relatively attractive.

The fact that robots defend less than perfect is not so much of an issue here. Humans make mistakes also. You might learn how to exploit GIB-specific types of mistakes but that isn't really related to the one-down-is-good-bridge issue.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-30, 10:30

helene_t, on 2017-November-29, 16:53, said:

In robot tourneys it is a lot more predictable what the "field" will be doing than in real life.

In real life, you might reason that even at matchpoints it may be good to go for the relatively small chance of making, even at the expense of a possible two down. This is because if the field is all over the place, one down and two down may give similar matchpoints.

In a robot tourney, unless you made some debatable choice (say a very light overcall), you can expect most of the field to be playing the same contract as you, and receive the same opening lead etc. So playing safe for one down is relatively attractive.

The fact that robots defend less than perfect is not so much of an issue here. Humans make mistakes also. You might learn how to exploit GIB-specific types of mistakes but that isn't really related to the one-down-is-good-bridge issue.

The Abbess. I have watched Zia and heavy money bridge hitters at the Cavendish in NY City. The play Chicago 4 deals at a time. I was quite surprised at the down 1 and down 2 scores I saw. Of course MP is a different ball game. I generally consider GIBBO's defense to be quite good especially the way it screws up opponents' entries and communication.
It is the BIDDING which is pathetic.

vrock

#6 User is offline   jammen 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-30, 11:58

johnu, on 2017-November-29, 14:22, said:

Do you have a specific example? Basically, every hand stands on its own and GIB "frequently" misdefends. I would estimate that exceptional double dummy defense by GIB is infrequent enough to be considered rare.

My first post http://www.bridgebas..._1#entry886232. RHO opened 1D, I overcalled 1NT which partner raised to 3NT. LHO spurned his diamonds to lead the Jack from jxx. This double dummy lead is straight out of Bridge in the Menagerie. Of course I misplayed AQ9x vs Kxx when another line was possible.

As a newbie perhaps someone could explain Bridge 4 scoring to me. I'm baffled as to strategy.

#7 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-30, 15:04

jammen, on 2017-November-30, 11:58, said:

My first post http://www.bridgebas..._1#entry886232. RHO opened 1D, I overcalled 1NT which partner raised to 3NT. LHO spurned his diamonds to lead the Jack from jxx. This double dummy lead is straight out of Bridge in the Menagerie. Of course I misplayed AQ9x vs Kxx when another line was possible.

While that lead may have been the result of a double dummy simulation, it was more lucky than good. The hands could easily have been something like

or

Would you still think GIB was playing double dummy defense?

#8 User is offline   jammen 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-30, 15:32

If that ever happens I will report it. So far, however, all I've seen is flawless defense. These robots always find killing leads and get their ruffs for the setting trick.

Can anyone give info on Bridge 4 scoring. As far as I can tell it is not imps nor duplicate.

#9 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-30, 21:28

jammen, on 2017-November-30, 15:32, said:

If that ever happens I will report it. So far, however, all I've seen is flawless defense. These robots always find killing leads and get their ruffs for the setting trick.

You must be paying extra for the "Double Secret" superadvanced GIBs. :P

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-December-02, 03:47

In general, unless you are sacrificing, 1-down is bad news. At MP, 2-down vulnerable is often a disaster -- Pairs players pursue pluses..
At imps, 1-down can be good Bridge, when you bid a close game or a game that that is slightly odds-against.

#11 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-02, 08:16

johnu, on 2017-November-30, 21:28, said:

You must be paying extra for the "Double Secret" superadvanced GIBs. :P

Whatever GIBBO is used for money bridge, leads are great, defense mostly accurate, screwing up opponents communications excellent, negative inferences available when it won't lead the suit you overcall - either it has length or void.
Goes off the rails when opponents bid deceptively, which I do at risk because my partner is GIBBO.

it is the BIDDING which is PATHETIC.

vrock

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users