BBO Discussion Forums: GIB doesn't compete to 4S - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB doesn't compete to 4S

#1 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2017-November-27, 11:55

It took a reopening double for GIB to bid 4S. My question is why it wouldn't do so directly after the 4H bid. It's north's first pass that I'm talking about.
The same robots managed to reach 4H with a weak 2 opposite a passed hand, but could not find a 4S bid with the north hand?? From my experience GIB is not usually shy in this type of situation. I was puzzled, and wondering if something else hadn't gone wrong with his inner workings.

My reopening double seems much more in question than a 4S call by north. What would I do if GIB bid 5C? I was prepared for 5S, 5D, or having double left in, but would still be in the tank after 5C. At least he didn't leave the double in with that hand.
I had decided not to post any more GIB bugs, glitches, figuring that if programmers could fix most of the ones they already know about it would be a huge plus. However, this one is little different than what I have been accustomed to, and some may not even consider it a problem.

See link for full deal >> http://tinyurl.com/yd7wudqe

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-November-27, 13:14

Gibs raise to 4 is based on the law of total tricks. This is a case where Gib will take a position which is often a sacrifice.
Other than Gib not handling distributional hands well it's hard to explain not bidding 4. From North's view 4 has to be close to making as is 4.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2017-November-27, 19:45

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-November-27, 13:14, said:

Gibs raise to 4 is based on the law of total tricks. This is a case where Gib will take a position which is often a sacrifice.
Other than Gib not handling distributional hands well it's hard to explain not bidding 4. From North's view 4 has to be close to making as is 4.

GIB has its problems but I wouldn't have expected this. "He" is usually decent in competitive situations like this. He is contributing 5 trump, a void, and good 2nd suit, but chose to pass--go figure. Six is actually a good contract. It would only take 4-3 clubs and 2-1 trumps, even if Qd and Ac were both off side. Ac lead made it easy.

#4 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-28, 05:41

View Postzhasbeen, on 2017-November-27, 11:55, said:

It took a reopening double for GIB to bid 4S. My question is why it wouldn't do so directly after the 4H bid. It's north's first pass that I'm talking about.
The same robots managed to reach 4H with a weak 2 opposite a passed hand, but could not find a 4S bid with the north hand?? From my experience GIB is not usually shy in this type of situation. I was puzzled, and wondering if something else hadn't gone wrong with his inner workings.

My reopening double seems much more in question than a 4S call by north. What would I do if GIB bid 5C? I was prepared for 5S, 5D, or having double left in, but would still be in the tank after 5C. At least he didn't leave the double in with that hand.
I had decided not to post any more GIB bugs, glitches, figuring that if programmers could fix most of the ones they already know about it would be a huge plus. However, this one is little different than what I have been accustomed to, and some may not even consider it a problem.

See link for full deal >> http://tinyurl.com/yd7wudqe

Methinks we need to determine the "points" range and hcp range for 4S by GIBBO. maybe smerriman/Stephen Tu can shed some light on that. I think it is likely to be 13-15 "points" and 3+ spades which would explain GIBBO's pass. Human thinking would say bid 4S but GLOBBY is not human.
I was wrong in thinking "points" are applicable only when a fit is found. http://www.bridgebas...ystem_notes.php

"HCP vs Total Points

Gib uses both old fashioned HCP (A=4, K=3, Q=2, J=1)) and “Total points” (HCP+3 for void, 2 for singleton, 1 for doubleton, but short suits containing an honor are reduced by 1 point). It will usually force to game if it thinks it has 25 Total Points between the two hands."

Though I 100% remember from a long time ago I read A=8points, K=4 points, Q=2 points AND applicable when fit is found. Looks like this has changed since then.

What does "short suits .... are reduced by 1 point" mean? If I have HonorX where X=A,K,Q,J what does it mean?

The GIBug fix here is if you were going to bid 4S over 2H or 3H (which it does often) then bid same over 4H as well.

Lucky you managed to get to 4S :)

vrock

#5 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-28, 08:34

View Postvirgosrock, on 2017-November-28, 05:41, said:

Methinks we need to determine the "points" range and hcp range for 4S by GIBBO. maybe smerriman/Stephen Tu can shed some light on that. I think it is likely to be 13-15 "points" and 3+ spades which would explain GIBBO's pass. Human thinking would say bid 4S but GLOBBY is not human.
I was wrong in thinking "points" are applicable only when a fit is found. http://www.bridgebas...ystem_notes.php

"HCP vs Total Points

Gib uses both old fashioned HCP (A=4, K=3, Q=2, J=1)) and “Total points” (HCP+3 for void, 2 for singleton, 1 for doubleton, but short suits containing an honor are reduced by 1 point). It will usually force to game if it thinks it has 25 Total Points between the two hands."

Though I 100% remember from a long time ago I read A=8points, K=4 points, Q=2 points AND applicable when fit is found. Looks like this has changed since then.

What does "short suits .... are reduced by 1 point" mean? If I have HonorX where X=A,K,Q,J what does it mean?

The GIBug fix here is if you were going to bid 4S over 2H or 3H (which it does often) then bid same over 4H as well.

Lucky you managed to get to 4S :)

vrock

What happened to "The Law" with at least 10 known spades?

#6 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-28, 08:41

View Postzhasbeen, on 2017-November-28, 08:34, said:

What happened to "The Law" with at least 10 known spades?

keeping in mind all of GIBBO's idiocies, it cant apply both the LAW and 13-15 "points".

vrock

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users