BBO Discussion Forums: Types of hands GIBBO opens 1NT when 5M - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Types of hands GIBBO opens 1NT when 5M GIBidding

#1 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-November-28, 10:49

your input appreciated.

vrock

#2 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2017-November-28, 12:03

virgosrock, on 2017-November-28, 10:49, said:

your input appreciated.

vrock

I felt anxious to comment, so I haven't looked for the actual hand. However, I'm certain of the pattern. It was 15 hcp, with AK10xx and worthless doubleton. I bring it up because I don't care for NT opening in this case and made a mental note to add to my GIB "know what to expect file."

One of the main reasons to open a 1N with 5-card major is to solve rebid problem, which doesn't exist with a 15 pointer. I base my decisions mostly on rebid considerations. I consider a worthless doubleton, and only 2 of other major to be slight negatives. One of the advantages of opening 1NT with 5 of major is that it is often easier to find 5-3 fit in other major than it would be otherwise.

All that said, I have no great objection any one of the above. It's when there are two or 3 negatives that I start to lean in direction of opening 1 of the major. All based on my opinion only.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users