• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Puzzling bidding question 0=5=6=2

#21 User is offline   bravejason 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-November-27, 11:06

I'm of the opinion that if 1of a major promises five cards, then you need to open 1 of a major whenever you can. If you have a good enough hand to reverse then you can look at other options. If you don't open the five card major then partner assumes you have four at most and it becomes difficult to communicate that you have 5 unless your system has a backdoor way to let you show the 5 card major.

So I'd open the OP hand 1 heart and if partner can't support hearts, rebid diamonds until the cows come home.

#22 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-November-27, 12:03

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-November-27, 11:01, said:

We play something like this, but basically it's "2 good suits, not a good hand" so make the hand KJ10xx, AKJxxx, xx we'd use this sequence, the suits here aren't good enough

Most of the books and articles (example) I have seen on the idea either talk about exercising judgement or explicitly point out that the suits should be good, so I would regard your approach as mainstream. The question becomes where the cutoff lies - QJxxx and A9xxxx are not great suits but also not bad, so I could easily see this hand coming up on either side of the line for different pairs.
(-: Zel :-)

#23 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-28, 01:14

http://bridgewinners...m-2-haddt8zepv/
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#24 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-November-28, 02:11

I'm also a 1 bidder on this hand. Sure it has 11 red cards, but poor suit quality really pushes me toward bidding the major first. Make it S - H KQ10xx D AQ10xxx C xx and I'd bid it naturally starting with 1 - still not many HCP, but much better playing strength.

Responder could always make a negative double if no other bid fits and follow up with a NT bid later. This might by agreement show more than 13-15 if that's what a direct 3 NT over 1 would show.

#25 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-November-28, 03:28

View PostMrAce, on 2017-November-28, 01:14, said:

As the first respondent writes, there is quite a difference between + and + on these hands and it is unwise to draw too many conclusions from one hand type when speaking of the other.
(-: Zel :-)

#26 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-November-28, 03:42

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-November-27, 12:03, said:

Most of the books and articles (example) I have seen on the idea either talk about exercising judgement or explicitly point out that the suits should be good, so I would regard your approach as mainstream. The question becomes where the cutoff lies - QJxxx and A9xxxx are not great suits but also not bad, so I could easily see this hand coming up on either side of the line for different pairs.

We're quite specific about it, it's an extension of playing 1-1-3 as 5-5 one of top 2, 3 of top 5, not a huge amount outside. We allow a little latitude when 6-5 but not this much.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users